What shoes?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by intechpc, Oct 12, 2006.

1. jacoismyhero

jacoismyhero New Member

Mar 11, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    OSI changed the material that they make their shirts out of, I think. I bought most of my shirts and shorts prior to this spring, and I noticed that all of the uniform pieces my friends have bought have had that same snagging problem (shirts and shorts), whereas mine do not. I'd call OSI and at least ask about it.

2. Tarheel Ref

Tarheel Ref New Member

May 3, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Chris & Jaco...

Thanks for the info. Yeah snagging/little thread looooops coming out like it's some cheap-ass crap I bought on ebay (no offense to ebay buyers or good sellers intended).

The good performance from their Diadoras will serve as a counterbalance to these issues....somewhat.

Thanks, guys

3. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    Running Shoes?

Well, I tried using all black running shoes to get more cushion for my poor knees and lower back. Was was very pleased until last weekend in a Super Y. My ASICS GT-2120 LE's had a blowout. Right pinky toe blew out of the mesh area, and given it is just mesh, it only took 5 minutes to have the tear grow to the point it affected my running and sprints.

Used them by mistake last night on a line, and I think I figured out the issue.

The aggressive lateral (side-to-side) motions I put the shoe through as an AR REALLY push and strain the side and side-front of the shoe. This is NOT what ASIC's engineers had in mind when designing the running shoe.

I bought the shoes in November, so not happy with how long this $94 :mad: pair lasted. Other than that, I was happy with them.

Just bought some ADIDAS Response Trail running shoes (http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7327588/c/104579.html) that look more rugged to give running shoes one more chance.

Thoughts/experiences on running shoes vs proper soccer turf shoes?

The Adidas Mundal Team turf hurts my little toe! http://www.shopadidas.com/product/i...3.2012802&view=all&parentPage=family&colorId=

4. jacoismyhero

jacoismyhero New Member

Mar 11, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Re: Running Shoes?

I had the same problem with Mundial Teams. I like them, and they're comfy as all get out, but once I start the side to side stuff, my toes get crammed in the end. Oddly enough, my Copas (molded cleat) have no problems like that. I use them with real soft ground, so you'd think it would be harder on the feet, but no problems.

I have a pair of Asics running shoes, and aside from the fact that they've gotten the nickname "elf shoes" due to the weird curl on the end of the toe, they work just fine for most firm ground surfaces.

5. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    Re: Running Shoes?

Why not try to return them to the store or to Asics?

6. Citiref

Citiref New Member

Oct 16, 2004
    I'm in need of new turf shoes since my pair of Mundial Teams have seen better days. So after browsing, I've narrowed it down to the following three:
    http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/prod...br--61967/sku--17011901/id--54428/mvp--sport/
    http://www.shopadidas.com/product/i...09.2039613.2012802&parentPage=family&colorId=
    http://www.shopadidas.com/product/i...27.2039609.2012802&parentPage=family&colorId=

Anybody have any experience with the above? I'm leaning towards the Puma King, but have always been pleased with adidas.

7. OhRef

OhRef Member

May 22, 2006
    I have just changed from Asics 2110 to New Balance 858. The 858 is much more comfortable than the Asics and has better support. This is a running shoe and is very light to wear.
    http://www.nbnorthshore.com/new-balance-MR858BK/

The link is posted for the picture. I found them locally for about 10% less than the internet price

8. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    On the subject of shoes, does anyone else have the same problem as I do, where my shoes (Diadora) smell like a sewage plant? Anyone have this problem and what are your solutions to it? I've done the freezing thing, which helps but the problem is back after one new game.

9. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    I purchased the Telstar TRX TF's, wore them once, didn't like the fit at all. Very loose fitting and cheap feel.

The first Adidas shoes I have not loved.

Skip these.

10. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I use to wear a pair of nikes and they were great. Didn't even smell (well to much).
    spent 2 straight days in warm raining weather and from that moment on they were brutal on the smell. Even after they dried. Any spray I used would work, til I wore them again.

ended up tossing them (theywere pretty worn out anyway)

11. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    My current go to shoe is adidas Running Response Trail 14 I got from Zappos.com. I don't see them listed there anymore, but other sites have them.

