What's your take on USMNT preference for MLS?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DHC1, Apr 15, 2019.

?

What's your take on USMNT preference for MLS?

1. There's absolutely no preference

20 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. There's a preference - it's deserved because they fit better with the system

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. There's a preference - it's deserved because they're better players

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Way too early to say if there's a preference

8 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Not ready to indict but early signs are ominous that there's an MLS bias

20 vote(s)
    19.6%
  6. It's obviously a bias and it's bad for the USMNT

53 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. btlove

btlove Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2017
    Austin Texas
    The other day suy was claiming that people were “clamoring for Danny Williams” give a freaking break. When he argues with 90% strawman so he can make himself seem like a genius, it makes his other arguments weaker.

By the way a. Robinson has been excellent in the championship this year. Got a team of the week too I believe (or was it month) wonder if Lovitz could do that?

Namdynamo repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Don't be silly. Those guys are routinely playing first division soccer, and have already been part of the main team. I mean the U23 in the last camp. It was a good balance.

As for the pro-MLS bias, how about the other teams in the region playing several MLSers? How come the Ticos are playing more MLSers and nearly no one from Europe? Could it be their players in Europe are injured or not performing well?

Not everything is a conspiracy. I noted it's possible there is a bias, it's not uncommon across the planet for a NT coach to be more up-to-date in the status of the local players, for obvious reasons.

Also, you want a good team, not just one with all your most expensive players. Style of play matters, so it's natural trying to have as many players as possible from a single team or even league. Guys who know each other some.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    There are two guys who were clamoring for Danny to be called, even though he's not playing in Cyprus. I'm not going to name names because, frankly, who here remembers everybody?

A search should be fairly easy, in one of the pre-match forums.

4. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    first division soccer is a truly stupid denomination when the championship is at least as good as MLS and many other first division leagues. You know that and now you’re just being ridiculous.

I don’t follow the Tico’s closely. What players in Championship and above do they not include? What big four starters do they bench?

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    You put the Championship far too high up there. That's the main bone of contention, I think. I don't think too highly of the Championship, even though the Trasfermarkt prices of those teams are bigger than those in the Eredivisie and often comparable to Ligue 1 --but everything in England is inflated.

The Ticos have guys in Europe they're not calling, but I never said "big four starters." We call all our big four starters, the three of them (Pulisic, Yedlin, McKennie). The Ticos got two guys in Vålerenga (Vega and George) in the Eliteserien, another in Norrköping (Ian Smith) in the Allsvenskan, Navas who often gets "injured" for international duty (PSG), and several kids in Europe still trying to get enough minutes like Alexis Gamboa (Jupiler), Andy Reyes (Austrian 2nd), etc.

6. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    who are their big 4 rotation guys the aren’t playing? You’ve listed guys in Norway and Sweden which is akin to Amon and Gall? You want to compare them the auto starters in the championship? Really?

Do you think that MLS is better than championship? I have consistently said that MLS is B2/Championship level

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Who are our "big 4 rotation guys" we aren't playing?

The only one is Chandler.

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    you keep on mentioning that the Ticos aren’t calling european guys as a comparison to Robinson, CCV. Who are these direct comparisons that are playing in equivalent or better leagues than MLS and aren’t getting called in? I don’t think you meant Norway and Sweden; at least I hope not.

9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    sargent and Yedlin didn’t start and Yedlin was a late sub. Who are the comparison for them for the Ticos please?

10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the bias is at USSF, not with the coaches, who are aware.

This 70% crap is gonna get put to bed pretty quick once Adams is healthy. Plus, Long may be moving soon.

It could be all XI in Europe soon:

----------------Steffen-------------
    Dest/Yedlin-Long-Brooks-Dest/Ream/Rob
    -------Adams-----McKennie-------
    Weah-------Ledezma-------Pulisic
    ------------------Sargent---------

Berhalter clearly prefers Euro's at GK (Steffen), both FB spots (Dest, Yedlin, Ream), one CB spot (Brooks), one or two CM spots (Adams & McKennie), and Pulisic wide.

The only spots where MLS guys are at the top are the regista spot (Bradley, Yueill, Trapp), Long at CB, Altidore up front, and Morris.

The problem is that we have so few established guys overseas, that when someone goes down, the #2 guy is almost always MLS.

Hopefully, the younger guys change that.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I never said they were in equivalent leagues, only that they have no trouble with playing MLSers, half of their starters are from MLS. And they managed to win their group, arguably the hardest group, with them.

