What Polling Got Wrong.

Discussion in 'Elections' started by American Brummie, Nov 12, 2016.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Univision has an article on perhaps why there are some differences in the regular exit poll and the Latino decisions poll.

I think that is very important, Latinos/Hispanics that only speak English and do not have friends or Family that are immigrants, tend to vote more Republican than those of us that do have immigrant family and use Spanish in our lives.

Latino decisions underestimates those Hispanics, now perhaps it is because they want o capture more of the Latino community that still in touch with "Latinoness" over those that have become more assimilated.

http://www.univision.com/univision-news/politics/so-how-did-latinos-actually-vote-quien-sabe

The Franchise and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the tipping point state? And what was Trump's percentage margin in that state?

It appears that Hillary will win the PV by a point and a half. I'm curious how bad the disconnect between PV and EV could have been.

2000 was essentially a tie in both. That's not what happened in 2016.

3. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clinton ran up the margins in New York, California, Washington, and Illinois. Her vote in those four states is 16,466,706 and Trump's was 9,968,546. That's a margin of 6.5 million votes. Or, in other words, her margin is almost double the combined vote totals of the Trump-carried states of:

Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, not that I want to assign homework to you AB, but compared to Obama, is there a big difference?

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not what I was asking. What was the state that Trump over 270, and what was his percentage win there? Let's say he won that state by 1.5%. That means Hillary could have won the PV by 2.9% (or so) and lost the EC.

One of the effects of Trump is that his election is such a humongous story that nobody is talking about the PV/EC split, or hardly anyone. At least compared to what we'd be seeing (IMHO) if Kasich had been the winner in the same manner as Trump.

6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the spreadsheet, turnout was up in 3/4 states (California still has many more votes to be counted) and except for New York each state moved more Democratic. And those smaller states had higher turnout and moved more Republican. I'm not willing to make any judgments on the election until all the votes from all the states are in, but it appears that Clinton did a very good job getting out the vote in New York City, LA, Chicago, Seattle, and San Francisco.

7. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His tipping-point state is Pennsylvania, which he won by 1%. If Clinton is on par to win the popular vote by 2%, then she would have needed a 3% popular-vote win to pull Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania to blue.

superdave repped this.
  8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Here is some interesting info regarding this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2016

States where the margin of victory was under 1% (50 electoral votes; 46 won by Trump, 4 by Clinton):

1. Michigan, 0.27%
    2. New Hampshire, 0.37%
    3. Wisconsin, 0.81%
    4. Pennsylvania, 0.96%
    That is barely 100k votes, or about .157% of her total. Hillary just got the votes in the wrong places, sort off.

luftmensch repped this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @American Brummie can you translate this to English for me.

The economist does agree with you, that Republicans are dying off, but Trump did find a new batch of dying voters to get elected.

https://www.economist.com/news/unit...es-predict-trumpward-swings-illness-indicator

10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't need me to translate it, you read it and reached the same conclusion I did.

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Unsurprisingly, the single best predictor identified so far of the change from 2012 to 2016 in the share of each county’s eligible voters that voted Republican—in other words, the swing from Mitt Romney to Mr Trump—is the percentage of potential voters who are non-college whites."

If a county had more non-college whites that never voted, the more likely Trump got more votes in that county?

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #87 ceezmad, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    @American Brummie you may be interested on this, how Jared Kushner won Trump the presidency.

American Brummie repped this.
  13. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting read.

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Which makes me wonder how many voters polled who responded that they would definitely vote, found that they had been purged from the voter rolls in those key states? IOW is the MOE here not really a polling error but more of a respondents' November surprise?

Supposedly there were something like a half million purged from the Wisconsin rolls that no one was really sure weren't valid and present voters-- what happened to those who were? Did they file provisionals, and if so were they counted? Or were they just turned away, and went home and ate their livers with some fava beans and a nice chianti?

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is fascinating. It's a representation of counties by their economy. (Keep in mind that it's based on where people WORK not where they LIVE.) Red=Trump, blue=Hillary

[​IMG]

http://www.vox.com/new-money/2016/11/23/13715276/clinton-trump-booming-economy

The article goes on to say that Gore won counties with 54% of the economy, Hillary won 64%. That seems like a very, very significant change in 16 years. (Hillary is running about a point better than Gore, so all else being equal, his 54% would be her 55%.)

Also, of the approximately 3000 counties in the US, Gore won 659. Hillary won 493. So you don't have to do the math, she won 75% of the number of counties Gore won, but she's doing ever-so-slightly better.

Here's a very, very interesting graphic

[​IMG]

In the Clinton recovery, rural areas did quite well. (NAFTA and farm export related?) In the Bush recovery, really small population areas did poorly, the rest are a mixed bag. But in the Obama recovery! Oh my word.

For those of you who want to make the "it's the economy, stupid" case, here are the arrows for your quiver.

The Franchise, Boloni86 and dapip repped this.
  17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are a party of just the populated urban centers, that is our bubble.

Anyone outside large cities is a racist for not thinking like we do.

I know very simplistic on my part, but how can the DNC at is current form listen and engage some of those rural "deplorables" ?

Edit: by we I mean you, I am supposed to be green party :whistling:

The Franchise repped this.
  18. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Ironically those graphs suggest that if Democrats just stay patient, eventually they can win just on the backs of these big urban centers. And not just the coastal cities like LA and NY. Those numbers show why Clinton performed well in Texas and Georgia ... mostly thanks to Houston metro, Dallas metro and Atlanta metro. Phoenix metro looks like the last major urban stronghold for GOP, and its days are probably numbered. The long term trend still doesn't look good for GOP. In many ways you can interpret this election as the last major white working class revolt. These small red counties in the Midwest are depopulating and will not be able to carry elections in the future. It'll be interesting to see what Dems do in the future. The math implies that they'll be fine in the long run if they double down on the diverse urban vote. Whether that's a moral or ethical thing to do is unclear. I still prefer a 50 state strategy where everyone has a stake, but who knows if that's really possible in this hyper polarized environment.

