What's the USMNT identity?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DHC1, Oct 17, 2017.

1. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

We simply do not have the ball control skills of the Spanish or Argentinian players to play their styles of games. Heck, most of our players can't trap a god damn ball.

What we have is young players with speed. The system that best suit our personnel is the high press and quick counter. We need to finesse this style and execute it to perfection, and we'll look pretty decent on the world stage.

DHC1 repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    This shouldn't be that hard to understand. The drive to improve our developing players' ball-control skills must continue, but in parallel with the MNT playing to our current strengths.

Winoman repped this.
  3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chile's style with better athletes. Will have to match their skill though but I think we're getting close.

4. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Every quote we've seen from a series of coaches is how we are going to institute a "possession oriented, attacking" style and we've seen the negative defensive results from where we've decidedly built out of the back as a first resort.

This is not improving a deficiency (which would be fine) as much as "it's going to be our calling card, goddammit!" It's not like the German and Belgians can't control the ball exceptionally well.

5. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    #80 nobody, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    I can see how people think the US should be a more possession/skill based country. I mean, we have a significant Latin population that already plays the game that way, and if you look at MLS the growth and improvement is at least somewhat coming from increased recruits from South America and inter-league play is always going to see MLS teams facing off more against Mexican and South American teams than Europeans.

I absolutely agree that the current players available don't have the chops for the possession/skill game against better teams. We'll need to defend, hit teams on the counter, run and run, etc... But I think there is a growing tension between the old guard Anglo soccer mentality and a large portion of people who play and watch the game in this country. I'm not at all sure we'll have the same answer as to what our style is or should be as things continue to evolve.

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Not to mention that laying in the Spanish style demands Spanish referees, who protect attacking players much more rigorously than most international refs.

7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    That is a bizarre quote to take from that article. You are surprised a smallish skilled 18 yo is going to have some adapting to the physical play of adults?

Who is focused on playing like spain or south american teams (btw. south american styles vary greatly just like europe)? I'd sure like players with their technical ability and creativity but dont think we should play like the generic style you are implying.

It is baffling that continue to think just focusing on defending is going to get us to higher level. You seem to want to get back to our roots of 1994 which is a pretty low goal for a country with our resources.

Our most successful world cup consisted of us defending and countering in 1 of 5 games. We only got out of our group because we punched an aging team in the mouth that didnt respect us. That goal from that decidedly not English/German Clint Mathis was also needed. That team included two of our best possession central midfielders of all time.

I thought Belgium was the best team at the world cup. Yeah, their team being tactical and physical helped, but would have just been an also ran without Hazard and de Bruyne. The French sat back and countered but also had Greizman and that kid.... yeah, we are so far behind France and many other countries that drop off.

If you want to give up and pray for a miracle by focusing on defending that is fine. I'd much rather on focus on getting better at all aspects of the game, especially the ones that we are extremely deficient in.

Your ideas are as much an enemy of the game in this country just like those MLS zealots.

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #83 DHC1, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    This is a laughable take, bsky22.

The point from the article is that Lederman noticed Belgium and Spain have two vastly different styles and it seems strange to me that the three most recent USMNT coaches are all focused on the latter's style even though it doesn't play to our pool's strengths.

Belgium - more direct/long-ball and tactical

vs.

Spain - more possession and build up play.

It has absolutely nothing to do with "playing with adults" but rather the tactics of the league.

Wrt today's team, you asked "Who is focused on playing like spain or south american teams?" Are you kidding me? Look at almost every quote from GB: he wants to institute a possession, short-passing game.

Here's a GB quote that rubbed me raw: "Obviously, you want to win games, but we want to do it playing beautiful soccer. If we can play beautiful and win then I think everyone will be happy."

I care about maximizing the odds of us winning now and don't GAF about beautiful soccer. To that end, I fundamentally believe that attempting to play beautiful soccer (which clearly means possession style attacking a la Spain to GB) materially diminished our ability to compete today and in the near future vs top 20 teams.

I fail to see why forcing a style that we don't have any current advantage in (relative to the top 20 teams) is to our benefit. As you noted, we don't even have the same midfielder skills as we did in 2002.

As I've said before, when we have a deep pool of players who are in the top 32 teams in the world and are world class at playing a possession style, I'm all for it because at that point, a reasonable argument can be made that it will help us WIN. Until then, let's maintain our defense-first identity that has led us to our historic success and improve our odds of WINNING each game. Instead, you seems to want us to erode our strong defensive abilities in a quixotic quest to play attractive soccer even though we don't have the players for it at this point.

Our drop in defensive abilities was a major reason why we didn't make Russia IMO but perhaps you think it's worth it so that we can claim to have made progress from 1994 and look more like Mexico.

An Unpaved Road repped this.
  9. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Organized, defense focused approach = enemy of the game. :ROFLMAO:

DHC1 repped this.
  10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    And somehow, it also means that we can't improve our technical skills too.

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Take a look a the USA v Italy game. As soon as we grabbed possession in our end, Italy fouled. End of counter. They didn't want to let us in their end because they knew that a foul in their end would lead to a set play and score.

We must become better at ball movement by passing out of the back which stops that tactic. We can do it. We must.

12. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Well, I think what gets missed in these discussions is the reality that all teams do some of both and all teams have somewhat different balances of these things. So sure, we do want to be able to pass in back when practical.

