What Two Teams Will Make It Out?

Discussion in 'Group G: Germany, Ghana, USA, Portugal' started by Jtsmith1, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

What Two Will Advance?

1. Germany

91.8%
  2. Ghana

18.6%
  3. USA

41.4%
  4. Portugal

44.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody is going to touch Germany if they keep playing like this. At least not until the quarterfinals at the earliest. Just how much did this game mess up Portugal? They lost Pepe and the blow to morale is surely fierce. I think they're done. Teams rarely come back from beatdowns like this on the sport's biggest stage and this is a team that is known to not always be terribly motivated at world cups dating to what, 1966? If the US wins tonight we're in the driver's seat. But that's a very big if...

2. jogger

jogger Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Read back the end of my statement please...

3. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #278 raviept, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    That does not explain it all. In 2012, they were clearly better than today against the same opponent. And the teams from 2004-12 had grit. This tournament is being different for everyone. Portugal always lacked a striker and depth.

4. js16

js16 Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The world cup is the tournament where you need to be talented,fit and mentally stable to play at your best. The best portuguese perfomance is better than the best usa performance and ghana but in the world cup there is always a missing factor that adds to the unpredictability of a game.

5. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I think it isn't the defeat that is as crushing as it is the heavy score and how things went down (despite feeling that the referee played a role - although I still think we would lose with an all out attack tactic like that).

Portugal has enough quality to overcome the following 2 games but I am not sure what impact this had on the team. I would say that it's 50/50 and if US wins Ghana then they have a decent chance to go through.

6. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Biggest test for US is Portugal, especially now jozy altidore is out.
    Germany had enough weapons to break down the Portugal defense, not the US.
    US defense is also more competent down the middle than on the wings, not exactly the counter for nani and cr7...

World cup had always been more about talent and form than hearts and efforts.

one more thing
    Those said teams suffered a beatdown n their opening have no chance, first time you guys watching world cup?
    It's the complete opposite. Teams went far more often than not started awful.

7. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am expecting: Germany and USA.

I am hoping for: USA and Ghana.

8. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Yeah, but the US only has to get a draw against Portgual to virtually assure themselves of a spot in the knockout rounds, whereas Portugal has to win to have any chance, given their poor goal differential.

And given that Portugal is not a high-scoring team, getting a win against the US will be all the more difficult.

And in the 32-team era only 4 teams out of 46 have lost their first match and still advanced.

Turkey (2002): lost 2-1 to Brazil, drew Costa Rica, beat China
    Ghana (2006): lost 2-0 to Italy, beat Czech Republic 2-0, beat USA 2-1
    Ukraine (2006): lost 4-0 to Spain, beat Saudi Arabia 4-0, beat Tunisia 1-0
    Spain (2010): lost 1-0 to Switzerland, beat Honduras 2-0, beat Chile 2-1

Guinho repped this.
  9. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I think Germany will win the group and progress far in the WC, based on their talent, their history of success, and ability to most BIG 50/50 calls in their favor. But I would not draw any conclusions from this game***. Game was pretty even until Germany got the lead on imho an iffy penalty, and then Portugal self destructed. Most likely Germany will not be playing another game against 10 men who repeatedly shoot themselves in the foot.

*** Actually 2 conclusion. First if you want to beat yourself, Germany will help you along. Second, Mueller is a flopping, faking, piece of shit, only slightly better than Rivaldo and Joel Campbell. I am speaking about the flop on the hand to the face, not the headbutt, which was all on Pepe. If this is the kind of player he is, then in my opinion he deserved the miss the last WC semi on a weak yellow from the QF.

Romario'sgurl and Laaura repped this.
  10. Ultras4Ultras

Ultras4Ultras New Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Detroit Michigan
    Club:
    --other--
    They way I saw how all four teams play it will be a tight group Germany and USA will squeeze in!

