What's your take on USMNT preference for MLS?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DHC1, Apr 15, 2019.

?

What's your take on USMNT preference for MLS?

1. There's absolutely no preference

20 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. There's a preference - it's deserved because they fit better with the system

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. There's a preference - it's deserved because they're better players

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Way too early to say if there's a preference

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Not ready to indict but early signs are ominous that there's an MLS bias

20 vote(s)
    19.6%
  6. It's obviously a bias and it's bad for the USMNT

53 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    ????????????

He was great against West Brom and solid against Fulham. I understand he's not world class but his floor is much higher than the likes of Lovitz and Cannon and that's what you want from a defender.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He wasn't. His role is helping in attack, something Kane used to do well on the right and Lichaj is better at doing on the left. He wasn't bad, but he used to do better for them.

I don't want Lovitz. That someone doesn't love your flavor du jour does not mean they want an inept guy in his place. I wanted Dest on the left, Yedlin on the right, FWIW.

PS: I like Cannon better than Lichaj.

3. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Disagree. He's been incredibly solid this year with few defensive mistakes.

Agreed. Both players are faster than Lichaj and add more going forward but Lichaj is more seasoned on the defensive side.

For a game like Cuba, absolutely. Cannon has far more upside at this point and should be seeing more minutes. If it's a must win, I'd take Lichaj. I'll take either over Lovitz.

4. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CCV, Robinson, and almost of the Euro guys sat on the bench for the U23s.

Our MLS academies shipped a bumper crop of prospects overseas. The reward for almost all of those players is they are frozen out of the MNT and U23 teams, which are BOTH made up of ~70 percent MLSers.

The Canary Islands camp is a huge slap in the face/shot accross the bow. Imagine a Camp Cupcake with a roster made up of ~70 percent European-based players, and you've captured Kreis' U23s.

btlove, bsky22, Namdynamo and 2 others repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    True, but that's on Kreis, not Berhalter, right?

6. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's on Berhalter, the head coach who could call up any player that he wants. He called in U23 players to the NT, lest people forget that Sargent and Dest are eligible for Kreis' team.

Berhalter also made it a point to have dual-U23/NT camps, and to consistently claim that he's trying to make a "pipeline" from the YNT to the NT, both in terms of players and "The System TM". What he didn't say, yet is doing, is he's actually making a pipeline solely for MLS players, and refusing to play our European players.

Kreis' implementation of Berhalter's system, and his in-game adjustments are obviously his own, but it's Berhalter's fault that Kreis is trying to have his kids play the way the NT plays.

btlove, Namdynamo and DHC1 repped this.
  7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Here's the updated % of total minutes played by MLS players under Gregg:

Equador........59%
    Chile.............57%
    Jamaica........57%
    Venezuela....86%
    Guyana........57%
    TNT..............55%
    Panama.......55%
    curacao.......49%
    Jamaica.......69%
    Mexico 1......55%
    Mexico 2......49%
    Uruguay.......69%
    Cuba............48%
    Canada........51%
    Canada........61%
    Cuba............61%
    Total.............59%

My point: look at the numbers and see that they're way above the prior baseline and remarkably consistent. I'd also add that 13% of the non-MLS minutes are provided by former MLS player Tim Ream.

When one adds the numbers from the U23 and other youth teams (outside of Ramos), the numbers actually increase!

btlove and Sufjan Guzan repped this.
  8. SoCalRC

SoCalRC New Member

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 11, 2019
    We used to have established starters in the big leagues like Dempsey, Bradley, Jones, Howard, Beasley, Altidore, Johnson, Brooks, Cameron, Bedoya and I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two names.

Now we only have Pulisic, Steffen, Brooks, and Yedlin as established starters. Adams has been injured for a long time so who knows with him in his club, although he should be a sure starter for us. Morales hasn't established himself as a sure starter yet and hasn't looked that good for us when given the chance. Then you have Sargent who is still a bench player(a few starts cause of injury) at his club but was given the chance to take the starting spot over Zardes last round and didn't take it. Didn't even look that great yesterday despite scoring 2 goals.

Every other league is comparable to MLS and when that's the case, coaches will always go with what they're more familiar with. That's just normal. So of course there's bias. I just don't think it's for the reasons you guys think. We are simply not as good as we used to be. Because most of our European based players are nothing more than promising players at this point. Once they break into their first team and start getting a lot of minutes, I'm sure Gregg will start calling them over MLS players and give them chances to take a starting spot. Much like what he's done with Sargent and Dest.

