Where are we weak?

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Dr. Dogfish, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The result against Minnesota ("Little") United was flattering, but we deserved the result. Anyone else think that first goal was off-side? We attacked so quickly, with such pace and predatory zeal, that it's easy to overlook weaknesses in our squad.

Against New Jersey, we again showed flare going forward, quick movement, etc. If Almiron finishes that shot, we draw level with the Soft Drinks.

Where are we weak - what does Tata need to do this weak, going forward?

I still think our defense - which has four solid starters - needs some sorting out. There's a lack of communication and coordination among the four - excusable in a new team - that can lead to moments of madness. Exhibit A: both goals against Jersey. Exhibit B: that final ten minutes of the first half against the Loons.

I feel that in McCann and Gressel and Carmona we have three solid possibilities at DM but time will tell if they can perform the function of controlling pace/tempo.

2. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I think our 1st goal was onside because Taylor the Minnesota LB kept him onside.

I think our defense is pretty weak, but I also think that's the nature of our tactics. We are going to allow chances because of the nature of how many players we push up in attack.

Carmona will help calm the midfield down, but Larentowicz should just be a backup at this point. McCann is just getting back to match fit I think. McCann and Carmona would be a fantastic midfield. Gressel is fine and he will develop into a good player I'm sure. But right now we need something else in the midfield.

3. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm of the opinion it was onside too.

I believe our defense is technically sound: I rate all four them very highly in 1v1 defending - i'm also of the opinion that tactically they'll need to be coordinated since we do push so many numbers forward. When a team as weak as Little United have as much room to operate in the box as they did for too long during the first half, it's alarm bells.

I like Gressel but agree that he's young and needs a mentor there with him. I too like McCann and liked him when I saw him in Chattanooga - he was the one pulling the strings in that game. I'm less positive regarding Laurenteioausufapxz

4. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition, Chicago's midfield tandem of McCarty and Juninho will be less willing to concede space to Almiron and co.

5. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    We all agree that the defense is the problem. We can't try to hope to point teams all year. I'm really looking forward to Guzan getting here.

6. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do agree that the philosophy of pushing forward to create chances means that the opposition has only two options:
    1. Quick Counters
    2. Long balls

Both of these require a unique set of defensive tactics

7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously it's defense, but maybe it might even be at Center Forward right now. Jones seems like a bust; which is greatly unfortunate because I know I had high hopes for the man. Considering Miles Robinson has fallen out of grace; it seems like a bigger mistake that Ebobisse wasn't selected.

8. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 SeaOtter, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    I wouldn't assume that Miles Robinson has fallen at all. If you're considering playing the way that Tata has us playing right now, would you ever consider a kid w/o a minute of professional experience as a starter or sub...if you didn't have to? I certainly would not.

I don't think ATLUTD consider Miles as anything more or less than what they believed when they drafted him. We've been acting in a contrary fashion toward "MLS traditional" behaviors for some time now. Why not be contrary in not using your No.1 pick immediately?

Playing him right now would be asking far too much IMHO. Think the club are being very cautious with their youth assets, namely Carleton, Goslin, and Robinson.

I guess I should also answer the original question. I believe we are not necessarily weak at any position or at least we haven't seen enough soccer to make that determination.

I believe our biggest concern is that transition from attack to defense.....the organization, the communication and the speed with which all that takes place. The last two matches, to my eye, showed we are capable of doing all this well but that, too often, it falls apart on us. Hopefully, it comes with time but not too much.

I will say that the position where I think we need the most "strength" is DM and that it should behoove the team to have Tata fostering a strong competition between Lawrentowitz and Carmona. Whoever plays DM for us has to be mentally on it for 90 minutes, cover ground intelligently and be a destroyer when we aren't going forward.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  9. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of this is solid analysis.

10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ignore this statement about CF.

Jesus, Josef Martinez is on pace to be the best striker in MLS.

11. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    I'm not sold on Kann and I think Guzan will be an upgrade there. It'll be interesting to see the maturation of the squad with regards to communication along the back. While Chicago never sniffed the ball and rarely threatened we saw quite a bit of flapping when MNUTD and NYRB had us pinned down in our box for spells. What will we look like when that sort of pressure is sustained over 90 minutes?

My jury is out on depth. With inevitable injuries and potential schedule congestion what will our bench have to offer when the starting XI need a night off? Would love to see Robinson in action and see if he'll offer the same sort of impact play as a rookie that Gressel is showing

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think the defensive struggles thus far have had more to do with lapses in the midfield than directly with the back four. Late against NYRB and that lean spell in MN saw the AU mdifielders lose shape, chase the play and not helping the defense bring the ball out from in deep. In both cases this invited the opposition to camp 8+ players in the AU half, forcing long clearances and/or break-aways that featured fewer players in the attack.

What I will be curious to see in comparing keepers is their play off the line and how that influences the directions to their defense. Guzan is much more bold coming out, with likely a bit of experience and confidence factoring in there. Against teams that do press up the middle that could alter the shape and approach of the D dramatically. We shall see what the coach instructs of everyone in such matters.

Obviously it would have been great to give more players more time thus far, but Coach Tata and Company need to see that Plan A works first, so that all future roster movement contributes to the team strategy. It'll come, and I imagine this week the bench players are getting a lot of that attention.

13. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think we will be solid at keeper once Guzan gets here. For one, Kann will have had something he's rarely had in MLS...a solid run at starter. This is bound to give him confidence that he can cover for Guzan and eventually compete for a starting spot. If he can keep us playing near or slightly better than .500 ball until July, we should be all the better for it.

Guzan is bound to have better organizational skill and has great command of his area which should only help cover any deficiencies we are dealing with in defense.

At this point, I'm hoping to see Tata begin to incorporate more of our youth talent over the course of the season. We have an MLS roster and a first year build at that. Quality depth will be an issue at some point most likely. Bleeding in the likes of Carleton, Goslin and Robinson could mean the difference between a competent performance and a "deer in headlights" performance if we wind up needing them.

14. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think in games like DC, etc., we might see some youth go in. I hope so, anyway. I expect DC to roll over like a dog in heat.