What's The Biggest Margin Of Victory By A Team Who Was In Last Place Afterward?

Discussion in 'Statistics and Analysis' started by EvanJ, Feb 5, 2017.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday there was Crystal Palace 0:4 Sunderland. Sunderland remained in last, trailing 19th place Crystal Palace on goal differential.

2. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vaguely remember one instance, around the middle of an early MLS season, of the last-place team beating the first-place team by 5 goals -- but I'm pretty sure in that case the last-place team didn't stay in last place. I think the Colorado Rapids were involved in that game, but I don't remember whether they were the last place team that won or the first place team that lost.

EvanJ repped this.
  3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On August 8, 1999, Chicago beat Colorado 5-0. Colorado finished 6 points behind the first in the West and 9 points behind the Supporters Shield, but they had 5 wins and 8 losses after that game, so they could have been in first before then. Is there a quick way of finding out the MLS standings as of a time during a season?

Elninho repped this.
  4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think it was that game. I may be conflating two games too. I just remember a last place team winning big against a first place team. I'm pretty sure by a 5 goal margin, I'm less sure about Colorado being one of the teams involved but that name just keeps coming to mind.