What will end Spanish Club dominance

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Steve Page, May 19, 2016.

1. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So Spain will win both European club competitions again. Getting a bit boring, isn't it? Obviously huge credit goes to the Spanish teams for this achievement. What do other countries have to do to catch up? Which country or team is most likely to do it? How long will it take? Will Spanish success lead to reduced tv contracts next time round?

Hopefully someone else will win next time. So long as it isn't financially-doped teams like Man City and PSG I don't mind who.

2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Not really. Certainly better than when English clubs were winning European Cup finals 1-0 on the trot back in the 70s and 80s.

3. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Boredom is subjective and I'm bored of it. I guess the only way to measure interest is TV viewing figures. However, I can't find any reliable breakdown per country. The overall number has been going up but that may be due to increased reach. The figures in the UK for the Champions League are very low this year because UEFA sold the rights to an obscure broadcaster.

I can't remember the 70s and early 80s. At least you didn't have finalists from the same country back then.

4. Who's contracts?
    By the way, in the 70ies and 89eis the only way to have two clubs of the same country in the European Cup was hte winner as the defender and another as the champion of the same country.

5. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The contracts from everywhere in Europe other than Spain. Viewing figures are always highest in any country when a team from that country is playing. When Bayern were last in the final the German TV figures were at their highest. Lots of people aren't that interested if there isn't a club from their country involved. They're even less interested when it is two teams from the same league that isn't their own. Predictability kills excitement.

I would much prefer a return to the old format of the European Cup. Champions only. Every match matters. Obviously not going to happen because the cash is too important to too many.

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Any relationship between domestic league TV contracts and the performance of those teams in UEFA events is tangential. Liverpool haven't exactly been a European giant of late but they're still a massive TV draw, so it would take a generation of sour performances to alter a league's media appeal. Especially since the content for the league packages is predicated on different rivalry sets and their own drama.

It is possible the La Liga contracts are on the up in part from their UEFA performances, but I'd contend that's only in because the additional UEFA monies and success has helped the 2nd tier clubs retain their appeal against their traditional Barca/Madrid dominance. Plus the knock-on effect of Spain's national team success has raised the overall love affair with the game to new heights, but this is more an extraordinary scenario.

If Serie A has suffered it's been less about UEFA standings and more the after-effects of the scandals that pegged some teams back and their lingering issues with poor live environments impacting club finances media appeal. (Global partners have told them the sparse crowds and certain ultras aren't good for international telecast value.)

- - -

Meanwhile, as to the original post, the answer is "time." These things are cyclical and ever shall it be. Soon enough other teams from other nations will do well and we'll hit a patch where the Spanish clubs hit a drought, and pundits will wonder if their golden age is done, etc etc etc. I'm guessing before 2022, even, we'll see back-to-back years without a Spanish club hoisting a UEFA trophy.