What is the problem with Canada?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Clover362

Clover362 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    Canada suffers from 1) not being soccer obsessed (they like hockey, as well as all the other american sports like football basketball and baseball), so they don't have a culture of soccer and 2) Climate. W

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada dreams of reaching the heady summit of the USA's worst World Cup campaign.

Wake me up when they get there.

Until then, I suppose baseless conjecture and random, extrapolated highlights will have to serve.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Master O repped this.
  3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's the arrogance all the US commentators are talking about. Too bad it's still infecting some fans

4. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Debatable...

[​IMG]

Just like Iceland...yet they are doing pretty good.

5. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Prepare for a long sleep.

6. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    :rolleyes:

Claudio Reyna blasts soccer in the U.S.: 'We're far too arrogant'
    http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/...ms-united-states-soccer-were-far-too-arrogant

"Our approach and our behavior to the sport here -- to coaching, to everything, is just wrong," Reyna said on Tuesday. "We're far too arrogant. We're far too obnoxious. We are egotistical having never won anything or done anything, and that's not the case around the world.

"We have coaches who think they're better than they are. Across the board, we just think we do things better than we really do. I mean in every way. Whether it's broadcasting, or media, coaching, we're just not as far along as we tell ourselves we are.

artielange84 repped this.
  7. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    :rolleyes:

8. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Right? :ROFLMAO:

9. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    :sleep:

10. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, whatever you're taking, you're overdosing.

11. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Reyna references coaches and sporting directors, not fans who aren't overly impressed with another team that hasn't even made a hex in ages. And even then, Reyna's words right now aren't cold hard fact. Gulati himself said last cycle that the U.S. is going to fail to qualify eventually. And with good reason. Mexico finished the '14 hex with one less point than the U.S. did this time around. Only difference is luck went their way, and they were bailed out. Plenty of people associated with the game here know how much of a dogfight it can be merely within the CONCACAF bounds. Overconfidence may be an issue at certain levels, but I'm not buying that it's a culture wide plague. How could soccer players and people here not know the upward battle when large swathes of the domestic culture still actively dislike the game? Reyna may have some good ideas, but I'll need to see a bit more than some underlined clichés. In the meantime, sure, I send respect to the hex participants this year, including T&T on their great win. I only wish more of their fans could've been there to see it. Props to Jamaica as well, two straight Gold Cup finals deserves recognition.

Canada I acknowledge and thank for hockey, as it is my other favorite sport.

Robert Borden repped this.
  12. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Canada has this skilled striker Lucas Cavallini ! He will cause a bad time to more than one in the next qualifying rounds

Robert Borden repped this.
  13. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And 18 years old Liam Millar at Liverpool U18

By then, if Larin plays in Turkey and UEFA Champions league for Besiktas, he will have polished his skills in time for the next cycle.

Anthony Jackson-Hamel would be our #3 behind Cavallini and Larin.

At midfield we have Junior Hoilett from Cardiff City, Drew Hutchison from Besiktas, Alphoso Davies who should be in Europe by then and Scott Arfield from Burnley. Hoping Tabla commits to Canada.

Defense scares me... Hoping Cordova and Gutierrez in Chile D1 improves to help us defend against CONCACAF nations. Petrasso at Queen's Park is solid, Manjekar James is speedy but need to improve. Hoping to recruit Ricardo Ferreira at defense from Braga in Portugal D1

14. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He played for the U team. He's determined to represent Canada at senior level

16. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Canadian playing in Mexico on loan from Uruguay. Looks like you guys are getting young talent in good places. Good luck next cycle.

17. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say this: I'm jealous of Canada's coaching situation. :D If the CSA let Zambrano do his thing, the 2020-21 Hex is not beyond them...

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He pitched to the CSA to spend massively in hiring scouts to travel around the country to find talents.

Zambrano on hiring more scouts

http://www.tsn.ca/coach-octavio-zam...ore-canadian-soccer-talent-out-there-1.877543
    "We need to establish a solid scouting grid," said Zambrano. "That is something I have presented to the CSA directors, in how to go about doing this in a systemic manner.

"I'm hoping that they sign off on it. If they do, we will reach a completely different level of awareness about what we really have in Canada. Because we do have a lot and I think we're tapping only a very little."

Zambrano on Team Canada speedy potential growth
    He looks forward to a year which he calls a "clean slate."

"I can't wait to see if all these initiatives that I have put forth, (that) they are given the OK for us to proceed. And then I can tell you Canada will just take a quantum leap if that happens."

An insight on how & why Canada did well at the Gold Cup

He is grateful to the CSA for adding another warmup game before the Gold Cup. A game against Curacao was all that was originally planned.

Zambrano wanted more and a closed-door session against Nicaragua — four 30-minute periods over two days in Sunrise, Fla., was arranged.

"It was a wise decision by the CSA because it was in that game where a lot of the thoughts about how to approach the Gold Cup came together."

On how he wants Canada to play in hostile environments

In a perfect world, Zambrano says he would have liked to have taken his team to Cuscatlan Stadium in San Salvador to see them perform in hostile conditions.

New culture around the team
    He says some of his players have told him that, in the past, national team selection was seen as automatic by some. That is no longer the case, he says. The national team shirt has to be earned.

"You don't do it, you're not going to be called back."

He tweeted this giving an insight on perhaps on how the game should be played at youth level (it's funny)

19. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    is it simply that hockey is too expensive to play? the gear and all that. i figured every Canadian kid played hockey and basketball.

Skandal!!! repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  22. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That's it buddy. You could get close to 1k in equipment in a season. multiplied by the number of kids you have in hockey... Please

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bet Sunil stays and by 2026 Canada is ahead of us.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    gotta admire how generous we are to help our opponents raise their game and outperform us

25. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    It is too expensive, and it is difficult to get rink time...