And how many minutes are provided by former non MLS players like Arriola, Bradley, Lletget, Guzan.

9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #559 DHC1, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    lol. Morales isn’t a starter now? And when he only got 50% of minutes, he wasn’t good enough to make the 40 man squad? Furthermore, Yedlin has been pushed aside even as a major league starter.

There have been plenty of B2/Championship players who have contributed to our success (e.g., our current coaches Berhalter and wolf FFS!) and even more major league bench warmers players like Clint Mathis who were always called in. At the same time, we were only calling in elite MLS players (all-star/Best XI) in Landon, Clint, Bradley. Now we’re starting guys who are nowhere near that level.

At the end, you think that an MLS coach will always have a bias towards the league - if that’s the case, we should never hire an MLS coach as the potential for debilitating bias is far larger than having a coach from another country. Btw, when BS was discussing the Berhalter hire, MLS backers stated that he wouldn’t be biased because he also coached and played in Europe. We need a coach who doesn’t have a bias or at a small one.

finally, a big part of being familiar with MLS should be his knowledge of who isn’t good enough. Yet he repeatedly called up terrible players who have failed to perform at a good enough level and now we’re led to believe that moving on from trapp is a sign of progress! Where’s the benefit of familiarity if it leads to terrible performance?

btlove and Namdynamo repped this.
  10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    For posters who believe that there's an MLS bias, what do you think the appropriate range is for MLS participation in roster construction (and minutes played as well)?

I'd probably say 40-50% with a 10% range around it. Obviously, we are consistently at the upper end of this range and that's a real problem IMO.

11. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Historically our World Cup rosters have been around 9-11 MLS players which is honestly probably where it always should be. There's a post of mine I think in this thread? Where I do a detailed analysis of our historical roster makeup.

Just eyeballing the rosters, it's clear that the European guys end up getting more minutes than the MLS guys historically. There has been a correlation (I'll leave the causation to someone else) between higher MLS makeup and poorer results.

Namdynamo and DHC1 repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Back then we had guys in Europe like Dempsey, Boca, Reyna, Dolo, Beasley, Bradley, Rico, DeMerit, Deuce, Jozy, etc. We had a few who broke easily like Holden and JOB.

Now we have guys like Adams, Weah, Johannsson, Johnson, Morales, Yedlin, Amon, Payne, Green, Brooks, etc. We have a few who don't break easily like Pulisic and McKennie.

Whatever the difference in value, the big difference is that the players we have now are broken more often than not.

13. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Whoa Whoa Whoa...………..f**k you just say?

[​IMG]

14. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Actually, he is pretty close to Arena's team in 2017 that didnt qualify for the WC.

15. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I was generalizing, but yeah once again supporting the narrative that this is a bad composition for good results.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I had just come across the tweet I posted. I have pointed out before that the only time there have been MLS heavy rosters before Berhalter was when they brought a bunch of players home when the league started (bombed out of 98 WC and Sampson complained about it) and when incorrectly thought he could qualify for the world cup in 2017. It is just so strange the Berhalter would copy a formula that was used in biggest failure of the program.

17. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Here is an exercise for any that want to participate.

Make a listing of the top players in European leagues that are playing. (if you want to list injured players in parenthesis or something that is fine also.

By playing, I mean they have to consistently get some time. Starting is obviously good but a rotational player that gets consistent sub minutes is fine too. I would say Sargent, who to my knowledge isn't an everyday starter, counts. Adams doesn't count (injured). Morales (who missed some time due to injury but is back, most definitely counts). League should be stated and status (starter, rotational etc) of player should also be noted. Ideally, the league will be one that is clearly superior to MLS ie B1, EPL etc.

With that list, create a team. If you don't have a player for that postilion that fits the criteria, leave the spot blank. Please don't play anyone dramatically out of position. being in U19 or second team doesn't count.

I will leave it up to you to decide whether a league like B2 or Championship etc is clearly superior to MLS but as I said earlier, please note the league.

Thanks,
    I apologize in advance for not participating. I do not know the European contingent of US players well, so will refrain but I am looking forward to seeing what others come up with.

18. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    here you go @Mahtzo1

19. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal

would your team look something like this?

Fwd: Sargent, (Wright?)

Mid: Pulisic, McKennie, Morales, (Holmes?, Boyd?)

Def: Dest, Brookes, Yedlin, (Ream?, CCV? Miazga? Robinson?, does Chandler rise to the top since he is on a higher ranked team? )

GK: Steffan

20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #570 DHC1, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    I don't believe our team should exclude MLS players - I want all players to be evaluated equally and believe that MLS is roughly akin to Championship and B2.

Here's what I came up with recently.

Sufjan Guzan repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Another exercise. Write down all the players in Europe, including those that suck over there and seldom play or have been sent to play with the kids. Make a team with those, assuming they developed in accord with the hype they generated here.

For example:

Danny Williams (N)
    Jonathan Amon (N)
    Erik Palmer-Brown (N)
    Kenny Saief (N)
    etc.

where N stands for Narnia, which is where those players achieved their touted potential. Play them in the Narnia World Cup and tell us if they won it.

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #572 DHC1, Nov 25, 2019
    fun. Are we doing this with Lovitz, trapp, Baird and roldan as well?

should we look at the players at the end of the MLS list and compare to those who barely got any looks?

I’ll take this squad of Berhalter rejects
    • Horvath
    • Chandler/Eintracht
    • Gall/Malmo (126)
    • Siebatcheau/Rennes (130)
    • Carter-Vickers/Swansea (195)
    • Alvarado/Necaxa (210)
    • Cameron/QPR (216)
    • Lichaj/Hull City (225)
    • AronJo/Hammersby (231)
    • Amon/FC Nordsjælland (234)
    • Holmes/Derby County (250)
    • Miazga/Reading (254)
    • Novakovich/Reading (254)
    • Robinson/Wigan (263)
    • Palmer-Brown/Austria Vienna (301)
    • Diskerud/Tromsø!
    • Moore/Tenerife (428)
    • Sabbi/Hobro IK (433)
    • Wright/VVV-Venlo (448)
    • Green/Greuther Fürth (463)
    • Williams, Pafos
    • Fabian
    • Reyna
    • Ledezma
    • Llanez
    • Richards
    • Wood
    Against a squad of USMNT players excluding Morris, Cannon, Long, Arriola and Jozy. I’m partial to Zardes for his work rate and movement but I’ll throw him into the mix.

Let’s be clear, I don’t hate on the MLS players who would play vs these guys, I’m just saying that they’re not a better group that the ones listed above who are ignored by Berhalter.

I’d also point out that this is a typical Suyuntuy post - doesn’t engage on any merits - just snark, haterade and straw men.

Namdynamo and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  23. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Does this mean that Sebastian Lletget plays for Archenland in this scenario?

24. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    #574 Mahtzo1, Nov 25, 2019
    Thanks, I was actually thinking of this as more of a hypothetical "pure" Euro roster. After several people respond (if they do), perhaps a clearer picture would arise over who people consider to be the first 11, or the first 23 in Europe. By indicating the league, it would give a very rough estimate of how deep the US quality is. I think there is probably a general consensus on the top few (Pulisic and a few others) but my guess is that there will be quite a lot of divergence after the to 5-8 players.

Edit: Also, I specifically wanted to avoid players that would skew the roster because they are injured or have been injured for long periods (ie Adams, Johannsson et al) and also youth players (in second team or U19).

25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Ok. See post 572 for a short listing of players around MLS leve who have been mostly ignored.

Question: Why the limitation on youth players? Dest went quickly from their youth program to meaningful minutes with a top team. Was he really that different from a couple months before?

If league affiliation doesn’t matter, why this arbitrary limit on players like Reyna, Richards, Ledezma, Llanez and Gloster, who are all in varying degree somewhat near first team minutes for major league teams. I’d guess that the reserve/youth teams of top 100 programs have far more players on them who will make it to the UCL in the next 10 years than any of MLS, championship or B2 alone but that’s just my guess. The exclusion of elite youth / reserve teams seems biased toward MLS as I’m guessing all of these players would already be playing for an MLS squad. I assume that’s not your intent.

there’s another poster who believes that league level doesn’t matter but s/he refuses to consider players in leagues below MLS! Seems hypocritical to me but whatever floats his/her boat.