What's The Longest Book You Ever Read?

Discussion in 'Books' started by EvanJ, Dec 20, 2015.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excluding textbooks that I have no way of finding out how many pages they were, I read The Whirlwind of War: Voices of the Storm, 1861-1865 by Stephen B. Oates which has 718 pages of text.

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Possibly War and Peace. The paperback was a little over 1100 pages. But I would suspect that DFW's Infinite Jest is longer in terms of word count, esp. taking into account the footnotes, which are part of the story. That was pretty close to 1100, IIRC.

Edit: oops. Amazon says it was Robert Burton's Anatomy of Melancholy, at 1424 pages.

Multi-volume books it's hands down LaGrange's biography of Gustav Mahler. The 4th and final volume is subtitled "A Life Cut Short" and (edit!) Amazon tells me that, at 1758 pages, it is also the winner for the longest single volume. The other volumes were pretty close to 1000 pages.

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I never finished A Tale of Two Cities because it seemed to go on forever, does that count?

4. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something like
    1. The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkein 1,216 pgs
    2. Battlefield Earth - L Ron Hubbard 1,050 pgs (yes, that one, but long before it ever graced screens)
    3. The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky ~1,000 pgs
    Coincidentally I happen to have it on my desk atm* and it's 1,079 pages to be exact (soft cover). I have it thinking that someday I will finish it (<3 David Foster Wallace, RIP), but I have only read the first maybe 150 pages a long time ago and barely had any idea what was going on.

(* The reason I have it out is the book is actually so thick that I'm using it to prop something up with an irreparably broken base and it's the perfect size. :D)

BalanceUT and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, Les Miserables is sitting here at 1264 pages while The Stand checks in at 1153 pages.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is also 1264 pages, which really can't be a coincidence.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's an interesting point. Some of the badly-written literary theory I had to read in grad school seemed interminable. I'll have to see if I can remember what books I had to read standing up in order to not nod off... Probably Frederic Jameson's Signature of the Visible

7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Best use for it...........

I'm thinking that maybe Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant clocks in at around 3,000 pages.

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I'm guessing there are wayy more words tot he page in Les Miserables than The Stand

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's more like 1,400 pages, but maybe you aren;t counting the philosophical thing at the end??

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was actually mis-remembering and didn't get around to looking up the page count for the signet paperback. I don't have it anymore.

11. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Currently reading History of the United States of America During the Administrations of Thomas Jefferson ( Henry Adams), which is 1252 pages, unless it counts as 2 books.
    Next up is The Way We Live Now (Anthony Trollope), 952 pages.
    The Brother Karamazov may be longer, but I read it years ago and don't have the book anymore to check the page count.

12. RomaRomaRoma

RomaRomaRoma Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Denmark
    Club:
    AS Roma
    My War and Peace stands at 1215, that's the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation.

I just started In Search of Lost Time which should trump all in terms of length - wish my luck...

13. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it fair to count series like that?

14. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My longest is What it Takes by Richard Ben Cramer, 1072 pages.

15. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Most of my physical book collection is elsewhere now, so I don't have definite page counts, but if I had to guess I would say:

Les Miserables (unabridged)
    Brothers Karamazov
    I'm not counting Lord of the Rings as it's in 3 volumes.

16. Los Santos

Los Santos New Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlas Shrugged - But I really enjoyed it so it didn't seem to take forever. But the 90 page speech by John Galt was difficult to get through.

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the whole of The Life and Times of Pancho Villa (footnotes and bibliography and all), which checked in at 1004 pages. And I didn't think it went on too long - most sections were relatively succinct.