What's our NT missing?

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by Xeneize12, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Xeneize12

Xeneize12 New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    La Palma, CA
    What's this NT missing?

For my taste, it's missing a caudillo (enforcer). Think back to last WC or even 98 - you had el Cholo Simeone there---first one to be in the opponents face, arguing, pressuring. Today, our national team is missing such a character. For example, think back to the game against Uruguay, where Tevez and others were getting their legs broken by every member of the Celeste (I see nothing wrong with this - they were fighting to get into the WC). During this game, there was no one stepping up tp protect our players - not even in a collective fashion. If our team is going to succeed we will need this type of player. I see this as one of the biggest components missing from our team.

Your thoughts?

2. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think that Mascherano will fit nicely into the shoes Cholo left. Also, we have to think about the players who are also possible candidates for the NT, such as Gago, Insua and Bilos. From what I've seen, these four do the job nicely.

I think our team is missing more of a pure finisher (Crespo and Cruz aren't good enough, and their pushing it in age), and also a better goalie. All these problems seem to be resolved, since we have the likes of Ustari and Palacio to replace them.

3. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    If he makes it to the WC ... and posssibly for that exact reason of being in the face of opponents and refs --> Kily.

4. Xeneize12

Xeneize12 New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    La Palma, CA
    I don't see Mascherano as an enforcer - not yet anyhow - - - at least not verbally.

However, I think Kily is pretty good at that.

5. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
  6. Aguante Bielsa

Aguante Bielsa BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 25, 2004
    Argentina
    Attitude. Unpredictability. A deadly striker.

7. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, I'd agree with that. A deadly striker like Adriano, or even Ronaldo, and a solid keeper like Chech or Dida...

8. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    From a non-argentine perspective, I see them missing a pure goalscoring striker. A lethal one

9. jrod69

jrod69 Member

Feb 19, 2005
    NYC
    mascherano doesnt look like the answer he looks too young and doesnt seem tough enough

10. AMW F.C.

AMW F.C. New Member

May 25, 2005
    Legion 1908
    They need Roman to be consistent and they'll do great.

11. Xeneize12

Xeneize12 New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    La Palma, CA

Attitude is definately missing. That's part of the problem - made worse with the lack of an enforcer.

I don't think they have a problem with dynamism (the opposite of predictability). I think they can switch gears fairly easily - and they are doing much better at playing without the ball -something Bielsa's teams did not do well (granted they controlled the ball 80% of the match - but were scored on with very little attack from the opposition)

Deadly striker is definately missing - at least a consisten one. I think Crespo can fill that role but unfortunately hasn't of late. I really think our answer lay with Tevez. So long as Pekerman can utilize him in a postion he is comfortable ine (center just outside the box) - he should be able to do well.

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As far as Argentina not having a deadly striker, I don't know what the hell Crespo has to do to prove himself. He's a proven goalscorer for the national team, and he's a proven goalscorer in the best leagues of Europe. He will never be Batistuta, but he is one of the best penalty area strikers in the world right now, he is playing in the most expensive team in the world, and while he is being platooned, he does score when he is given the chance.

I am the first to say that I don't like his style of play, he is not a great ballhandler, but rather an opportunist. But I came around, and he's earned my respect, because he is a lethal scorer. Most countries would love to have him. If he was Spanish, Italian, German or (imagine!), Mexican, the fans would be orgasmic over him, but I guess in Argentina we are spoiled by past greatness.

As long as Crespo remains healthy, I wouldn't worry about the centerforward position. But we are rather thin after him. Cruz and Figueroa are not quite in the same level.

Messi, Tevez, Saviola and Palacio are great players, awesome talents, but they are not penalty area strikers, they are withdrawn strikers. They are players who like to handle the ball, and go back looking for it. As for the air game, Tevez hardly ever heads the ball, Saviola even less. Palacio perhaps has a bit more capability to play in the penalty area, but it would be missusing him, he's no centerforward. There is good reason why at Boca he replaced Barros Schelloto rather than Palermo.

Crespo needs to be fed, but you put Crespo alongside the likes of Tevez, Messi, Riquelme or Aimar, and he'll get his chances, much more than at Chelsea. And when he gets the ball in scoring position, he'll score. I garantee it.

13. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Did you see the Chelsea match today? He scored the winning goal and what an amazing finishing it was. And he had at least 3 more chances to score. He definitely needs to get more play time and when he does he always seems to come through for them when they need it. How they prefer Drogba over him I do not know.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, it is funny. I was watching the Chelsea match on Fox Espanol when I posted, and Crespo scored with that awesome volley only minutes after I posted. Later Drogba missed a much easier opportunity.

As far as Mascherano, I agree that he is not a badass like Simeone was, or Ruggeri and Passarella before him, and he never will be. The thing is, you have to trully be an ************** to play that role, you cannot fake it, and Mascherano is not a bad guy. He could use a bit of the meanness of a Somoza or a Cascini, but of course he is a better player than those two.

Be as it may, Mascherano has to be our starting DM, if healthy. He is not a player who will be feared, who will try to intimidate, but he will embarrass opponents and earn their respect. He can play rough and tackle strongly when necesary and he also is great at positioning and at cutting off passes. He is a great destroyer of the opponent's play, and in addition he can handle the ball and start attacks.

