What is the problem with Canada?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 11, 2016.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Are there currently any strong, uncommitted CB candidates?

2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1677 ChuckMe92, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    I have a ton of hopes for Canada's attacking crew but the CB group just doesn't look good now and for the future. Guys playing (or, not playing) for low-level European clubs who are already past their teens. Tomori and Legault might be the ideal duo of the future, but Tomori still has to switch, and one can't count on a ho-hum U-17 academy player to be a savior, certainly not anytime soon.

The US CB group is not good compared to that of top nations, but they do have CBs age 25 and under who are currently starting in the Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Championship, and Eredivisie, and although two were raised abroad, the other two are fully US products at academy level. Then three additional CBs age 21 and under who are rated among the better starting CBs in MLS and could well go to Europe. Even Tim Parker put in a strong performance to help the US draw France at Lyon in June, and he's "just" 25. That's unequivocally an excellent group by CONCACAF standards, one that Canada would hope to emulate, and I don't see how Canada will have anything close to that at the position, even if they match or surpass the US in the attack. Fullback is a concern as well, as I don't see much in terms of promising international-caliber potential outside of ZBG. Maybe try out one of the wingers to put the most talent on the pitch as possible?

3. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    25 year old Ricardo Ferriera plays for Braga as a CB in Portugal. He has one senior cap for Portugal from a 1-1 friendly draw with the USA in Nov 2017.

Ferriera is from Toronto, played for TFCs academy and left Canada at age 15.

Fikayo Tomori was born in Canada but raised in the U.K. He played for Canada at the u20 level but left when England called him up to their u21 team. It will be several years (in my opinion) until Tomori considers Canada again as he is a highly rated Chelsea prospect and will want to try to crack the English senior squad someday.

That's it, sadly.

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Some of us thinks that John Herdman might improvise and ask Atiba Hutchinson to play CB while Samuel Piette takes his place as DM.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #1680 Robert Borden, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018

6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would he still be eligible for a one time switch? I thought the senior cap would tie him to Portugal?

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He played for Portugal in a friendly. He's eligible to switch.

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Friendly caps don't fully cap-tie if you were eligible to compete for another nation prior to playing in the friendly. Think Jermaine Jones; played 3 times for Germany, all friendlies, but because he was eligible to play for the US from birth, he could file a one-time switch.

By contrast, if Diego Valeri got US citizenship tomorrow, he wouldn't be eligible for a one-time switch because he wasn't US-eligible when he played in 3 friendlies for Argentina.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Interview with Liam Millar
    At the 2:30 mark, he reveals that before moving to England after being scouted by Fulham, he had a trial with Toronto FC and he was released because they thought he was too small.

What's wrong with Canada? One of the issues is our questionable developmental record by our 3 MLS academies. Our Canadian non-MLS academies have done a better job up until now so far.
    David-Ottawa
    Larin-Mississauga
    Millar-Mississauga
    Davies-Edmonton
    Tabla-Sport Etude-Quebec & Local club (Left Montreal Impact Academy within a year to join a local youth club. Was doing so well that Impact signed him afterwards (2 years later).

Soccer journalists in Quebec are crediting Barcelona B for elevating his play and pointed out that Montreal had no clue what to do with him.)

10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Another goal for Cavallini. The Canadian striker is now in the top 10 for goal scorer in Liga MX

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    4 in 11 for the season. 16 in 36 overall. That's pretty damn good.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  12. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    He is 10x more valuable than Cyle Larin for Canada.

He is a fighter. He uses his body, he mixes it up, he gets dirty.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm quite jealous you guys have him. The US def needs a talent like him right now. A few years and we should be set, but right now; we're weak up front.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd rather have Jozy than a guy who said he regrets being cap-tied to Canada and whose only international goals came against the US...Virgin Islands.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You got a point. But I'd also prefer a guy scoring quality goals against top sides in the Mexican league.

16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jozy's already done it in an (IMO) better league. Any further talk of this is going to dive headlong into a "which league is better, Liga MX or Eredivisie?" which no one wants to get into.

Point is, I'd like to see Cavallini produce similarly in a stronger league before I start getting jealous. His goalscoring rate in the Uruguayan league wasn't great and he's fallen off to a goal every 248 minutes in the Apertura, which is a far cry from his 1 per 177 minutes in 2017-18.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Yeah but that's in the past. What is Jozy doing for us right now? Besides I'm complimenting Cavallini. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I'm unaware of any Canadian players who are scoring at a solid rate in a solid top division. And if Larin does well for Besiktas; then they're excellent up top. Assuming those 2 can find the right rhythm together.

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    CONCACAF Nation League qualifiers:
    CANADA vs DOMINICA

1- GK- Simon Thomas | NOR / Kongsvinger IL
    2- FB- Zachary Brault-Guillard | FRA / Olympique Lyonnais
    3- CB- Manjrekar James | DEN / FC Fredericia
    4- CB- Derek Cornelius | SRB / FK Javor Ivanjica
    5- CB- David Edgar | CAN / Ottawa Fury FC
    6- M- Samuel Piette | CAN / Impact de Montréal
    7- M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    8- M- Scott Arfield | SCO / Glasgow Rangers FC
    9- F- Cyle Larin | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
    10- M- David Junior Hoilett | WAL / Cardiff City FC
    11- F- Tosaint Ricketts | CAN / Toronto FC
    12- W- Alphonso Davies | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    13- M- Atiba Hutchinson | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
    14- W- Liam Millar | ENG / Liverpool FC U-23
    15- CB- Doneil Henry | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    16- M- Jay Chapman | CAN / Toronto FC
    17- FB- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC
    18- GK- James Pantemis | CAN / Impact de Montréal
    19- F- Lucas Cavallini | MEX / Puebla FC
    20- F- Jonathan David | BEL / KAA Gent
    21- M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
    22- GK- Alessandro Busti | ITA / Juventus FC U-23
    23- M- Ballou Jean-Yves Tabla | ESP / FC Barcelona B

Expected to be cap: Tabla, Busti & Brault-Guillard

Ger90 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    still think it's stupid to call up Atiba, what's the point of calling up someone who turns 36 this season? Time to move on and give someone else a chance. Who think Atiba will be here in 2022 as a 39 year old midfielder?

20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He can still play and dominate at his age in Turkish league. He's kind of a freak.

Also, he can play CB as well...I trust him more than the others if you ask me. His soccer IQ is off the chart

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Has he played at all for Besiktas this season?

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He did and those who watched the game said he was dominating at midfield. Samuel Piette can do his job now, so I would use Hutchinson as CB

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how many games this season though?

24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think 2 so far. There was still contract talks that delayed his arrival at the club and he just healed from an injury

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Gotcha. I was wondering why he wasn't mentioned a lot lately.