What some liberals think of Bush/Republicans...

Discussion in 'Elections' started by USAsoccer, Sep 8, 2004.

1. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    This is not even close to an all encompassing list... heck, I could have added dozens of more recent comments, but this is a pretty good start...feel free to add more here (I challange anyone to draw a similiar list of what people have said about Kerry...)

"Their idea of equal rights is the American flag and Confederate swastika flying side by side."
    Julian Bond - NAACP Chairman (On the Republican Party)

"This is a racist and imperialist war. The warmongers who stole the White House have hijacked a nation's grief and turned it into a perpetual war on any non-white country they choose to describe as terrorist."
    Woody Harrelson

"The difference between Martin Sheen and George W. Bush is Martin Sheen is actually convincing when he acts like he's president."
    Paul Begala- Democratic strategist (CNN's "Crossfire," June 4, 2002)

"I would like to apologize for referring to George W. Bush as a "deserter." What I meant to say is that George W. Bush is a deserter, an election thief, a drunk driver, a WMD liar and a functional illiterate."
    Michael Moore

"Regime change! George Bush has to go and we have the power to do it. The officials of the government shall be removed from office for crimes and misdemeanor; their crime against peace, and for use of torture in Iraq."
    Ramsey Clark- former Democratic Attorney General (March 31, 2003)

"The problem is we elected a manager, and we need a leader. Let's face it: Bush is just dim."
    George Clooney

"George W Bush is like a bad comic working the crowd, a moron, if you'll pardon the expression."
    Martin Sheen

"We all need to take a deep breath and think about being a Bush daughter and having that cross to bear. I'd go out and have a couple of drinks too,"
    Julia Roberts

"Bin Laden didn't come from the abstract. He came from somewhere, and if you look where ... you'll see America's hand of villainy."
    Harry Belafonte

Republicans want smaller government for the same reason crooks want fewer
    cops: it's easier to get away with murder.
    -- James Carville

"I have been humiliated by being associated with this fraud who pretends to be our president, violates world conventions and reneges upon commonly accepted treaties and policies of human dignity." --Michael D. Rectenwald, May 18, 2004

"I come from Florida where you and others participated in what I call the United States coup d'état. We need to make sure that it does not happen again. Over and over again, after the election, when you stole the election, you came back here and said get over it." --Rep. Corrine Brown (D-Fla.), July 15, 2004, statement to House floor, later stricken from the record

"I mean it is a dictatorship." --Gore Vidal, in an interview with Monica Attard, ABC [Australian Broadcasting Corporation] Current Affairs Special, referring to the Bush regime, December 24, 2003 Link

"Bush himself is the most incompetent and dangerous President [sic] in living memory." --Prominent opposition Labor MP in Australia, Mark Latham, telling parliament the world could not trust the American dictator.

"The nakedness of the power grab [in Iraq] is indeed an extension of the naked grab for power that has characterized the Bush regime since the original coup in 2000. The new W-ar of imperialism calls for a new resolve of resistance." --Michael Rectenwald

"Bush is repellent, a hawk who was a coward, leader of the most corrupt administration since the Twenties. He’s not a legitimate President," --Ken Livingstone, May 8, 2003

"I agree with Dead Prez: We need a revolution!" --the Honorable Cynthia McKinney, Harlem, July 31, 2003

"Finally, a candidate who can explain the Bush administration's positions on civil liberties in the original German." --Bill Maher, on Schwarzenegger running for Governor

"President [sic] Bush is supporting Arnold. But a lot of Republicans are not because he is actually quite liberal. Karl Rove said if his father wasn't a Nazi, he wouldn't have any credibility with conservatives at all." --Bill Maher

I actually think that Bush is the greatest threat to life on this planet that we've most probably ever seen. The policies he is initiating will doom us to extinction." Explaining why he was holding a party for opponents of the Dictator, Mr Livingstone said: "I don’t formally recognise George Bush because he was not officially elected." --Ken Livingstone, Mayor of London, commenting on Dictator Bush's UK visit in The Ecologist magazine, November 17, 2003

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Free rep to the first person who finds out from which website USAsoccer's post was cut/pasted.

3. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I think you finally need to get a new team to support.

4. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Now this is just patently unfair. The distinction between managers and leaders is supposed to show the difference in activities and skillsets, not to place one as "better" than another. There are some very competent managers, after all.

6. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    It came from three places....

And a hint...it was from two Democratic and one conservative website...

And I'll add rep points as well... :D

7. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "We are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our tradition in the spirit of our ancestors. You have our gratitude."

8. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    Bingo...

But there are two democratic websites that are still out there!!!!!

9. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cripes. It was the first hit on my google search.

http://boycottliberalism.com/uninspiring.htm

10. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I'm still trying to figure out what the point of this post is. Is it to enrage InTheNet or are you just looking give most bigsoccer posters new auto sig material??

11. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
  12. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    Both! :D

13. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Absolutely. There are some real gems on this site that didn't make the original post:

"Globalization, as defined by rich people like us, is a very nice thing... you are talking about the Internet, you are talking about cell phones, you are talking about computers. This doesn't affect two-thirds of the people of the world."
    Jimmy Carter

"A nation that continues, year after year, to spend more money on defense than social programs is nearing spiritual death,"
    Danny Glover

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. 15 minutes too late.

15. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Who is Michael Rectenwald? So many crackpots out there, I can't keep track of them any more.

16. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two words: explosive diarrhea

17. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this one.

"Did I expect George Bush to f--- it up as badly as he did? I don't think anybody did."
    John Kerry- Democratic Senator Massachusetts

And this one...

"Drag a hundred-dollar bill through a trailer park, you never know what you'll find."
    James Carville (on Paula Jones sexual harassment allegation against Bill Clinton)

I love James Carville.

18. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    If only he could bottle this kind of direct message and put it actual use in an actual campaign. I'm thinking that maybe this statement didn't focus group well.

19. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carville is one funny m*therf%$#$er.

Kerry could use him for his campaign. Carville is a take no prisoners kinda campaigner, and knows how to win.

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would bump him up a couple of points in my eyes.

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

ditto

22. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    "By invading Iraq, the president has greatly undermined the war on terror."
    - Richard Clarke

23. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is MLK, and Glover attributes it so. Maybe "boycottliberalism.com," whatever that means doesn't know themselves the origin of the statement.

A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death. ~Martin Luther King, Jr., Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community?, 1967

24. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is much more comprehensive - and eloquent - account of what Woody thinks, written and spoken by Harrelson himself...

25. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    not that it matters but when you look at the names most of these quotes are attached to who cares?

i did have a good laugh at the woody harrelson bit though, that guy still matters to people?