If we really need a badass, we have to look at another position. It could be Killy, but I'm not sure if he's a starter at this point. Maybe Coloccini in central defense? Because Ayala can be physical but he is not that type of player either.

15. mime26

mime26 New Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Boston
    Carlitos Tevez is a badasss mutt. D'Alessandro also has that fiery temper, but I doubt he'll start.

16. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You guys are fine....the only thing you guys are really missing is the Portuguese language. :rolleyes:

17. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I didn't see the game, but the difference between a great striker and a deadly one lies in these missed occasions. I think a player like Adriano in his best moments would score almost on the slightest occasion.

Don't misunderstand me; I think Crespo is a class striker and has proven that both on NT and clubs. His positioning is excellent. He seems to know where the ball is to be expected. But I am still more impressed by the lethal qualities of a guy like Adriano.

This said, I am sure that if well served by both Tevez and Messi (come on, Peker, don't be over cautious!) he can be one of the best strikers at the WC.

18. ruud van semz

ruud van semz Red Card

Dec 27, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    gabriel heinze is what you guys are missing, for the wc anyway :( and for the whole epl season :(

19. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think Tevez, Collicini, Ayala are ecent at being leaders, talking to refs and enforcing when needed.,,, but you are right in pointing out that we have become to "nice" even Ruggeri has said we need to "cheat" more to finish an opponent off and this comes from better coaching. Pekermann needs to learn that at the senior level you don't win a tourney without some form of play acting , cheating or some "enforcement"... Killy yes would be a good choice now the more I think about it to be on the team at least as a role to give the team some BOLAS. I am still confident things will come together in time though.

20. JuveFE

JuveFE Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Jersey
    to be honest, i have to to agree with this. i think heinze is a HUGE loss. i'm fine with the way we look up front and the midfeild but our defense and keeper is the only thing that scares me. IMO gabriel heinze is irreplacable at this time. not only for us but man u aswell.

21. Futballer

Futballer New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Canada
    I agree I don't know what Crespo has to do to be considered one of the best in the world.....What, is two goals in the champions league final not good enough, or how about two goals against Brasil???
    He deserves way more playing time than what he gets at Chelsea. Some people say he doesn't fit in the system, then why not sell him, and let him atleast play somewhere.

Just think how better he would be for the National team if he played more often.

22. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    When a player gets the little time to play that Crespo gets, and STILL manages to score 4 goals in 5 games for Chelsea, that's impressive. Not to mention that he scored twice in the CL final, and twice against Brazil. My only concern with him is that he's starting to push it in years...

23. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am sorry, viejo, but I need to disagree on this. I'm not totally naive and know that at this level of play, some actions at the edge of the rules are sometimes needed to make a difference, but I think that teams that behave that way are generally despised by real football lovers.

In fact, I'd rather have my team lose but earn respect worldwide for the quality of its play, within the limits of the fair play, than win because of bullying and cheating. But of course, that's my own opinion.

I think that our current NT has such amazing skills that it is going to leave a great impression at the WC, whether it wins it or not. I would find it sad if this would be spoiled by dishonest behaviour.

24. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

The question is who will be playing next to Mascherano? We need another player to stop plays, recover and distribute the ball? Lucho? Cambiasso? Gago is too young and still has alot of faults and alot to learn. I think the 4-4-2 is out of the question for our team.. a 4-5-1 if Crespo plays or a 4-2-2-2 if Crespo is out. Crespo is a tank style forward and when he is not particpating, he's dead weight. any news on Heinze?

25. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    Interesting to see the schools of thought being discussed here ...

It is always good to have a temperamental player in the team, to gain the physical respect of the opponents ... to challenge verbally if teammates are being abused, etc. In the WC, those players HAVE to be Kily and Veron.

But here I want to emphasize that the real chances of Argentina rely on the versatility of systems we can play. Depending on the rival, instead of imposing "our system" as in the Bielsa era.

Mascherano has to be one of the most elegant mofos in the DM I've seen play for Argentina. His ability to win the ball back overshadows the need of lets say Simeone to challenge each ball with a dog face. Who plays next to Mascherano will depend on the rival ... there will be games like against a Brazil or Holland when I believe we need a double 5 ... against most other teams Mascherano can play the single DM role without a problem, knowing that the team helps out in defense regardless.

Now ... in football things have to be simple. And I say this in regards to the stricker. As ASF wrote, there is nothing that Crespo should need to do to prove he is the #9 of the NT. And as expressed, Crespo is a finisher. Don't ask him to dribble past 2 or 3 men, unless they are subpar defenders. So ... Pekerman needs to find the right combination upfront DEPENDING ON THE RIVAL.

I honestly think that there is no way Aguero will be left out of the final 23. Either as a replacement to Crespo when there is need for speed if confortable ahead in the score, or to play along him if things get dark.

To many of the Tevez and Messi fans and believers out there ... Aguero is a far more dangerous player. I won't take one bit of what Tevez and Messi deserve, I am just saying Aguero is on top of both, and should be the key to open up those deadlocks that appear in every WC.