Where are the WIZARDS going to play next season?

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Doo Daa, Nov 16, 2006.

1. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not have been adverse to playing in Lawrence at KU for 2 years.
    I am sure some would have though.
    But, I think they have turf.. so that would suck.

I get what you are saying about drawing in a more regional crowd. But really the Wizards are in a state where they need to take care fo the current crop of season ticket holders-something not done in the past.

2. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's one version of it: http://www.corederoma.net/download/camp_05-06/laz-rm03.wmv

If you know any Italian it's kinda funny too...though the colors mentioned apply to us so that makes it not as good. Anything further about this should probably be migrated to a chant thread though so as not to get waaay off track.

3. FreeNachos

FreeNachos Member

Apr 10, 2001
    North Hollywood, CA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to be off track. Move us if you have to.

That's vaguely it but it's rushed and muddy... I heard one on NPR a while back. Could only locate broken links to the story. The chant is the bassline to the White Stripes song Seven Nation Army, with the simple bass drum beat behind it - no extra words or anything, just chanting the bassline. It's awesome in a big crowd.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

Under your plan FN, you could be seen as alienating the current season ticket holders who have been with the team through all this. You do that enough, those fans will not be back when you open an SSS, and while you may get some more fans from around the midwest, you won't earn enough full season ticket holders to counter the number of KC ones you could lose.

But getting more midwest fans is what the Wizards are looking to do, there was talk last night of another barnstorming thing around parts of the midwest.

5. ralfonso

ralfonso New Member

Dec 5, 2005
  6. FreeNachos

FreeNachos Member

Apr 10, 2001
    North Hollywood, CA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pssshhhh!

Major League Baseball fans go crawling back every season. Raider and Rams fans in LA follow their teams like stalkers. Houston built a stadium for their new NFL franchise after the Oilers left.

If they wander for a full season, it's pretty easy to forget when the team comes back for good to a permanent home.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and MLS is not baseball or football. Plus your examples are different then what you're proposing. What you're proposing is a team that's home is KC and have them play throughout the midwest.

Your examples are teams that moved and new teams came back.

8. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always wanted to try doing something similar, albeit with The Champs' Tequila (think the Pee Wee Herman dance, and not the one he was arrested for) in its place.

10. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well since we've ventured off the topic this far...I remember getting a kick out of Sam busting into Shout! one season. That was a blast.

11. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is the thing you were talking about right? http://www.podcastdirectory.com/podshows/349736

12. ralfonso

ralfonso New Member

Dec 5, 2005
    It's great that you guys are talking about this :) I went to a Portland Timbers game in May and thought the chant was AWESOME. We should definitely do it.

13. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's to giving CAB some life.....if you check out the Emerald Bowl on ESPN right now, you can see how they can convert a baseball stadium for football. They have put a bowl game in SF Giants baseball stadium. Looks simple enough!

By the way, does anybody know WHEN WE ARE GOING TO KNOW SOMETHING???!!!

14. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    It is simple... if the stadium/field are big enough for it. It's just not feasible in CAB.

Sometime in January.

15. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so, we know the stadium is going to be south of 75th street. that leaves ray-pec, bvdac, and odac... right?

concerning alcohol and tailgating, am i wrong in assuming that if it's at either location in kansas, this will not be possible? i don't think the state laws in kansas are flexible like what they said they were already doing in ray-pec... trying to get the laws amended for wizards games.

all three are at extremes in distance if you don't live right next to it... if you live in the east or the north, you're really screwed.

all three are going to be high school type facilities with natural grass, trailer concession stands, and massive numbers of johnnys-on-the-spot.

it appears to me, if i haven't gotten anything wrong here, that tailgating/beer sales will be the deciding factor.

16. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're wrong.

17. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    enlightening.

18. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I see that you may have wrong is the choice of locations. South of 75th street is correct, but BVDAC and ODAC are not on the "short list" as far as I know. From what I have been able to decipher, it's between CBAC (natural grass), Ray-Pec (natural grass) & Rockhurst High School (field turf).

As for distance, they are not going to be able to please everyone. They just have to bit the bullet and put it someplace. All three of these locations have decent highway access, so it should not be that much of a "hardship". I agree, driving out to Ray-Pec is not high on my list of dreams, but as a supporter, you go where the team is and show your support for the guys on the field. I'm not sure CBAC would actually be any closer for me than Ray-Pec.

I'm not sure about how "adjustable" the liquor laws are here in KS (I know we were really backwards for years, but have made strides in the last decade or so), but the other two possible locations would be in MO.

Maybe you missed the posting of the image that was passed out at the Holiday Party last week, but it certainly does not look like what you have pessimistically described.

Keep in mind, what I've just written is one of the most insanely idiotic things you've have ever read. At no point in my rambling, incoherent response was I even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. I award myself no points, and may God have mercy on my soul.

19. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh yeah, i keep getting confused with the other two options outside of ray-pec.

no, i remember very clearly what was on that rendering. i also know that renderings rarely look exactly like the finished product, and i don't think anyone in their right mind would willingly put anything that might not look desirable on said rendering. i wasn't being pessimistic... you just chose to read it that way.

see, i'd award you at least 1 point here because your answer had substance to it, unlike "you're wrong."

EDIT: my whole purpose for bringing this up again was to get some action going on in here. this forum has been totally dead over the holidays. i hate logging on here and finding there's been no new posts to more than one thread in 10 hours. boooring.

20. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Actually, it was very enlightening... It informed you (and everybody else) that you were wrong with your assumptions, and that there are many more things that the organization has to consider than alcohol issues, and they're much more important as well.

Was it filled with details? No. But it served its purpose to steer people away from bad incorrect ideas/assumptions.

I've never been to the facility at Ray-Pec, but both Rockhurst and CBAC have concessions/restroom facilities that are much better than you describe. I would imagine that there will be some temporary facilities as well, but not "massive numbers" that are an eyesore and look bush league.

As for the rendering: Of course it was designed to highlight the better attributes of the temp facility... but the important thing that I took out of it was that everything is going to be done as first-class as possible.

21. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Help me a second boys....

What is CBAC and where is it.....

22. StuBentley

StuBentley New Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Olathe, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    College Boulevard Activities Center - located just off of K7 and College Blvd.

23. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be my new sig if it wasn't so long.

24. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time was of the essence. You asked if your assumptions were correct, and I told you they weren't. Admittedly, it wasn't with my usual verbal panache and complete, informative response...but, hey, cut me some slack once in a while.

25. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what happens when you set the bar so darn high.