19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It is a very good and sound argument, if you ignore who they have just elected to steer the economy. In the same page as the article you posted, you can find this other piece:

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/22/13641654/paul-ryan-trump-poverty-safety-net

I’ve been working on these issues since 1972,” Robert Greenstein, the founder and president of the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities and Washington’s leading advocate for poor and low-income Americans, says. “This is by far the gravest threat to the safety net, and to low-income people, that I’ve seen in my close to half a century of working on these issues. I think there’s a potential in the first seven months, by the August recess, for Congress to pass policies that do more to increase poverty and hardship and widen inequality than we’ve seen in half a century.”

Ryan’s proposals would repudiate the federal government’s 50-year guarantee of medical care and food to America’s poorest residents, a promise generated by Lyndon B. Johnson when he made food stamps permanent in 1964 and created Medicaid in 1965. The expectation has not always been met, especially for childless adults, whom Medicaid largely did not cover until the Affordable Care Act, and whom non-expansion states still don’t offer coverage to. But for the poorest families with children, those two programs were there, providing at least modest assistance in desperate times.

If Paul Ryan and his allies in the House enact their domestic agenda, this promise will fall apart. The Affordable Care Act will be repealed, but the damage will hardly end there. Medicaid will see its funding gutted, federal guarantees of coverage and access removed, and its status as an entitlement upon which poor Americans can depend destroyed. The Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP, or “food stamps”) will be slashed and turned over to states, which will likely use the money as a slush fund for other endeavors.

Why do poor and middle class working people keep voting for politicians that basically want them to have to respite? Yeah, messaging is part of the equation, but you know there are other elements..

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

The bolded assumes that districts won't be shaped to be, ummm, favorably disposed to such depopulating areas at the expense of urban centers

21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In my not particularly urban bubble I have regular contact (as in, exchanging words if not actually conversing in person, face to face) with Catholics, Muslims, Jews, atheists and protestants, as well as nones. Mostly heterosexual, but some gay and lesbian folks, and one guy I've worked with in the padt has a son who is likely going to go transgendered in the future. Mostly white people, but also African American, Indian, Pakistani, various asian and various middle eastern and even, if I keep my class a bit long, a Kurdish guy who teaches the class after mine. Most of these people don't care what I do on my own time, and I return the favor. In this group, there are two people I know for a fact voted for Trump. Probably more.

Outside large cities, though, at least the part where I grew up, it's not like this. In fact, that is where people live in bubbles where they rarely encounter anyone different from them. Throw a steady stream of pre-selected social media news streams ... and you have people who aren't that good at dealing with a diverse population. Though to be fair, they ARE better at it than the average Saudi I've ever had to work with.

dapip repped this.
  22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    As it turns out, the national polls were spot on.

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing this in a larger context, this is interesting, having worked the polls. There were quite a few people who had voted in the last Presidential election, but it appears that people who did not vote in any of the non-Presidential elections since then were purged, and had to re-register.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ays-voter-id-law-hurt-citys-turnout/93607154/

The city saw a decline of some 41,000 voters in Tuesday's election compared with 2012, when President Barack Obama won broad support in Milwaukee and coasted to re-election.

"We saw some of the greatest declines were in the districts we projected would have the most trouble with voter ID requirements," said Neil Albrecht, executive director of the city's Election Commission.

Reminder, Trump won Wisconsin by 27,000.

But [Albrecht] said that four districts of the city with the most "transient, high poverty" residents experienced trouble with people struggling to meet the photo identification requirement. Previously, those voters were able to have "corroborating witnesses" vouch for them at the polls.

Albrecht also mentions other issues like college students and spouses.

And then...

Wisconsin’s voter ID law requires the state to give people free IDs for voting.

In ruling on a lawsuit brought by One Wisconsin Institute and Citizen Action of Wisconsin Education Fund, U.S. District Judge James Peterson in July found the state’s process for providing IDs to people who don’t have birth certificates violates voting rights. To fix it, the state has made changes by saying it would promptly provide temporary voting credentials to anyone who seeks them.

There were several stories leading up to election day and even on election day which talked about how the DMV employees did not understand how to provide this ID. IIRC, one guy was taken to the polls by some organization like the NAACP or similar, told he needed to get the ID at the DMV, went to the DMV without the birth certificate (or something) and was turned away (wrongly), went to look for his birth certificate and found it, returned to the DMV, processed the information, but was told it would be 10 days to get the ID and got a print out instead. Took that to the polling place and was told it was not accepted (which is incorrect - it actually states in the material this is accepted). The organization helping this guy pointed out the incorrect information and he was finally able to vote. This process took 6 to 8 hours with assistance. Imagine people who don't have the assistance.

(Please note, I did not look up the story, so some of the details may be off, but the news on election day did run a story similar to the above.)

I post this here because I don't think this group is one that would have been accounted for in enough hypothetical numbers in any of the pre-election polling data.

24. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Not really

This is entry level stuff

great that Kushner grabs the credit for himself - but actually they hired in a bunch of marketing shops

25. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There is loads of bullshit here as it doesn't jive with what was previously published

they got in a bunch of marketing shops, gave them budget each and then retained the ones who got best ROI

also TWD is one of the most popular shows on television - the idea that it was marketing genius to select that show is silly.

someone is building their own mythology

Dr. Wankler repped this.