When Will Jesus Get Sacked?

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by SCP_16, Oct 28, 2016.

?

When Will Jesus Get Sacked?

1. In the next couple of weeks

16.7%
  2. When the season is over

66.7%
  3. If he doesn't win his next game

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Never. BDC is a JJ homer

16.7%
  1. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree fully. Perhaps that's what happens when you play for a club that has corrupted the league and bribed officials and referees. Makes you think you are bigger than you are. Then you go to SCP and realize SCP doesn't get the same treatment. We don't write emails bribing league officials or provide them with vouchers.

benficafan3 and ---Z--- repped this.
  2. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Yes, because the truth would result in his ego getting smaller. Better to block out the truth and just think that you were the reason a club like Benfica had success, despite that being the case both before and after his tenure there. Nothing but cog in a machine.

3. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  4. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt but even I'm starting to jump on this bandwagon.

AlexJones19 repped this.
  5. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    It gets harder and harder to defend him. Even with this game, in the back of my head I’m thinking, you’re missing 3/4’s of your back 4, you lose Acuña to injury in the first half and then you lose Dost to injury.

But that does not excuse and should have no bearing on the way the game was played out after the first goal.

There’s a tendancy to sit back that needs to change.

6. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    JJ has been doing this all season. He takes way too long with his subs. This game was another example. We scored the goal and immediately Abel makes impact subs in midfield which change the game for Braga. By the time JJ gets Petrovic(!) ready the penalty is given to Braga. Doumbia only comes in after Dost gets injured.

I want to win the league, I really really do... but if winning means we extend JJ's contract and give him more money...

7. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Watched his interview on Portuguese channel and was impressed with his force of character and humanity . Didn't know his father was a Sporting player in the 40's.

8. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Yup and he was a player for us as well albeit didn't last long. It's one of the reasons he came to SCP for his dad

9. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Love his passion for SCP. Just needs to keep his ego in check and learn from his mistakes.

10. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    In the interview he lamented that by the time he switched from SLB his father's Alzeimers condition was so bad that he never knew JJ was coaching Sporting.

11. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Do you have a link to the interview by chance?

12. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I watched it on cable TV.

13. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This dude is gonna get fired at the end of the season. Any bets?

14. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Goes around asking for christmas presents and saying we need lots of players to compete in all competitions and then plays the same line-up with players who look like they need a freaking wheel chair, Acuna, Gelson look like they need a month rest. WTF

15. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    You realize that the ones that would ultimately decide that, would also need to admit their own massive failings by firing their hugely-expensive project in the process, correct? Very doubtful. Plus, Sporting is transformed under him. Has that brought them literal trophy success? No, but they are of a clearly different level playing under him, one that does indicate evolution. And most importantly, you need to factor in who exactly could have come in and done a better job than he has? I'd say the list of potentialities is pretty damn low.

If Sporting shit the bed and end up distant behind Porto/Benfica & suffer early Europa knock-out, then maybe. Doubt it otherwise.

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    gotta say that today, the players had all to do with the draw

17. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Well Marco Silva might of done a better job.

If only he didnt break the cardinal track suit sin...

fdasilva and SCP_16 repped this.
  18. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Legitimate argument. However, has Sporting transformed under him or have they transformed under BDC? BDC has given JJ everything he wants, including players and power and yet JJ fails every year.

JJ needs to go at the end of the season. Period.

19. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    lol I began typing out an argument against Silva but got lazy.

He's got high potential, and is a great coach already, but currently does not offer what JJ does in experience, his season at Watford is evidence of this.

Plus, clearly would never work with BDC.

20. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Experience is overrated.

Mourinho with no experience was the best manager in the world by far.

Experirnced Mourinho barely cracks the top 10

eurodad repped this.
  21. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    The problem with "experienced" coaches is that they don't adapt when football adapts.

Look at Mourinho now, his system looks outdated ever since he coached Real Madrid because football isn't what it was in 2004.

JJ is in a similar spot. Does he have good qualities? Yes many ex-players have come out and said he had a huge influence on them and look at players who are coming to SCP to play for us mainly because he is there.

But during the match he's shown huge failing in match preparedness, reading the game, substitutions...

This was a match against a Setubal side who may get relegated and have one of the worst offenses and defenses. They didn't even have any chances until the end. And guess what - 90% of matches in this league are exactly the same. Even in a different context, there were similarities between this match and Benfica. Benfica obviously has more quality than Setubal, but in both matches we were winning 1-0 and then start dropping deeper and deeper. He delays the subs and then in both matches makes defensive subs which basically tell the players "hey we need to defend even more and drop deeper".

In both matches, Benfica and Setubal at some point threw multiple players forward to try and score. Benfica had 7(!) attackers on the field in the 2nd half and were hugely exposed. Setubal yesterday threw on Edinho (the penalty taker) and were exposed. Why not take that chance to throw on Podence who has pace or Doumbia with his finishing ability and who we have seen is deadly on the counter?

natenate101 repped this.
  22. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Experience can be overrated, in this case it isn't as it's clear JJ has a handle on the Portuguese league that is rivaled by few. An understanding that has resulted in his domestic success and fear of challenging himself outside Portugal, where he won't understand the competition as well.

Mourinho grew up in a football family and was coaching in the Barcelona ranks long before he won anything. Your definition of experience is rather limited, IMO. He didn't just walk into Porto a standard guy and win the CL. His life was built towards that.

23. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I don't understand? First you start by saying JJ's experience is key because it's in the Portuguese league and its what he knows. Then you go on to say that Mourinho wasn't inexperience because he had a coaching job, not manager, in a different country. But I thought it was only experience in the same country that matters?

Lastly, I don't think you can say that it's "clear" JJ has a handle on the Portuguese league that is rivaled by few. Most first league managers are the same that just keep bouncing from team to team. JJ doesn't know anything they don't. He's been successful with a single dominant team, much like Jesualdo, AVB, and countless others... He's a good manager, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Anyways, experience obviously isn't super important. That's a very antiquated way of thinking and is one of the major reasons Europe is in such shit now. Giving jobs to "experienced" people who do thing the old "experienced" way and don't keep up with the times. Sometimes fresh ideas are needed.

Also - name a manager that didn't grow up in a football family.

24. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    lol your analysis is trash. Where do you mention him making two European finals? Did you really put AVB together with Jesualdo? You should try watching these games from back in the day and get that off that Wikipedia.

Responding to anything you've written, given the above, would be a waste of time. I won't respond further. You can take that as a win for your self esteem if you like.

25. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon

Speaking of which. Marco Silva has just been fired from Watford