12. bigsquirrel

bigsquirrel Member

May 29, 2007
    Pimphis
    My best friend, who refs rec, HS, and College, regionally, always carries three different shoes with him. For hard ground, he usually wear Adidas Climacools (like these, but a newer model that are mostly black with some gray). For field turf (which we have quite a bit of) he wears Adidas Copa turfs (like these). Lastly, for the slop he usually has to ref in, he won't wear anything but old school Copa's. (these, exactly).

I think some of his problem is OCD, but he's never had any problems with them, and he's been doing it since I met him in 1992. Reffing that is. He's always worn the copas, and just started the Climacools a few years when they first came out.

13. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Until I found (through this board) the Adidas Falcon, I wore Puma Kings. I still have my pair and rotate them in every so often to keep my Falcons from undergoing extreme wear and tear. As I haven't been able to get a pair of Falcons for some time now (not available on my sites anymore), I would have no problem going back to the King All-arounds.

14. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Anyone have advice for the ladies regarding shoes? :)

15. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heels make the gams look nice but you are apt to twist an ankle -- ba-da-dum!

Seriously, my daughter uses the Diadora ref shoe and likes it except when it is wet.

16. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    My daughter uses all black Adidas Running shoe, and her Diadora cleats when it is sloppy.

I (we) have tried NB, ASICS, Nike, but have allways come back to Adidas cleats or running/trail shoes in the end.

In the end, depends on your foot structure and how much cushion you are looking for.

17. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I've actually been wearing Asics for regular workout shoes, and LOVE them (they give me the best arch support I've found), so I'm hoping to find something there. If not, I'll have to check out the others. Thanks for the suggestions.

18. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    Asics offers the Gel 2120 ($95 or so regular price) in black. I know a female ref who wears them for some of her games and she didn't have any bad things to say. I wouldn't pay $95 for a pair of shoes, but that's just me.

19. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    I tried the Asics Gel 2120 All Black running shoe. Loved them, BUT...
    After only 15 centers and 27 as AR, the mesh on the side of the shoe failed (midgame as a middle for a SuperY game of course...) and my little toe came poking out.

I think what did them in was the 27 games as AR. Running shoes are simply not built for the lateral movement and stress.

I'll keep my eye on ASICS, but for now, they are too weak for me to spend another $94.

Note: The all leather ASCIS 2120 LE all black are my go to shoes wet/cold. No problems or issues with them.

20. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I've actually paid over $100 for good shoes, so it's not a problem - just have to put it into the budget.

Thanks! Since I have a couple of months to get all my equipment it won't hurt quite so much.

21. Soccerref13

Soccerref13 New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    I'm still looking for a decent pair of turf shoes. I really didn't want to shell out close to $100 for a pair since I wear down shoes fairly quickly. Other then the Adidas falcon, any other recommendations for turf shoes? Thanks

22. gosellit

gosellit BigSoccer Supporter

May 10, 2005
  23. NJLaw5

NJLaw5 New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've tried the turf shoes and they kill my feet. They are made for players, not referees. I stumbled onto Spot Bilt Grid Studs some time ago. Check them out here: http://www.spotbilt.com/productDetail.aspx?ProductId=605
    They are relatively inexpensive, last a long time and feel like a decent running shoe. Also, they are completely black and shine up nice. :D

24. stpaul

stpaul New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Anfield pitch
    I'm retired from reffing - when I did referee I had a pair of Adidias Copas with the molded cleats. I particularly liked these when doing lines (a.k.a. AR). The cleats prevented me from slipping to doing a split when moving laterally. I usually wore these on softer fields when I did the center. I also had a pair of Umbros for hard ground. In both cases, the kangaroo leather upgrade is well worth the price. Another suggestion, as I got older I found that lace up ankle supports were well worth the cost and time to put on.

On a related note; many referees I've seen, even at D1 could get buy with a pair of Cole-Haan Branagos because they never get more than 20 yards from mid-field. Some could use a chair more than good shoes.

25. Tarheel Ref

Tarheel Ref New Member

May 3, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    :D Funny because it's true.