What Two Teams Will Make It Out?

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea' started by Jtsmith1, Dec 1, 2017.

?

Which Two Will Advance?

1. Germany

127 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. Mexico

85 vote(s)
    59.0%
  3. Sweden

46 vote(s)
    31.9%
  4. South Korea

19 vote(s)
    13.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    We will see.

JJV1994 repped this.
  2. ExpatSwede

ExpatSwede Member

IF Elfsborg
    Sweden
    Jun 6, 2005
    California
    #27 ExpatSwede, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    The last Swedish golden generation was at the 2004 Euros, and the team now is the most promising since then. (2006 was the start of the decline, but things are better now) Sure, we don’t have Ibrahimovic or other stars, but we seem to play better without them. We are now working better as a collective with a strong defense, and managed to qualify without any of our forwards really being in form. (If Berg, Guidetti, and Toivionen really were in form, we would score far more, so hopefully that will improve for the World Cup.)

Living here in the US, I have been exposed to a fair bit of Mexico, but what I have seen doesn’t scare me. Mexico must be respected, but Mexico fans should not be too reliant on history to carry them forward.

Past performance is no guarantee of future success. We know that in Sweden after 2006! ;-) Up to that point we have qualified for several WCs and always gotten past the group stage - Except 1990. We do not talk about 1990, that was just a terrible performance. :-D

+PL+ repped this.
  3. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    Fair enough.

JJV1994 repped this.
  4. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Well, Germany will win this group, no doubt in my mind.

Of the other three teams, Mexico is the most talented on paper, but have a coach with a tendency of undermining his team in the most ridiculous of ways. Sweden doesn't have as much talent as Mexico, but are resilient and better coached. South Korea isn't bad, but they don't seem to have the defense nor firepower to survive all other three teams.
    Germany and Sweden.

5. Kung

Kung Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    It feels like swedish and mexican fans both feel like they'll qualify. The last match will be very Interesting.

We do have a few players in the current squad that won the U21 EC not that long ago. Who are rather used tog knock out the favorities.

6. Saudi Sheikh

Saudi Sheikh Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Near The Kingdom
    This is the second easiest group to predict after Belgium England one, Germany and Mexico to the next round, Sweden to tie Germany beat Korea but lose to Mexico in the most important match of the group Mexico's style simply doesn't suit them. Germany will however top this group as they almost always hammer mexico rather easily.

JJV1994 repped this.
  7. Special_talent23

Real Sociedad
    Mexico
    Mar 26, 2017
    JJV1994, LGRod and Californian81 repped this.
  8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Isnt it a fix that Germany, as the WC holder, go home after the group stage?

9. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its possible, but I don't see it happening with Germany. Germany show no sign of decline but Spain and Italy did before World Cup started.

10. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    besides they have this little crazy record of always reaching at least quarter finals or something like that in all world cups

11. Giegerich

Giegerich New Member

Dec 3, 2017
    Germany will have no problem in capturing a ticket to the 2nd round. Mexico and Sweden will fight for the other ticket. S. Korea has a slim chance to proceed to the next round. But it's OK. Few people in Korea hope their national team does good in the next year's World Cup Final.

12. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The real quesation here is probably who are most likely to do well playing away from home ? ... Mexico or Sweden ....

13. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Good question. I honestly don't think it'll affect any of those two teams all that much.

JJV1994 repped this.
  14. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

Mind says Germany and Mexico.
    Heart screams Germany and South Korea.

Realistically, everything will come down on the line for Korea in their 1st game against Sweden. A win against them, a draw against Mexico, and a close 1-0 match against Germany would be our only realistic chance of advancing. I'm hoping that one of the teams in this group underestimates Korea and ends up paying for it dearly.

Korea hasn't played well under their former gaffer Stielike and I can't say that I'm happy with the hiring of the new manager Shin Tae Yong but the inclusion of two Spanish coaches who both have an impressive resume seems to have changed Korea's squad chemistry. A few decent results and a noticeable change of playing style emerged so I'm hoping this carries into the World Cup.

15. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #40 poorvi, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Would it really be like an away game for Sweden?

Close geographic proximity coupled with Swedish fans having a history of travelling in numbers for the WC games. At least as a proportion of population, Swedish, Irish and the Icelanders send a lot of fans to major tournaments.

16. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #41 poorvi, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    I had posted this in the German forum

elviejomen repped this.
  17. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah the second game is almost like a fixture.
    It ends as a tie. Which I'm seriously thinking of making some money on the second game lol

poorvi repped this.
  18. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dont waste your money

poorvi repped this.
  19. ∆lemão

∆lemão Member

Aug 14, 2014
    "They weren't better"... Well, reality begs to differ.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Considering the fact that Germany defeated Argentina the last four times both teams met at a World Cup (1990, 2006, 2010, 2014), Argentinians should be the last ones showing up here with condescending posts regarding the DFB team. Argentina hasn't won anything in 24 years, so you might want to drop that arrogance.

During the 2014 World Cup knockout stages Argentina managed to score only one goal in regulation and needed overtime against Switzerland and penalties against the Netherlands in order to advance. So, don't be sore losers again with ridiculous revisionist history claims.

Keep in mind what Maradona's arrogance earned him after he refused to sit next to a lowly German, named Thomas Müller...

Argentina has won two World Cups. The last one happened over 30 years ago and the other one was bought by the military junta. Congratulations. But please stay away from threads discussing Germany until your number is called. Thanks.

20. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Germany and Sweden. Mexico aren't very good.

21. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    The guy is right Mexico aren't very good at all.

22. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Neither are Sweden, LOL.

JJV1994, LGRod and rich loc repped this.
  23. TGO

TGO Member+

Jul 4, 2011
    If Mexico aren’t good, Sweden is worse.

JJV1994, LGRod and TheHitman47 repped this.
  24. Kung

Kung Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    We'll have to play for it first.

H2H
    Sweden 2 wins
    Mexico 1 win
    And then 1 draw.

In the WC
    Sweden: 1 Silver, 2 bronzes and once 4 th place.
    Mexico: QF

25. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Arrogance??? Wtf? You are the one thats arrogant. I can discuss Germany whenever i want. Or...wait, is Germany untouchable? Is it forbidden to even suggest Germany might not be INVINCIBLE? Cause thats all im saying.

My team is very very beatable. Heck, i even said in this forum i dont think we will pass past quarter finals. And i said any of the teams in our group can beat us. And i even said Germany is currently the best team (alongside Brasil) and might win the whole thing. Yeah, much better team than Argentina.

I only said Germany might not be "invincible", but, according to you thats FORBIDDEN to say because my team didnt win as much WC as yours :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:So, whos condescent and arrogant here??

TheHitman47 repped this.