Whats the best NT in central america?

Discussion in 'Central America' started by jared9999, Feb 23, 2005.

1. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i believe it is Costa Rica

2. rabieta

rabieta New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Panama
    Maybe, but not after the loss they suffered against Mexico.

If we forget the past and focus on the present, I think that Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Panama are evenly matched.

Honduras, Nicaragua, and El Salvador would come next.

3. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Right now, up to this point, this is the order I have them:

1)Costa Rica
    2)Guatemala
    3)Honduras
    4)Panama
    5)El Salvador
    6)Belize
    7)Nicaragua

4. guategol

guategol New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    vancouver
    1.Guatemala
    2.Costa Rica
    3.Honduras
    4.Panama
    5.El salvador
    6.Belize
    7.Nicaragua

5. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    1. Costa Rica
    2. Honduras
    3. Guatemala
    4. Panama
    5. El Salvador
    6. Belize
    7. Nicaragua

6. I haven't been following too closely until the current UNCAF tourney, but Milton Nunez and Wilmer Velasquez of Honduras look amazing together. Granted, this was against Nicaragua and Belize. We'll see what happens when they play Guatemala.

I don't know if CR's home loss to Mexico should tell us anything about the side's current strength. Didn't they have a bit of trouble with Cuba as well?

7. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    1)Costa Rica
    2)Guatemala
    3)Panama
    4)Honduras
    5)El Salvador
    6)Belize
    7)Nicaragua

CR, Guatemala, and Panama are in the hex. they have to be everybody's top three.

8. Goathemala

Goathemala Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Monterey,California
    Club:
    CD Zacapa
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    1 Guatemala
    2 costa rica
    3 Honduras
    4 panama
    5 El Salvador
    6 Nicaragua
    7 departamento de belice

9. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

LOL!!!

10. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Why do you refer to Belize as Departamento de Belize or State of Belize(in an older post?
    Isn't the republic of belize (i dunno if they are a rep.) recognized as a country in Guatemala?

11. Goathemala

Goathemala Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Monterey,California
    Club:
    CD Zacapa
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Good question, well its not to me and millions in Guatemala. In many places youll find it as part of our map(territory).

12. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Ah...i see...is it any player born in belize playing for guatemala?

13. Goathemala

Goathemala Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Monterey,California
    Club:
    CD Zacapa
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    No, but there is one from Guatemala and he played against Guatemala in this tournament, and I know theres more in the lineup.

14. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    uh.. hmm...

Sorry for laughing, then, I guess.... I thought you had meant it as a joke, because of the history of the two countries...

15. Goathemala

Goathemala Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Monterey,California
    Club:
    CD Zacapa
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    You can laugh, dont worry. Yo se que nos lo robaron pero que se va ser.
    Saludos.

16. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    well its looking like costa rica is the best team in central america after beating guatemala 4-0. not that that was the starters for each team but it shows that CR has more depth.

17. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

Did Panama outplay Honduras? Or did Guatemala knock off El Salvador?

You can claim they are the best, but they are not logically the best. Who proved to be the best?

CR & Guatemala > Honduras
    Panama > El Salvador

You can't really say CR is better than Guatemala when Guatemala qualified first and had nothing to play for in their last game where they got block out by CR.

Still...

Costa Rica
    Guatemala
    Honduras
    Panama
    El Salvador (and El Salvador were awful)

18. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Guatemala qualified first, but, CR won the group; and thats what is gonna be written in history.
    CR has scored 9 goals in the last 2 games against GUA, one in Saprissa's and one in mateo flores (5-0, 0-4)
    Check the all time record between CR and GUA
    You can really say CR is better than GUA

19. paul51

paul51 New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    I will have to agree with morado on this one, CR over the years, past, present and future has been better than guatemala...

20. Goathemala

Goathemala Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Monterey,California
    Club:
    CD Zacapa
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    costa rica has beaten Guatemala 2 out of the last 3 games and has scored 10 goals against our 2 goals, but when it comes to you guys playing honduras its different, seems like you give it all against us but not against Honduras. On the other hand when we play Honduras we get a good result, we have a better record in the past games against them.

21. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I definitely botched the articulation of my point and you have butchered me on it. Let me rephrase.

You can say CR is better that Guatemala. You can also say Guatemala is better.

What I was trying to suggest is that there is not a defined and clear cut advantage on who is better in 2005. Historically CR is much better as a matter of fact.

