Where In The World Are Former Quakes?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Naco, Aug 10, 2008.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our front office has sucked so hard for so long, it's getting difficult to remember all of the stupid, lame-brained, idiotic moves they made. Failing to protect Shea Salinas was a classic boneheaded move, given that they then went out and got him back. We're soooooooo stupid.

Jesse will be better than this, and ChrisL did a good job last off-season (because most of our overseas signings were in hand before Jesse came on board). So I'm hoping for less stupidity.

Good for Ike, Beita, and Justin.

Shame on us!!!

go quakes!!

- Mark

bsman repped this.
  2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is Jon Conway there? Is he a security guard?

3. tectonicnight

tectonicnight Member

Mar 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps. Depends on how much TFC budgets for goalkeeper coaches.....maybe he has to pull double duty? :whistling::cautious:

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You can never have too many good defenders. The Quakes got nothing of value for Ike, and he was scapegoated for the playoff loss in 2012. Ike is a rare athletic talent, and the idea his being "injury prone" devalues him is akin to saying Andrew Luck is a bum.

5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #1655 JazzyJ, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    FTR, I was opposed to letting him go, and I have been a been a strong opponent of the whole "Ike-lost-the-playoffs-for-us-in-2012" narrative.

But if we are going to look retroactively at the value of the trade, it is just as valid to say, well he hardly played for 2 years, as it is to wonder what happened to Danny Delgado. Ike was injured in 2014 and 2015 but in 2016 he was, apparently in Vermin's estimation, not a regular starter, and did not play in the playoffs. So really this is his "breakout year", something like 8 years after he was drafted. Credit to KC for being patient and sticking with him. His physical talents are off the charts.

6. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don gagliardi repped this.
  7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  8. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    glad you liked it.

This makes me think that the Tim Hanley legacy is reaching pretty far. I'm talking about players he coached either as youth players, or their early years in MLS.
    • Pat Onstad is coaching Zack Steffens at Columbus
    • Jon Conway is coaching Alex Bono at TFC
    • Joe Cannon
    • Didn't he coach Tally Hall at Houston? (Hall is now an Orlando police officer)

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  10. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Exactly. Not a chance in hell he'll come back to the Earthquakes. He's been great at Chelsea (budget not withstanding) and has a stellar reputation.

And speaking of which Caleb Porter is out at Portland. He was only very briefly an Clashquake.

11. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. We called him "Red Card" Porter.

markmcf8 repped this.
  12. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, I mentioned this in a chris leitch thread, but we ran into TIm Hanley at the mall today. He told us he was let go by the Quakes on Wed. Didn't have time to talk, but he looked really good and happy.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    "let go by the Quakes"..."looked really good and happy". Any correlation do you suppose?

But seriously Hanley would seem like a Dom guy through and through having followed him to Houston and back to SJ. Can't imagine he was real pleased with the Dom Dismissal.

14. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe Jesse and Leitch weren't too thrilled about the play of our goalkeepers this year.............

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    ...could all be part of the same thing. I'm sure Tim was a professional, but maybe his heart wasn't in it in the same way, and that could have possibly contributed in some way to the uneven performances.

16. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno. I will ask him about the Dom thing next time I run into him. He said he might stay in the area.

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I'd be surprised if he wasn't pretty negative about that decision. And at this point he doesn't necessarily need to hold back his opinion.

18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, this IS Silicon Valley - he may have an NDA or non-disparagement clause he had to sign to get whatever his payout was...

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    That's true - good point. And he may be a good one to have sign too, if you are the Quakes and worried about your image. I seem to remember him getting into a little trouble with something he posted online. IOW he has been known to speak his mind :).

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo legend Brian Ching aims to build soccer hub in downtown Houston

Brian Ching has been seeking a venture that brings him excitement – as he puts it, a purpose that inspires him “gets [him] out of bed” – and he believes he’s found it in the form of a 25,000-square-foot warehouse kitty-corner to BBVA Compass Stadium.

Between now and next spring, the warehouse at 904 Hutchins Street will be transformed into Pitch 25, a bar slated to open in time for the Houston Dynamo’s first 2018 home match.

Ching’s vision for a soccer bar goes beyond the basic equation of beers and TVs. There will be those, of course – Ching promises more than 100 beers on tap and a full complement of TVs tuned to games around the world, starting with European league matches in the early morning hours of the weekends.

But there will also be a giant, walled-in outdoor beer garden making up about the half the venue, able to seat 1,000 people or more. The outdoor space, which will even include trees, the potential for being a live music venue as well as a gathering spot during the more temperate months of the year.

There’s also an indoor soccer pitch being built inside the venue, about the size of a regulation basketball court, suitable for 3-on-3 or 4-on-4 games –which players can sign up for via a league Pitch 25 will launch as soon as the bar is open for business.

“It’s a big space, and what we wanted to do was to make it appeal to everybody,” Ching says. “Families, soccer players, and beer lovers.”

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    What if, for example, you don't "have a family", play soccer, or love beer? "Families, soccer players, and beer lovers" may be "everybody" in your own little world view, Brian, but it is not in fact "everybody". :)

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In fact, not "everybody" goes to Houston. And who doesn't love beer? :)

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    The parishioners of this temple, for one :).

http://ldschurchtemples.org/houston/