Where did it all go wrong? - The Early Exit WC Wrap Up Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by fernb8, Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    One major problem is that the FA and Premier League (and thus the major clubs) have different aims. In Germany everything falls under the banner of the DFB who want a strong league and a strong national team. The strength of the England team does not factor into the Premier League's goals.

LouisianaViking07/09, M and fernb8 repped this.
  2. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    also worth noting that the Germans are well ahead of the curve before the problem starts by requiring that a minimum of 12 players in each respective Academy be eligible to play for Germany

while the reaction FA is trying to mandate a number of homegrown players (who can technically play for other Countries) for each squad

the egg has already hatched while the FA are still planning how the chickens will shag

3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Interesting comments from Martinez. I just can't see it myself. Always feel like he plays the polite diplomatic stance regarding things that he isn't involved in.

We still don't have a credible playing style or approach to take forward. If it was the long term plan to play with more 'freedom' regardless of how then I can't comprehend why we played the way we did in qualifying? If long term is the plan then why were we playing so regressively in games just to qualify? The Ukraine away game was utterly atrocious. Are we going to go back to that in 2016 qualifying in certain games or stick with this open attacking approach?

It's almost as if this new approach was created overnight and far too late to work in a tournament. We went from a very regressive style in Euro 2012, did the same for certain qualifying games and then flipped it in the opposite direction for this tournament. This is all ignoring the issue of whether Hodgson could ever implement the style required anyway. The way he used friendlies is evidence to me that he isn't experimenting on attempts to create a new style or approach. They were wasted as nothing more than a kick about and to give out caps.

It's going to also be interesting seeing Gary Neville criticising tactical decisions on SkySports soon when he was part of the coaching staff of arguably the most tactically inept team in the whole WC tournament. I think only Cameroon could run us close and they have match fixing queries circling them.

4. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Neville seems to be tactically sharp when he analyses stuff on TV. I want to know just how much input he has into tactical moves. Does Woy decide everything?

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I think Roy decides on these things and if that is the case I guess Neville will feel his role is one of gaining experience from his own perspective for his future. It wouldn't surprise me if it was Neville that convinced Hodgson to play a more open style for this tournament. Only it was Hodgson's attempt at doing that tactically with all the decision making.

6. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Hodgson probably has a clear remit from the FA to blood young players and play a more progressive style... as best he can.

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Most likely. What I would love to know is when this remit was put to him. It should have surely been put forward right after the Euro 2012 tournament so that there was time and more importantly competitive games to work on it. I presume it was only put forward after qualification was secured though.

Meaning we sacrificed this style to get results and will we then do the same in qualifying for Euro 2016? After all qualifying is deemed the achievement now with the FA.

8. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I still think England's biggest problems are between the ears.

9. AllWhitebeliever

AllWhitebeliever Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Well persisting to play 4231 against stronger oppositions was not the wisest choice of formation. England or precisely Hodgeson does not seem to know how to form a different team formation adapted to the strength and weakness of the opposition and the available selection of players. I don't think there was adequate homework done.

10. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    There's nothing wrong with a 4-2-3-1, Germany used one throughout the tournament. The problems is Rooney. When he's on the left he offers no cover and we get hammered on that side, and when he's a #10 he plays too high up[ the pitch and it becomes a de facto 4-4-2. I don't think he's 'finished', I just think he can't be trusted anywhere but as a #9.

11. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  12. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    With the right players it's fine. We didn't have the right players for it either in the 2 (Gerrard/Henderson) or in front of them.

Agreed. He should only be considered a striker - one of Hodgsons biggest mistakes was not having the balls to leave one of Rooney or Sturridge out. It distorted the team and exposed the midfield.

fernb8 repped this.