However, counting the last win in the semifinal round as being demonstrative of the relationship of the two countries is fundamentally flawed. The way I see it is that in the game when both countries had everything to play for Guatemala did fine. Costa Rica did fine when only Costa Rica had something to play for.

Costa Rica has been a solid side from 85 through the present and Guatemala has not. Costa Rica knocked the US out of WCQ in 85, won the hex for 90 and advanced to the 2nd round of the WC, missed out on 2 cups, but then came back and won the hex for 02 and showed very well at the World Cup.

However, history does not matter much for this hex.

All I was trying to say is that it is not beyond arguement that Costa Rica or Guatemala are better than each other. I believe they did not answer that question in the semifinal round.

A good counter example is the US and Panama. It was clear cut who the better team was in semifinal round and it is not up for reasonable debate.

I think you can make the arguement that Guatemala is the better team than Costa Rica and that if Guatemala needed a point to advance in the final game of the semifinal round that might have gone to Costa Rica and gotten a 0-0 or a 1-1. That is a reasonable arguement.

You can also make the arguement that Costa Rica started the semifinal round in confusion with a new coach, etc. Once Costa Rica settled they got into form and showed why they are one of the giants in the region.

Either arguement is valid and neither should be dismissed.

It was my mistake to simply type that you cannot "say" one is better than the other. I merely meant that there is reasonable room for disagreement there and that neither has proved in this cycle that they are in fact better than the other team. Again as opposed to Canada. Both teams proved they are a stronger side that Canada and it would be a stretch to argue that Canada is better without getting into conspiracy theories.

22. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Dont get me wrong, i am not trying to jump over you, the thing is that there is not even one solid point to say that GUA and CR are at the same level.

This is wrong, there is no fact at all that probes it. CR is better than GUA in history, in the last game, in the global ranking, in the all-time record, in the qualifying round, in the UNCAF tournament....

There has been only one game between them, we all know the score CR 4- 0 GUA

CR and GUA played a game like that in MIAMI, before the last HEX, it has a dead-game, who ever won, qualified for the 2001HEX, the loser went home. Final Score: CR 5-2 GUA

it was a PENTA, not an HEX

Sorry i dont agree with you, i dismiss your argument of saying that GUA and CR are at the same level.

ThANXXX

23. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've played one game that was mutually meaningful in the last 4 years. Costa Rica did not win that match. That is a fact.

And yeah, although I was following things at the time I had forgotten that this was the final round in 1990:

P W D L Gls Pts
    1.Costa Rica 8 5 1 2 10- 6 11
    2.USA 8 4 3 1 6- 3 11
    3.Trinidad/Tobago 8 3 3 2 7- 5 9
    4.Guatemala 6 1 1 4 4- 7 3
    5.El Salvador 6 0 2 4 2- 8 2

And one of the biggest myths about concacaf is from the same WCQ cycle.

(CONCACAF Second round)

24.Jul 88 Kingston Jamaica 0-0 USA
    13.Aug 88 St. Louis USA 5-1 Jamaica

09.Oct 88 Cd. Guatemala Guatemala 1-0 Canada
    15.Oct 88 Vancouver Canada 3-2 Guatemala
    (Guatemala progressed on away goals rule.)

30.Oct 88 Port of Spain Trinidad/Tobago 0-0 Honduras
    13.Nov 88 Tegucigalpa Honduras 1-1 Trinidad/Tobago
    (Trinidad/Tobago progressed on away goals rule.)

01.Oct 88 Willemstad Dutch Antilles 0-1 El Salvador
    16.Oct 88 San Salvador El Salvador 5-0 Dutch Antilles

Mexico disqualified for fielding overaged players in a
    youth tournament. Costa Rica had a walkover.

That is stolen from http://www.planetworldcup.com/CUPS/1990/wc90qualification.html

24. Goathemala

Goathemala Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Monterey,California
    Club:
    CD Zacapa
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    If the directors in charge of Guatemalan Futbol really wanted to be among the top teams in Concacaf they could easily have done that years ago, but the reality is that those in charge dont care. Our league is the best paid in CentralAmerica, why is it that we can pay some South American 20,000 a month just to play one year in our league but they wont invest in our national team. We can easily spend more money to play better teams from other areas just like mexico started doing, we should be ashame that our national team can still lose 4-0 to a country that doesnt even have half our population, I congratulate costa rica because they did win the game,but I know we can spend more money on our national team instead of bringing in players that later end up taking our money and leave, what do we get? NOTHING! Saludos a todos y Viva Guatemala!!!

25. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    CR: 5 out of 8 UNCAF tournaments