When do you think we should start expecting results from the Klinsmann era?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by MartSkin, Sep 7, 2011.

1. MartSkin

MartSkin Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Right Back
    When do you think we should start expecting results from the Klinsmann era?

2. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've already had results. 2 losses and a draw.

:D

3. Que Bueno

Que Bueno Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Kentucky
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this has been a big mistake from the beginning.

I think the USSF might as have saved their money on a coach and kept Bob Bradley for at least 1-2 more years. (<--- In a perfect world they would have started this process back after the Spain win we we had our best leverage)

In the mean time hire Jurgen and gave him full control of youth development.

Then in two years hire someone like Dick Advocaat, Guus Hiddink, Louis van Gaal, Hector Cuper or Edgardo Bauza

4. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to define what your question is first. Results on the field (wins)? Or results as in changes to the team, i.e. new guys coming in and making an impact, or playing style changes? Results as in championships?

Personally I would not concern myself with game results from friendly matches, so that means wait until next summer when WCQ starts.

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The only results that matter are the World Cup Qualifying games. This is when I expect to see victories or else. Let's not send someone to the guillotine until then...

7. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Keep in mind our big 3 haven't even together yet!

8. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddie, Omar Gonzalez and Mixx?

9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is the third? Holden?

Anyway, the only results that matter are the WCQ games. We aren't going to get a seed, so the ranking is irrelevant.

USA
    Jamaica
    Guatemala (or possibly Belize)
    Haiti (or possibly Antigua & Barbuda)

We need to finish in the top two.

10. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Bradley is the 3rd guy. Jr., not the coach.

11. Twix1138

Twix1138 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Ironic that our best result so far was against the toughest team.

12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, let's just say we disagree on that one. Jr is one of our better, and more accomplished players.

But I'd rate Cherundolo, Howard, and Holden as better players. Throw in the captain and that's our core six players.

Bradley and Jones are the best of the rest. But they both really play the same spot, and if there is only going to be one DM out there.

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always said that I expect it to be tough going until after Camp Cupcake. Once that is over, he must immediately start getting results. However, I'm something LESS than unworried with the first 3 games as I figured that a change in system had the potential to be brutal looking coming out of the gate.

14. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United

LD, Clint, Stu and Fabian Johson = 4

15. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Results only matter when the A-team plays in real events: WC qualifying, Gold Cup, Confed Cup, World Cup, etc.

I held BB to that standard for 5 years, and he stumbled only in the 2011 Gold Cup (at which point I thought he should resign).

I'll hold JK to that same standard. Results matter when WC qualifiers begin.

I'll praise and critique after each and every match, but he isn't fully accountable until there are real matches with his A-team.

16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand everyone saying that we don't need to see results until WCQ starts, but this team needs to start seeing results immediately. this has been the absolute worst year to be a US soccer fan...including the times before 1998 and even 2006. this team has certain expectations of itself now and it is performing like it was in the 90's. in short, i fear where the team confidence and team chemistry will be in june if we don't start getting results soon.

17. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is projection. You're not worried about our players as much as your own confidence and pride! :D

In all seriousness if we were England it would be a concern of mine. Thankfully our boys are a little more down to earth and quite professional. They can handle some poor results if they believe in the system and see the positive changes taking place on a smaller scale.

When we have our first truly dominate performance I think even the panic monkeys around here will open their minds.

18. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't really expect to lose both of these friendlies, but at the same time the US looked good for the most part. (Except for Castillo, Orozco, Rogers, etc.)

The next friendlies are against Honduras and Ecuador. I expect the US to win these games. While I admire what Klinsmann is going for and completely agree with the idea of establishing a possession game, there is just too much avarice among the fans right now. We need to win, we need to believe.

19. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not cool...Now back to the idea. There should have been a 5th box and that is 2 Months before qualifiers. By then I see them back to their old selves. Looking forward to Spring :)

20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Results are not needed from any one game. But he better damn well start getting them soon because suddenly, there will be a trend. Individual friendlies don't matter, but that body of work does translate to expectations.

2010-11, under Bradley, the US lost to Brazil, Paraguay and Spain, tied Colombia, Poland, Chile and Argentina. Beat South Africa. None of those results on their own really is shocking or disappointing. But as a whole, leading into the Gold Cup this was disappointing, and frankly our play in the Gold Cup showed this. Regardless of the lineup, player selection, tactics used, I remember the 1st half vs Poland and 2nd half vs. Argentina as being about the only time that they played well.

Bob's dismissal is understandable when you look at his past year.

We have now had three games with very little to show. Klinsmann will likely have 8 or 9 more matches before qualifying (at least), so that good. But he needs to show improvement. Improvement that requires him to completely rebuild the backline. For everyone that gives me a 'Bornstein' I give you a 'Castillo or Fiscal' in return. One coach's sucky player or blind spot can't be replaced with another's sucky player or blind spot.

