Where the ******** are you? A Travel Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by bunge, Nov 25, 2017.

1. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

The only correct answer is "Yes."

To follow up on @skinut, if I could make a couple of suggestions:

"Central or Eastern" Europe: Krakow is great. Prague and Český Krumlov are awesome. Kutna Hory is interesting, as it has the "Sedlec Ossuary" (a chapel decorated in human bones). Really, all of Czech Republic is great.
    Budapest is nice, but not nearly as much fun as Prague.
    Vienna is lovely, but super expensive
    UK: York (amazing walled city). Edinburgh and Inverness (if you want to go to Loch Ness)
    Ireland: Skip Dublin, unless you are going for 1 or 2 days. It is a bit boring to me (I lived there while in school). Galway is more fun. The Aran Islands and Cliffs of Mohr are interesting.

2. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You go to Scandinavia and she goes to Italy. That sounds like the greatest vacation ever. ;)
    Scandinavia is next on my list of places to go.
    As soon as my partner gets her passport situation sorted out (her Polish passport expired and the consulate will not renew it), we are off to Scandinavia.

skinut and bunge repped this.
  3. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I am biased.

Go to Italy.

4. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always wanted to see Budapest and Prague. Prague could still be done. With the gov't. in Hungary, not so sure about Budapest right now.

As far as Scandinavia goes, I recommend Copenhagen for the street sausages. Sure, there's Tivoli, the royal palace, all kinds of great restaurants, etc. but for someone from Chicago, it's the street sausages. I'd also recommend getting onto Jutland as well, for a slightly different take on Hygge.

In Stockholm, Gamla Stan (Old Town) is a bit of a tourist cliché in that everyone goes there, but it's well worth it. There's the royal palace and the stop I enjoyed the most, the Nobel Museum. At the time of year you're going, a ferry amongst the islands of the city would be well advised as well. Unfortunately (other than on the train) I didn't get to anyplace else in Sweden. Would have loved to have gone north.

We've crossed the border into Norway and should arrive in Oslo in about an hour. I'll update on Norway later.

5. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Fjord!

skinut repped this.
  6. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I second Scotland. Edinburgh is my second favorite city in the world after Kyoto. It's a perfect combination of history and modern, touristy and off the beaten path (especially in the non-summer off-season). The Highlands and the Isles are absolutely beautiful wild lands. I even like bagpipes.

7. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I LOVE bagpipes. Bought a good set in Stirling a few years back and have taken some lessons and can play it a bit.

Ke1n and GHjelm repped this.
  8. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I've been to Paris
    And it ain't that pretty at all
    I've been to Rome
    Guess what?
    I'd like to go back to Paris someday and visit the Louvre Museum
    Get a good running start and hurl myself at the wall
    Going to hurl myself against the wall
    'Cause I'd rather feel bad than feel nothing at all
    And it ain't that pretty at all

9. Ke1n

Ke1n Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #259 Ke1n, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Sorry Bunge couldn't find the cuttlefish on a stick. There was a couple of things I didn't see that I was expecting. I only saw the cart full of insects one time too, I was waiting till I was feeling toasty to get some crickets but it didn't happen.

At the recommendation of a Canadian I was talking to watching the Bears game I got some fresh Durian. I've seen enough food shows to have a rough idea of what I was getting in to but he was like "It's so good!" It smelled rank and the one bite I took tasted of a mango combined with rotten onions. How anyone can think that tastes good is beyond me so I just assume he was trolling me hard.

I checkout in half an hour and start my way back to the airport. I'm going to miss this place tremendously and it's definitely replacing my yearly Vegas trip for next year.

I also got a small glimpse into the future when polekatz becomes our sponsor.

[​IMG]

I'll be back home soon freezing with the rest of you :cry:

I'll leave you guys with a parting shot of the view from the hotel pool. I'll never forget how beautiful it looks.

[​IMG]

bunge, GHjelm, Jiggly_333 and 2 others repped this.
  10. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a night in Aberdeen, now in Edinburgh for a few days. One of these days I'll figure out how to move photos from my phone to the computer.

GHjelm and xtomx repped this.
  11. Ke1n

Ke1n Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scored a really cheap flight to the UK in March ($288 round trip which I didn't think was too shabby) so I'll be there for a week. I was thinking of taking a train then catching a ferry to Ireland for a couple of those days. Anybody got any must do's or hidden gems I can sneak in in a week?

Jiggly_333, skinut, bunge and 1 other person repped this.
  12. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Just bought my ticket for next year’s trip to Malta.

skinut repped this.
  13. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So talked it over with the wife, we will be going to Copenhagen, Prague, Barcelona, and London in October.

xtomx, GHjelm and skinut repped this.
  14. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    That’s a lot of movement. Hopefully you get to take your time and ride some trains.

15. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently in Castle Pines, CO for Christmas.

GHjelm repped this.
  16. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think 2 and a half weeks should be close to being enough.

bunge repped this.
  17. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Dyer, Indiana. Hopefully leaving soon.

xtomx and bunge repped this.
  18. bunge

Oct 24, 2000

19. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's not to like about Dyer? We got a brewery that's practically in the forest that allows you to bring your own Harold's Chicken to eat while drinking. Edit I see you're in Batavia and read the wikipedia page about it. Apparently you're the Windmill City. You should have come on a day the brewery I'm talking about is open https://www.windmillbrew.com/#

GHjelm repped this.
  20. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I hear Belfast’s nice.

21. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beautiful Dyer Indiana with no long sleeve shirt or coat on. Granted you could be murdered 5 miles from here but this is my happy place. Can be in the city in half hour if something is really calling me
    IMG_20181226_095453124_HDR.jpg

22. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We like to joke about Dyer/Munster and Indiana in general with a pretend sense of superiority, being from IL and Chicago originally. I especially give my upper-crust wife, who was raised in the Hilton Hawaiian Village, Pasadena, and finally Barrington, a hard time because she was born at Munster Community Hospital. That said, Dyer in particular is really on the up. Even just since my in-laws moved there from Barrington a year and a half ago, it's really developed a lot.

sportscrazed2 repped this.
  23. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My kid brother was born at that hospital. Its weird how a line on a map I can literally walk over gives people a sense of superiority.

GHjelm repped this.
  24. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Take that shit to the politics thread!

sportscrazed2 and GHjelm repped this.
  25. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire