Whats the best NT in central america?

Discussion in 'Central America' started by jared9999, Feb 23, 2005.

1. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Now that's something....

2. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Morado, what has changed in Costa Rica that has given them the success from 1988 to the present that they did not have previously to that?

Also, CR is very lucky that Mexico was DQd for Italy because their 2nd round appearance would likely have been removed in place of a knocked out in the semifinal appearance. That format truly sucked as CR was the 2nd best team in the region, but they might not have made the hex (pent!).

3. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    better luck or more money

4. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    i dont think you can make a case in Central America that there has been one team more dominant than the others. If anything, Central America tends to go in cycles. El Salvador and Honduras showed themselves first and it took almost 20 years for CR to make it to the WC. Since then Honduras and El Salvador has lost some ground.

Is it fair to assume thatr El Salvador lost some ground during the 80s due to their tragic civil war?

5. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I'd have to say Costa Rica. Top ranked in FIFA rankings, appeared in 2002 WC, has by far more players in Europe than any other Central American country, favorite to advance to Germany 2006 (instead of Guatemala and Panama).

6. kingchapin

kingchapin New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Houston
    put starting eleven for both guatemala and costa rica and guate is by far the best team....who cares about history we are talking about present and once this is settled I will allow everyone to come back and apologize....end of discussion...

7. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    That's the thing about discussions though.. It doesn't matter who wins when... the discussions will never be settled.... If they win now, they say they beat you before... If you say we beat you before, they say we beat you now... it will never end...

8. Goathemala

Goathemala Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Monterey,California
    Club:
    CD Zacapa
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    KingChapin you lucky your in Houston, you get to see Guatemala vs South Africa for the gold cup. Thats the game I wanted to see.

9. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Are you serious????? after reading the last page of this thread you still think that GUA is better than CR? Aren´t 9 goals in 2 games enough for you?
    C´mon.....!
    CRs b team just beated the sh!t out of GUA, with 11 unknown players...and @ home...????? hello!
    You are really lucky that you live in houston, you didnt have to see your GUA getting smacked by CR-B on your own yard.

10. Goathemala

Goathemala Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Monterey,California
    Club:
    CD Zacapa
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

Yeah yeah your B team beat our B Team (we were missing like 7 players) we get it, Happy. Now moving on.....

11. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    costa rica and guatemala are good teams but of course in just my opinion costa rica is better than guatemala. not just because of the 4-0 score. i believe that costa rica will finish the hex better than guatemala.

12. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    you should say that to your buddy kingchapin, i know that you and racindog already understood, it just seems that he still doesn't get it.

13. paul51

paul51 New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    I think every person with some football knowledge will have to agree tha CR is and probably will always be better than GUat....

14. Goathemala

Goathemala Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Monterey,California
    Club:
    CD Zacapa
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Not always, at the moment but not always. Thats what everyone else in concacaf said about the US and we know how that changed, plus Guatemala (those in charge of the National team) have never really taken going to the world cup seriuosly until now and more money has been invested. Other times they dint even care if the National team played and stayed in shape. I see Guatemala coming out and showing what we have as our population grows and those in charge finally figure out that soccer in Guatemala is the main sport and can make them more money if they invest more and not just by bringing in players from South America that get paid to much to play for our teams, I would rather bring in players from Africa or Asia.

15. Toronto Papi

Toronto Papi New Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I think that Costa Rica at the moment does have a better overall NT team. (Based upon their two appearances in WCs, and how they have been matching up against Guatemala, esp recently.) Guatemala is a team taht is improving however, and one should not even state that CR will always be better than GUA. If Guatemala makes the world cup this year and does a decent job then this can be seen as the first step in becoming a CONCACAF powerhouse.

16. ranciddroog

ranciddroog New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Guatemala city
    merida its ranciddroog

17. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i agree that you can't say that a nt will always be better than another. i think that guatemala has what it takes to be the next concacaf team in the world cup. i don't know if guatemala will finish in the top three but with the fourth spot in the air it will be fun to watch if four concacaf teams make it to the world cup

18. kingchapin

kingchapin New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Houston
    didn't i end this thread young bucks....yall go ahead and start another thread and play along....ticos better than chapines...haaaaaaaa......where is my chapines at????? can't wait till we play yall

19. kingchapin

kingchapin New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Houston
    eaaaasssy tiger....knowledge?..you probably haven't ever played soccer ..and playstation doesn't count

20. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Oh yeah... you ended this thread....i forgot it.....LLLLLOL!!!!!!

why???? isn´t it 9 goals in 2 games enough for YA?

21. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Alajuelense winning the CCC in 1986 really helped our clubs in revamping their structure and development. Also, it was a fortunate thing that Mexico was disqualified for the semifinals of the penta.

The true trigger to our success was beating Sweden 1-2 to reach the 2nd round, though.

22. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  23. anthony85

anthony85 New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    UC Berkeley
    1.Guatemala or Honduras
    3.El Salvador
    4.Costa Rica

24. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    If we go by results in the last year this would be my ranking

1. Honduras
    2. Panama
    3.Guatemala
    4. Costa Rica
    5. El Salvador
    6. Belize & Nicaragua

It might all change (hopefully for us) during the qualifiers.

25. rceveda

rceveda New Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    now, honduras
    historically, CR

but it is always pretty darn close and Guate & panama are good 3rd places