What next for Omar Gonzalez

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Sandon Mibut, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I was very surprised as well. I hope he isn't pushing that knee too hard too soon!

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Dude, your wife's hot.

3. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    She likes Real (thats her dog with hat on, her hat too), Man U, and LA.....Total frontrunner. Pisses me off to no end. :cautious:

You know you married well when your wife makes you get direct kick and will watch games in Spanish with you (neither of us speak a word of it).

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Don't tell Simon Borg.

5. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I'm not sure she finds the hipster-doofus look attractive anyway, so it's probably a two way street. If he wants to pay for my 4 kids and mortgage, he's welcome to give it a shot though.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Fanatical Monk repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    With so much changing for the Galaxy this off-season, it'll be interesting to see if they let Gonzalez go.

We all saw the difference in the Galaxy from the 1st half of the season without Omar..............to the 2nd half of the season with Omar.

That would be a tough call. It's not like the Gals need the money from the transfer. They may decide that another year of Omar is worth more to them than the transfer fee.

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    That's a pretty selfish line of reasoning! :mad:

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it's not. Might be the best thing for Omar- to show he can stay healthy and play consistently. Might really increase his value and, therefore, be a good investment by him.

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Might be, but I doubt it. He should have gone last year (derailed by his injury - Chandler! :mad:) and he should go now - assuming (as I do) an appropriate level of interest.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good to hear a loan isn't an option and that LAG might be willing to sell. I'm interested to know if teams abroad are hovering given that he's still on the road to recovery. He certainly looks 100% healthy but from personal experience, it took another 6-9 months to fully trust the knee. I just can't wait to see Omar hit his peak. I think MLS Cup was just a tip of the iceberg.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's not really "selfish" for a club to keep a player on their books that they actually have under contract. They don't have to sell.

It all depends on Omar really. If Omar is happy to stay another year....................then LA will probably keep him another year. Then they'll let him go on a free after next season. They'll lose out on any transfer fee, but having Omar for a season could be worth more than the transfer fee.

With Beckham gone, and Donovan possible gone......................one might think Omar Gonzalez could be their captain next season. If the Galaxy have an ambition in the CCL next season, for instance, holding on to Gonzalez may be seen as a top priority.

13. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he does well wherever he goes, but I am not as optimistic as you are about his upside potential. I always thought that even before his injury, he was not quite fast enough to play at the top, top level. Not to say that he couldn't succeed, but I feel he will have the most success being paired with a quicker, faster CB to cover for his lack of pace while he can dominate in the air. I guess that's a long way of saying that his success might depend a bit more on the players around him and the system that he is in rather than his individual ability.

14. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Omar on a free next winter is probably going to get a better club and better deal for himself than Omar on a transfer this winter. Either way, stay healthy big man. We need ya.

15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think MLS is a charity? Why would you not expect them to be self interested? If a third party offers the Galaxy more money than they deem one more year of Gonzo to be worth, they will let him go, just like any other club would operate.

Mr Martin repped this.
  16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I totally agree. But that's not out of the ordinary. 90% of the players around the world fall into this categotry. The remaining 10% are superstars and can walk into any team / system and shine right off the bat.

17. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just agree to agree and move on. :)

18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Hmm, you can bet Moyes has talked to Donovan about Gonzo. I wouldn't mind seeing him at Everton. They are a perfect club for him. Playing time will be assured, but at the right pace. If he does well he will have options further up the chain. Distin isnt getting any younger.

Crimen y Castigo repped this.
  19. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potentially more than a year of experience leading up to 2014 working in front of Tim Howard facing the EPL's top strikers ?

Yes, please.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  20. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that with so much drama at the HDC, it's kind of hard making plans for the Omar G?

chitrader, mike4066, Real Corona and 2 others repped this.
  21. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there any rumors of potential destinations?

I think Omar is a better player than guys like Cameron and definitely Goodson.

22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Cameron-Gonzalez comparison is definitely interesting. Omar was generally regarded as a better player than Cameron (or at the very least equal to). Cameron's successful start to his EPL career may provide a point of reference for Gonzo...although it may actually prove that Cameron's all around game may take him farther than Gonzo's arguably superior physical tools.

23. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they are very different players. Gonzo better as a traditional centerback. Cameron, imo, a better athlete and much better on the ball and clearly more versatile, able to play competently in a CM role or right back.

24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so sure about Cameron being a better athlete- he certainly doesn't have the jumping ability or strength that Gonzo does. I'd concede that Cameron is faster, although he's no speedster himself.

25. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will probably leave next summer.