The entire "big 4 players" narrative is coming from you, as if Egg were leaving a plethora of Big 4 starters out because he valued MLSers more.

That's a lie, we're not leaving any Big 4 starter out, and all of the rotational guys who are not injured get called. Except for Chandler, who never seemed to care.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The coach calls the players, then he watches them in practice.

If he's not playing a guy who's not looking impressive with his club (Sargent) and preferred to use the other, known for his speed (Yedlin), as a super-sub, and it worked, what is the problem?

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The hilarious thing is that if Long moves to Europe, even if it's the Championship, people who right now whine about his inclusion will be penciling him in as a starter right away.

As if moving to Europe improved a player's quality as soon as the ink dries on the contract.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  14. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    No, just don't understand why our guys in the championship haven't been called up. i.e. Miazga and Lichaj first of all. Then Robinson. aaaaand finally maybe CCV for maybe a camp. It's not like we are being ridiculous there has been plenty of callups given to MLS guys that could have been used to just get these guys in the system.

The argument is simple and you just continue to (mostly) avoid it.

Berhalter is calling up historically high MLS rosters every window. No national team coach has ever consistently called in as many MLS players. That is a fact. It literally can't be disputed.

The anger comes from this selection as well as how god awful our performance has been against what has probably been the easiest first year in terms of a schedule that a national team coach has gotten in decades.

It's warranted. I'm all for giving MLS guys a chance. Yueill has looked like a valuable squad player. Morris has improved leaps and bounds. Arriola I think has a place depending on form/injuries elsewhere.

The anger comes from repeated Bradley, Trapp, Lovitz, random GK, and random call ups all over the pitch going exclusively to MLS guys. The optics given SUM/MLS's displeasure with Klinsy being pretty evident are bad. It looks and smells bad. And I'm not talking about the team.

15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    you’ve seen our results. We’ve dropped precipitously in our ranking. You may choose to ignore that due to a victory over Canada but I think most posters see through that.

16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    you simply make up straw men.

btlove repped this.
  17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    If our best players were in MLS, I’d play them too. You implied that Costa Rica was sitting players in Europe equivalent to what Berhalter is doing and I called you out to name names/club me as i’m not familiar with tico’s squad. Are they not calling in the miazga’s/CCV/Cameron/Lichaj/Robinson and are sitting major league players like Yedlin, Sargent and morales? It’s a simply question.

18. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    still waiting, @Suyuntuy, for the equivalent to what Berhalter is doing. Perhaps you are saying that because some of Costa Rica's best players are in MLS (i.e., they're not ignoring others in better/equivalent leagues), that means that the USSF should ignore others in better/equivalent leagues.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    My point is that MLS players are showing well for other teams in the region. As a matter of fact, of late, our best field players have been the much maligned MLSers.

Sargent, Pulisic, McKennie, even Yedlin and Brooks have had bad, even very bad games. Yet people give them a pass when they underperform.

I'm not pro-MLS, but it bothers me when people feel a need to praise Zardes with reservations after being one of the best players for a third game in a row.

That's unfair, since they don't feel such a need for the guys abroad. It's like people here are feeling bullied by those who cannot tolerate any other narrative than "MLS sucks."

And I'm done with you, too. You like to pretend to be impartial, but you're always manipulating the narrative that way, trying to bully people to accept your way of thinking.

Done, and goodbye. Don't bother replying.

KCbus repped this.
  20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    whatever. You constant make straw man arguments and then get salty when you’re called out on them. All the while, you write sanctimoniously about how you want consistency - I guess that’s only for other people.

there’s no one who says “MLS sucks” - that’s a bullshit narrative that you made up as usual - the assertion is that MLS is roughly equivalent to B2/Championship and yet the USSF treats MLS players differently than players in other leagues.

btlove repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I don't get Miazga.

I see nothing in Robinson or CCV. And they were called for the U23 anyway.

Lichaj is not going through his best moment with Hull, and even when he looked good there, he was only meh with the NT.

So, for me, it's just Miazga's absence that bothers me.

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Roldan over morales. Lol

btlove and bsky22 repped this.
  23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Lovitz. Lol

btlove and bsky22 repped this.
  24. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    As the board's token Hull City fan, I have to ask what you are basing this opinion on? Lichaj's performed well in a variety of positions.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Last two games.