When was football's golden age?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Krokko, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Krokko

Krokko Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Club:
    AIK Solna
    Sweden
    As simple as that: when was the game at its zenith? Considering the quality of World Cups and other nat'l and intl competitions, number of great players and teams, absence of corruption etc?

2. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    United States
    My favourite personally is the 32 team World Cup era.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  3. LoveModernFootball

LoveModernFootball New Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    The true golden age is yet to come. It will happen as soon as the European Super League is formed.

4. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Still to come. Needs more parity especially for international competitions.

5. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Italy
    In the 70's and 80's

6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Gibraltar
    Many people will point to their childhoods, when the game was perhaps more simple and pure. For me that would be the Van Basten - Maradona era. Or from a Romania fan POV, the Hagi - Lacatus era. But in reality the game has no golden era as long as new generations are picking up the ball and playing, attending live matches and watching on TV. Every time someone new falls in love with the game becomes the golden era for that person. Years from now many people will look back at this current era we are living now with fondness and nostalgia.

7. delandis

delandis Member

May 18, 2016
    Agreed. For me it was Eto'o, Michael Owen, Henry, Van Nistelrooy, and Ronaldinho.

I mean I still thoroughly enjoy the game, but those guys and other greats of the late 90's and early 2000's are MY golden age.

I can't tell you how many YouTube hours have been dedicated to watching those guys at their peaks.