Where can you follow UK Rugby Leagues?

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by Catfish, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Are there any pubs that are Rugby friendly either 6 Nations, Tri Nations, or Zurich Premiership?

Just curious....making an excuse to visit some pubs downtown this summer and gives me something to do...lol.

2. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    The Globe showed the 6 Nations, $20 a game. Not sure about other tourneys. I'm guessing they might have the Tri Nations, $20 a pop (maybe) and I don't even know if the Zurich Prem is shown on TV.

I need more Rugby on TV. I would like to watch loads more of it

3. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is an inherent ambiguity in your question. "Where can I follow Rugby Leagues", while most of your post talks about Union. I think you meant to ask "Where can I follow more of UK Rugby Union"? :confused:

Anyhow, look out for the upcoming Setanta Residential Channel which is expected to carry lots of Rugby Union both from the Northern and Southern hemisphere.

As for Rugby League (and the only big thing in UK for this sport is the Super League), I think you're out of luck. I personally know or care very little about Rugby League. And outside of small pockets in Northwest England, hardly anyone in UK cares about Rugby League as well.

4. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    the only Rugby League game I've seen was the Super League (i think) Final from AUS, it was kinda fun to watch

5. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't be. Super League is the entity for Rugby League in England. What you watched must have been the NRL Grand Final, if it was from Australia.

Anyway, I can't believe I'm spending these many keystrokes talking about Rugby League. :rolleyes:

If you want to talk about Union on the other hand, Setanta Residential seems like the best bet when it launches.

6. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    yeah, that was it.

shows how much attention I paid to it.

as soon as Setanta Residental comes out I'm getting it, if I can. the more rugby UNION the better

7. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    And the north-east. That city called Leeds enjoys its rugby league. And Hull.

The support for club rugby union in the UK is extremely limited. It's an L-shaped band that extends from Cornwall to West Wales (this demographical L is the backbone of British rugby) and the southern end of the Midlands.

Leeds RLFC, for example, get six or seven times the crowds Leeds RUFC gets.

8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Rugby basically stops in the summer, it is like football a winter sport.

This summer though you can follow the British Lions on the tour to New Zealand.

9. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He said UK in the subject, but asked about Tri Nations in his post. When it is summer in North America, it is winter in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa. Tri Nations (as well as the Lions tour you mention below) play through our summer. Expectations are that both of these will be carried on Setanta Residential when it launches. Also, Rugby League (Super League in the UK) plays through summer in the UK (which also happens to be summer in North America). I honestly don't know if he really meant Rugby League. But basically his original question was all jumbled up.

10. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ok, I ment Rugby Union. Tri Nations and Zurich Premiership. I was thinking all the lines of the National team tournaments and a few of the premier leagues to follow.

I realize that 6 Nations just ended I was thinking long term.