But, I think the Italy example makes little sense. For one, Italy is not terrified of the USA's incredible set piece abilities. Sure, set pieces are one of our better chances to score against teams better than us, but Italy was not quaking in their shoes at the US free kick takers. Also, spending more time on the ball in the back is basically the opposite of what you want to do if you want to get into the other team's half before they can foul you, had they been in a hurry to foul us before we could get close to them.

13. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Oh, and lots of teams press us in the back to be sure, because we're crap with the ball in the back and we do need to improve. But, it is a weakness to hide, not a strength to highlight.

DHC1 repped this.
  14. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    The leagues have two different styles. The Belgium team is influenced somewhat by the league style, but plays quite differently. Their national is succeeding because the players are primarily playing in England, Germany, spain, Italy, and spain. Belgium led possession of all their world cup games except for the game against Brazil and second against England.

what I took from the article was that the is a small, technical player who benefited greatly from his time at Barcelona, Fifa rules screwed him, and he needed to adapt to a different style but his technical abilities still met or exceeded the norm.

Gent's reserve team manager, Bart van Renterghem, is putting his players through their paces; Lederman's quality on the ball is evident. While he is the slightest player on the field, he has little difficulty dealing with the technical aspects of the session and shows off a potent left foot.

Even at the age of 11, Lederman's technique and vision simply dazzled their scouts.

"In Barcelona, everyone was treating Ben just like one of the kids," Tammy Lederman said by telephone. "He didn't get any special treatment so he didn't feel anything special or feel anything unique. He's a small kid who came to play here. That's all we wanted him to concentrate on."

15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Short passing/possession oriented game doesnt mean playing like spain. Germany plays a possession oriented game and Englands game is evolving. I havent seen anyone say they want us to play tiki taka.

Playing attractive soccer would do a lot to grow the game in this country and for the long term talent levels. If that ticks you off then I think you are being shortsighted.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  16. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Yep, convinced you are being shortsighted. It's all about winning today. I dont see anything about improving so we can actually compete with top teams. It reminds me of soccer moms and dads that ruined the enjoyment of coaching.

You seem to not understand that we dont have a current advantage in anything. Spain has better defenders than us. The players we have coming up are incredibly more talented than we are used to and most of them have gotten themselves in much better environments at much earlier ages. I'd rather they be allowed to play a style that they can and want to play instead of picking the eight best defending players and a striker and pulisic to counter.

17. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    This is nonsense. It was soft players and complacency.

I was disgusted by not qualifying and the way the team ended the Hex. The coach everyone wanted coddled the soft players, the complacency was obvious, and the ridiculous defensive approach to road games was sickening. My goal is for us to win the world cup. To do that we will have to be able to play a possession whether we decide to or not. I wouldn't have us play like Mexico because it wouldn't use the physical capabilities we have over them.

18. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #93 DHC1, Jan 10, 2019
    1. Do you think that trying to play "beautiful soccer" gives us any advantage today?

2. Who are our players who play this style at an elite level? i'd argue that both CP and WM play a more direct countering style.

3. Are you willing to continue to miss world cups and not make knock out rounds if we do qualify so that we can play attractive soccer? How long are you willing to underperform?

4. Do you think we're closer to being a strong defensive team relative to the top 20 teams or closer to being a strong offensive team?

5. Why does emphasizing an "Organized, defense focused approach" (hat tip to Unpaved Road) mean that we're not improving technically?

6. Are there not elite teams that use an "Organized, defense focused approach?"

7. Do you recognize that you sound a lot like Mexican fans who take constant solace that "well, we played attractive soccer in losing in the R16 round" except that we won't make the R16 round because our pool doesn't yet have the talent for it.

8. Why don't you think we can wait until we develop a deep pool of technical players to roll out a strategy that relies on it?

9. Do you realize that playing possession soccer requires all eleven players to be technically skilled and we're a long way from having a team that has both skill and the requisite speed/tenacity?

10. do you not think our pool is improving (putting aside a lost cycle) in technique?

19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    You think we played defensive in the Hex? Why did we give up more goals than in many previous cycles?

You also think we played defensively in TNT? wow.

20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Winning grows the game and losing stifles it.

What do you think happens if we miss Qatar?

What if we lose three games in 2026 as we institute a style which doesn't fit our pool?

21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    ?

22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    we played defensively and for a tie at Panama, Mexico, and Honduras. We came away with 3 points. Im pretty sure we could gotten more points if we played those games to win.

Arrogance and complacency is what beat us at Trinidad.

We played poorly throughout the Hex. Our GF and GA was inflated by a couple of games.

23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Being entertaining and more attractive grows it more than boring defensive soccer.

You must think we really suck and havent been paying attention to the quality and quantity of u23 players that we have. We would only miss Qatar due to the incompetence of the Fed, poor coaching, and interference from the league. That is the only reason we missed Russia and we will have a significantly more talented and deep pool. Being afraid of CONCACAF is is just stupid.

24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #99 DHC1, Jan 10, 2019
    I think our CONCACAF opponents truly want us to play as you suggest as that is evidence of us not taking them seriously. As you previously wrote, unexpected results can and do occur when a team underestimates another just like Portugal in 2002. We are a team that is ripe to be pressed and countered because we don't have the team to play possession soccer.

Our regional opponents have improved tremendously - an unintended consequence of MLS' success - although we do have more talent and if we play to our strengths, it absolutely improves our odds of qualifying.

I'm interested to hear some of your thoughts on post #93

25. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    It seems to me that before we can answer this question we need to talk about who our core players are and whether there is a common denominator among them that points to a particular style working for them.

DHC1 repped this.