What is the problem with Canada?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    we agree

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No need to be sad. Since you're improvising yourself as an historian, allow me to reply in kind. The US weren't that much better until they qualified in 1990. Canada started to send a team to qualifiers only in 1958 and the US were unable to qualify ever since until 1990 nor reach the final round. Whenever they met to qualifier matches, it ended up being 6-2-2 for Canada. Canada was in the final round 3 times during that period, the US, none.

See how irrelevant it gets to go that far back? It's called cycles for a reason. US had their bad cycle, we're just getting out of ours and who the hell knows what's wrong with Netherlands. Let's not forget how far along Iceland has came. I don't dispute the last 15 years being bad, but it gets old when some posters assume that Canada was always like that without bothering to do some research.

Winning the 1985 tournament was good but winning the 2000 Gold Cup would be the highest point, beating both Mexico and Colombia back to back.

We think we're on the path to get in the hex for the 2022 campaign. See? CYCLES. I'm excited for when both Canada and US have great cycles at the same time. The Canadian Premier League will transform the landscape here drastically.

jagum repped this.
  3. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the 1980's Canada were better than the USA. Canada actually came very to close to making the 1982 World Cup in Spain.

jagum repped this.
  4. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Cycles? Like 50 year cycles? LOL.

5. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hmmm...you aren't good at maths are you? :whistling:

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I don't see the need to mock Canada nor the USA. We both have a lot of learning and changes to do. Better to work together.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I don't like the expansion to 48 teams in 2026, but will be nice to see both Canada and the US in the tournament together.

Skandal!!! repped this.
  8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First things first 1) we have to win the bid (here's hoping FIFA execs' greed will overcome their animosity toward the FBI) and 2) FIFA would then have to decide if all three of us qualify automatically. If not, I'd hope that we'd resolve it on the field, e.g. a NAFTA round-robin, 3rd place has to go through regular qualifying.

LouisianaViking07/09 and russ repped this.
  9. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see the need to magically suggest they are equals.

I see a USA-lite. A smaller version of the USA, with a rich, diverse population that by-and-large is consumed with other sports.

Doesn't mean that I see them as immediate competitors like Costa Rica, Mexico, Panama, or Honduras. Which doesn't mean they won't compete with the US for WC spots in the future. But so will Jamaica. And Trinidad. And Guatemala.

And we don't have a thread for each of those countries, do we? We don't have Guatemalans going "well, we're basically you, we're both not in the WC".

10. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #910 Robert Borden, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    You're clearly misunderstanding what he's saying

USA-lite? The more time passes, the less similarities both countries actually have. It's starting to look like night and day.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Stephen Antunes Eustáquio is a promising 21 year old Canadian prospect who's a midfielder at Leixoes S.C in Portugal 2nd Division. He helped shut down F.C Porto (1st Division)

On his way to the National Team if he keeps this up

VBCity72 repped this.
  12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Paul Calixte repped this.
  13. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Both are surprisingly similar: in Canada also most people into soccer are not rooting for the Canadian NT but for some other team (England, for the most part, with Ireland, Poland and Italy next).

Canada & the USA are children of England, football-wise. The system in both was structured by Englishmen, and both countries exist with their eyes fixated wistfully on Europe, forgetting this is a different continent.

Ignoring what's going on South of the border, Canada was left behind a long time ago. But the USA is catching up (down?).

Skandal!!! and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Germany is the team Canadians pull for. England have been shit for long enough for most casual Canadian fans to know they should switch to Germany

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    but why germany? why not Italy :p like many Americans on the East coast pull for

I'm gonna go unique and root on Poland

Skandal!!! repped this.
  17. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    I think immigrants in Canada generally support their ancestry teams. There are many Germans in Canada as well, so sure, they support Germany. On the other hand, there are many Philippinoes in Canada as well, but since Philippines are not very good at football, their may not even care so much about the sport (they care as far as betting goes, though...).

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i'd have imagined many of those Germans have integrated as well as the Germans in the USA. But I could be wrong.

I'd figure the Irish/Italian immigrants whether 2nd or 3rd would still root for the mother country. Poland as well.

19. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    Trust me, Germans are less integrated then Polish; nevertheless, I cannot imagine any Pole or German would actually root for Canada before Poland or Germany, be it in 2nd or 4th generation... Canada would be second choice, at best

20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Will make the National Team that much stronger and dangerous if he polish his game in Europe

21. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not kidding, most Canadians don't even know they have a national team.

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How would you know that from the US? ;)

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    is the state of soccer really flying that under the radar?

24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canadians actually are huge consumers of soccer, however, the national team haven't gave most of the non-hardcore fans a reason to follow the team. USSF leagues aren't big draw either but UEFA leagues are huge here.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    At least in the USA Donovan has bigger name recognition than Mia Hamm or Abby Wambach. In Canada, no male player comes close in name recognition to Christine Sinclair.