Where are the WIZARDS going to play next season?

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Doo Daa, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You must spread some rep around..."

2. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like you would run into much "rush hour" traffic for Saturday games. Maybe for Wednesday or Friday games, but should not be that big of a deal on the weekends.

covered

3. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The triumphant return of the "Guinness & omelets" tailgate?

4. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but it wouldn't be the same unless Mike & Sam agree to argue like a married couple over how best to cook the omelets. :)

5. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it is going to be CBDAC then it is 18.7 miles (about 26 minutes) from the Westport area of KC MO. Assuming no shenanigans on I-35 and I-435, that is.

Now when is the schedule going to come out? I want to plan some road trips!

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    First MLS game ever in Canada -> April 28th, Wizards at Toronto FC

7. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kansas City, MO(MCI) to Toronto, ON (YYZ) for $327 (going in on friday, coming back sunday)

Too much I think.

8. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that you have to have a passport to do it.

Now the beer, on the other hand, would be a bit stronger and a bit cheaper, so that's a plus.

9. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got the passport, I just need more money. I spent all my PTO on Spain and this ^%#*% flu. Are we absolutely certain the ASG will be in Toronto and not Colorado? It would be awfully nice to do an actual road trip, otherwise I'm going to have to skip this year I'm afraid.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    How much is flying into Detroit or Ottawa and driving?

I also wouldn't be shocked to see air fares move up and down between now and then.

You might also talk with the team. With the new ownership, they might actually get on board with having someone work up a group deal for fans on one of the airlines.

11. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect that this will be one of the discussion items once the new Cauldron Leadership is identified (not just Toronto, but other possible road trips as well).

12. Doo Daa

Doo Daa New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Doo Daa
    now that the temporary pitch (HOPEFULLY!!!) The next thing to address - the new digs...- inhere's what was in the Dallas Morning News a few years back when they opened PIZZA HUT PARK in Frisco

BY THE NUMBERS: FC Dallas' new digs

On Saturday, FC Dallas, hosting the MetroStars, will make its first appearance at its new stadium, Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Texas.

$80 million
    Total cost of complex construction.

$55 million
    Public funds contributed to the complex.

$25 million
    Hunt Sports Group's contribution.

$25 million
    Amount Pizza Hut is paying Hunt Sports Group and FC Dallas over 20 years for naming rights.

$100,000

Annual rent to be paid to city of Frisco by the FC Dallas for use of Pizza Hut Park. The Hunt Sports Group will also perform all maintenance at the facility.

$13.35
    Average ticket price of FC Dallas games.

Miles Pizza Hut Park is from downtown Dallas.

Number of 500-square-foot suites in stadium.

Stadium capacity.

1.4 million
    Spectators and participants expected to visit the facility annually.

Acre size of the Pizza Hut Park facility.

Number of regulation-sized, tournament-grade soccer fields.

13. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    What does this have to do with where the Wizards are going to play next year?

14. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kathie talked briefly with them and they plan on doing that in the near future

15. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Guess this is why Lamar insisted on having Chiefs fans pay for the Arrowhead renovations--he just couldn't afford to pay for both.

16. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown

Or Buffalo, or Rochester...

17. Hexenmeister

Hexenmeister Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Kearney, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That's actually cheaper than I thought it would be, especially being on a weekend. Last time I priced flights to Canada, I realized I could have flown to Europe for the same amount.

18. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's going to be a nightmarish circus when Beckham comes to town. And that'll probably be the worst field he's played on since he was... what... eight years old?

19. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    like someone said in the other thread, i bet la will play here before beckham joins them.

EDIT: also, have you seen the field at the hdc in recent years??? MANY high schools around here have better looking fields than that sandtrap.

20. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    The whole world will be watching Beckham's every move in MLS, so it would be a bad business decision to have him play in KC. Yeah, I would also bet a lot of money that LA will get that game out of the way before August.

21. kcbaumer

kcbaumer New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Lawrence KS
    Considering the only two teams in the West w/o a SSS this year are RSL and Houston (with RSL's I think scheduled to open next year). In the East, Chicago, Toronto and Columbus are the only three clubs with SSS's. So I'd expect to see early away games against Houston x 2, RSL x 2, KC, DCU, NE, and NY.

In 08, if RSL and NY both open stadium in the early summer, I'd say the 3 away games will be after they open. Total, there are 11 away opportunities to showcase an SSS that year after Beck's arrives, and in the following year there would be 14 to showcase a SSS.

22. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Not necessarily.

I'd probably be willing to take that bet. There's a good case to be made that the league realizes that creating excitement in a market in transition like KC would be a very good thing, as opposed to a bad thing.

23. Veruca

Veruca Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't put your $250 million dollar man out there if you can help it. It doesn't matter how much excitement he would create.

LA's going to have a lot of home games & probably games vs Chivas left (to help recap their investment). I also forsee road trips to all the new SSS, as a way to get fans out to see the new stadiums.

And just so you know, I'm not sure the Beckham Circus makes appearances in SLC, KC or Houston, unless he gets here before his current estimated arrival date.

24. Husker

Husker New Member

Mar 14, 1999
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last that I'd heard was that the RSL stadium deal wasn't looking good anymore. I thought some politician from Salt Lake said something along the lines of "soccer is dead". Either way 2008 is a long shot now.

25. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not precisely on topic, but this seems as close as I can get......

I heard Carl Peterson talking about the Arrowhead renovations, and it sure doesn't sound like the first phase is going to have that much impact on the seating/concourse areas. (Basically, they have to build new offices and training facilities for the Chiefs, so they can move out before the work on the stadium proper can begin.)

Which makes me wonder.....If, by some miracle, we get a late-season home game with the Galaxy, what are the chances that we could work out a one-game deal with the Chiefs to use Arrowhead? I don't know how many tickets Beckham's presence will sell, but I suspect it will be far more than 10,000.