He also has to do it with the same circumstances that Bob did. Angry club managers. Can't use 'he hasn't had the big three' yet either. This is our pool. Bob never had the opportunity to start Dempsey, Donovan and an EPL starting Holden on the field. He had to choose a lineup from the players that were available. He had to intergrate a new Jones into the team, see if players like Ream or Shea or Lichaj or Chandler would fly with the full nat team. Same as Klinsmann has to do now. The next 5-6 games better see significant because the spring matches will be about tuning up the selected players for qualifying.

We need to see something by the February FIFA date taking shape.

21. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Results and change are not mutually exclusive . . .

Often there is a coaching switch and there is change and results occur immediately. This regularly happens in the National Football League.

We were promised more attacking football (not the pointy type).
    Possession for possession's sake is not a result.
    Creating more scoring opportunities is a result.

Costa Rica's interim coach, while holding the space for the new hire, produced a result. The result was CR's first win on US soil since February '02.

Results are a byproduct of consistently doing the appropriate things. The notion that somehow results are not to be expected because there has been a coaching change is amusing.

edit: just noticed that expecting results 2 years from now is offered as a possibility by the OP, whereas expecting results immediately is not offered as an option.

22. LinksterAC

LinksterAC Member

Jun 30, 2008
    San Diego
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NFL really proves both points: 1) that a coaching change causes immediate results and 2) that a coaching change causes a step back

I'm a Chargers fan.

After their 2006 season, one where they dominated with an offense predicated on the run, and built around LaDainian Tomlinson.

In 2007, Norv Turner came in and changed the culture, building for the team's future. He tried to instill a passing offense built around Philip Rivers, a young QB who hadn't yet truly proven he could execute the offense.

The first few games were ugly. The Chargers couldn't get anything going on offense, and were embarassed by the best team in the league for most of that year (New England Patriots).

But as the team began to wrap its mind around the new system, and internalize the vision of its new coach, the results improved. That team went on to have its best season in the past 17 years, advancing to the AFC Championship Game (NFL semifinals).

The point is, not all coaching changes are alike. While with some you can expect immediate results, others come with a reinvention of the team, top to bottom. The latter comes with many more growing pains than the former.

What we're being sold on is the latter as far as the USMNT is concerned, a fundamental change in how Americans approach the game, top to bottom.

I think Klinsmann sees that we finally do have the talent--or will soon--to play a the type of soccer he wants to see. It's just that our guys' brains have to grow into it. It will take time, but we should start really liking what we see over 90 minutes leading up to WCQ.

23. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Since you are using the NFL analogy (personally I think Turner is crap - I think Schott would have finally gotten over the top - but I am a Jet fan and we have caused the turmoil that your team has experienced), you are missing one other type of coaching change. I used it in another thread.

Its the Wade Phillips effect. This guy has come in to very good teams three times (Denver, Buffalo, and Dallas) and under his guidance the teams get slowly worse over time. There is no guarantee that all coaching changes improve a teams situation.

24. drdi

drdi Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Porto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we are alreadyb seeing something:
    - at least we already have a rd and a ld- cherundolo and chandler- and i did not see yet lichaj. for what i saw in mls hoghlights, dunivant is also an option
    - our main problem is that we still do not have found a good pair of central defenders- we must try gonzalez , john- although i like bocanegra he will not be a good addiction to our defense in the wqc
    - in midfield, with bradley, beckerman, jones, edu,shea, even feilhabber, zudempsey,holden, torres, klaejestain, even bedoya, not to forget young prospects like gil, zusi or other playing in mls we are developing a good core of potential starters/ benchman players
    -in attack, donovan, adu, sebastien letoux, altidore, mwanga, even agudelo, koroma, heihneman( ithink it is the name of that very big attack player ) already a good group of attackers.
    so, after what i saw against a very fierce and strong belgium A team with a b- usa team i have reasons to be optimistic. we can hold very well the ball, no early goals allowed, very good to excellent circulation and possession- it is the beginning of any victoriuos team.
    the main concern is that we did not- or do not yet have- find a good pair of cd.
    i must add that i think klismann is really drived by this job, he seems to see, analyze, prospect,study all prospects everywhere.
    the final thing i may add is that the most important thing to developement of soccer in the usa is MLS becoming more and more professional, with better tactics, better movements, better coordination and skills, and that only can come from:
    1- more international competition- we are in concacaf, so we must beat our neighbours
    2- better management
    3-better prospection of our pool of players
    2+3 will result in better internal competition and pressure and that will bring our soccer to higher levels.

25. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm on the side who's saying results in meaningless friendlies dont matter. What it boils down to me is how the team plays in those friendlies.

Currently, JK's team is playing well for portions of the game. They maintain possession better then under bob, however they seem to be creating opportunities less (IMO).

Quite simply put, if US starts to create more chances and maintain the possession game wins will come. However, when we dont create more then a handful of chances im not sure what we expect.

Perhaps its player selection, but i feel our biggest flaw is getting numbers forward. We do well with the first 2/3rds of the field, but none of our Mids crash the box when Rogers or Shea would get the ball up and wide.