11. SaltyCatter

SaltyCatter Member

Feb 16, 2009
    The West
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Germany is the only team who can beat Brazil- (Dutch are something of a wild card but I think they come up just a bit short)... hope the US is the 2nd out of this group = realistic hopes, but Jozy is a big loss-

12. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup you got it right Pancho....no way Ronaldo gets embarrassed in 3 games in a row.

13. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Seriously, is Ronaldo the most over-hyped guy at the World Cup (Wayne Rooney excepted) or what?

Let me know when he scores against somebody other than Iran & North Korea...

Christina99 repped this.
  14. magisterlucius

Nov 10, 2003
    Roseburg, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No thank you, sincerely, The United States.

15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    That said there was only one draw in the entire first round so far. Not sure how that impacts things, but you would expect more first round losers to bounce back just solely due to this. Maybe 2? Which 2?

On average 1998-2010 they were 4,5 draws per tournament in the first round. So far we've had one here. (3 out of the above 4 teams came from groups where both opening group games were not draws).

16. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    If I had to put money on one first-game loser to pull it off this time around it would be Bosnia, given that there last two games are against Nigeria and Iran, both weak teams they are eminently capable of beating. Croatia would be my second choice given that its entirely possible that they will be ahead of Mexico on goal difference at the end of round two and would therefore only need to draw in their last game.

Spain and Portugal have the talent to pull it off, but given the way they're playing so far, I doubt they will.

Nicola777 repped this.
  17. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    England - they have Uruguay and Costa Rica around the corner. Maybe Japan or Spain.

18. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, though I thought Germany were passing beautifully and finding gaps in the Portuguese defense well before the penalty.

magisterlucius repped this.
  19. d3rd3vil

d3rd3vil Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    @DNA: Ok so if you get a hand in your face like that you are the man and keep on running no matter what? And why? Who doesnt fall? Who didnt fall because of that during any game? What is fake about that? Wtf....it wouldve been a yellow or sth. and just a regular free kick nothing that scary. Where is the prob? That decided the game? ^^
    Pepe ********ed Portugal. He is a good man.

GalaxyOne repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Germany/USA :D We're in the Money

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    1 can only score against who they're playing against

22. Mr. Conspiracy

Mr. Conspiracy Member+

Apr 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well game 1 is in the books, US showed some resilence by coming back to get the win after giving up a late goal on what was really an excellent play and even better finish. I thought the US gave up far too much space to Ghana, not sure if that was a fear of getting beat on speed or if they were feeling the effects of the heat. They will need to tighten it up against Portugal though. Looking forward to Sunday and to see who will step in for Altidore and if the other US players like Besler adjust and overcome the muscle issues.

To my Portugal friends here, how much does missing Pepe hurt them? And because I didn't get to see the match, aside from being a man down, did Portugal ever really get any type of flow going in the game?

23. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pepe's loss may or may not be very significant. He was injured for a long time, while the replacement Neto seems at least decent to face Ghana and USA. The real loss was Coentrão. Along with Ronaldo, they formed one of the strongest wings in this world cup and now we are stuck with André Almeida, who is not a LB, is average at defending, and non-existent while attacking.

The midfield looked terrible and was completely outplayed, although part of it was the wrong approach of taking the game to the Germans. In particular, Veloso is terribly slow and not in a good shape. And Bento is too conservative to try to field a better team. So, USA will probably face a predictable and demoralized team, also being better fit. The only good news is that Hugo Almeida won't play. Unless individualities show up for Portugal, it shouldn't be too hard for the US to get a draw, at least.

24. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I think Mueller ridiculously exaggerated the contact. He went down like he was shot, in so much pain, clutching his face, but then immediately sprung to his feet to get in the face of Pepe after the head butt. So much for being injured or in pain.

And read my post again. Pepe is responsible for his own sending off. Neither player covered themselves in glory on that play.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Alas Mueller would go on to get the hat trick to make up for the dive whereas Pepe is heading home in disgrace.