What Nationwide Club Should I Support?

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by house18, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Ipswichfan4life

Ipswichfan4life New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Ipswich, Suffolk
    I guess the reason I like Norwich is they seem like a team that belongs in the Premiership but has had a few off years. They remind me of I dunno somebody like the Penn State Nittany Lions or The Notre Dame Fighting Irish. They belong in the top group but are just going through a down period. The are a big-timer historically, but need to get back up to the top.[/QUOTE]

The standard of the premier league must be pretty dreadful then if you think Noriwch belong there!

2. uberhorn

uberhorn New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I was wondering how long it would take for ya to take a shot :D

3. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Honestly with my schedule of coaching college soccer, going back to school and working on the side to make some extra money and wanting to spend time with my wife of just over one year (just spent the last month away working camps) it is almost impossible for me to train with the local team so I figured I'd find a team outside the USA with nice kits who would take someone in the States as a member and so far Ipswich has been the perfect choice!

4. DesWalker

DesWalker New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Sheffield Wednesday....under Paul Sturrock back in the prem within 2 years.

House did you work the Navy Womens camp?

5. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tranmere Rovers!

6. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO

Yes, I did! If you are who I think you are (actually I know who you are!) send me a private message on here.

7. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Bumped because this thread has become my big soccer claim to fame due to how long it has lasted considering what the topic was.

8. Scooterb25

Scooterb25 New Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Chicago
    LEEDS UNITED

MARCHING ON TOGETHER!

A big fish in a small nationwide pond!

9. CPFC-DIEHARD

CPFC-DIEHARD New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    South London
    Crystal Palace!

EAGLES!!! :D

10. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a fellow yank, let me offer this advice. I did a lot of looking into my family history for a project in college and found that they mostly came from Lincolnshire, England. So, when looking for a lower division club to support I chose Lincoln City because of the family connection. If any of your family comes from England, that might be a way to find a club. Just a thought.

11. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    I think I understand how you could feel that way. But I'm confused as to how all English fans of English clubs have a real connection with their club. Like what special connection do ManU fans in London have to the club? Or even the ones in Manchester?

12. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    As far as most London based Man U fans are concerned, I'm as perplexed as you, although some may have family roots in the north west. For most of us we support certain teams because of a mixture of local pride and the fact that it is the team our dad took us to see at the age of six.
    Ofcourse in recent years, especially with the top clubs, the local pride thing has become a lot more tenuous as teams have filled up with overseas players or players from different areas of the country, meaning that local players have been more likely to play for clubs from other places.

13. The Luton

The Luton New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Luton, England
    Luton, we aren't a massive club butwe are the true underdogs and we are currently lying 4th after a loss to Sheffield United. W=If you are a true supporter you would love our ground and anyone who goes there hates it and we don't care. Our kit is made by diadora and is and is white at home andblack away. our website is www.lutontown.co.uk or the fans one is www.lutonfc.com

14. AmericanJack

AmericanJack New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Support Swansea, its the obvious choice! The ups and downs are tremendous...suffering near extinction a few years back, nearly relegated to the conference to boot and only a win by two goals or more against a promotion chasing Hull would keep the club alive. Final result of that game, Swansea 4-2 Hull in a season that should soon be forgot...fast forward a few years later to the present...

We are now 2nd in League 1 (Division 2 or 3 or whatever they are calling it now...lol) with top league scorer Lee Trundle leading the way, and playing with more finess than I have seen for a long time.

However...

This being Swansea, don't doubt that we could either be living the high life in the Premiership in a few years, or relegated to the Conference or lower in a few years...such is the life of a Swansea fan.

15. Tvos

Tvos New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Caboolture,Qld,Aust
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Try the mighty men of Rochdale. We have been in the basement league for over 30 years, and up until this season showed no inclination to get out, except through the bottom. Things are looking better, sitting 4th and playing well, how long will it last. Forget Stockport, currently sitting 2nd bottom, and not looking very good.
    Dispel the doubters, you can follow a team from anywhere. I've been a passionate Dale man for over 30 years, even though I'm 25,000 miles away.

16. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    The Peak District, England
    :confused: 25,000 miles? :confused: You only make it to away games then I assume? ;)

Good luck for the rest of the season. Rochdale have got to be due some luck by now!!

17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You know, if you turn in the other direction you're only a thousand miles away. just a thought. ;)

18. Lurchador

Lurchador New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yeah at the start of the season I had Rochdale pegged for relegation this year, but good on 'em for challenging for promotion. I have a real soft spot for the smaller unheralded clubs so I hope they do go up. Cheers!

19. metrostars1969

metrostars1969 New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    Since you are looking for a new club to root for, how about picking a brand new club - Football Club United of Manchester!!!!!!!!!!!

Soon to be promoted to the NWCFL Division 1!!!!

20. no prawns ere

no prawns ere Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Manchester
    i agree nice one metro. fc united of manchester
    our club our rules
    £7 adults
    £2 kids

21. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    Caaahdiff!

22. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Reading. They'll spend their first ever season in they'll top tier (Premiersip)next year and you watch them on T.V. in the U.S. It will be exciting for them.

Good place to look up teams historical league status.
    http://stats.football365.com/

23. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I ended up choosing my team many years ago pretty much based on the name. They were in the Premiership at the time mind.

24. Chas (Psyatika)

Oct 6, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    That said, you shouldn't choose your team based on the opinions of others :)

As Martin Luther said, you must develop a personal relationship with your club. I think he was talking about football anyway...

25. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    he was rangers, if i recall.