What is the Best Formation for the USA in 2018-19

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Deadtigers, Mar 29, 2018.

1. #8or#6

#8or#6 Red Card

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 15, 2017
    Again this tenuous theory of 'national team styles' simply does not hold up under scrutiny, but seems to be trotted out at moments when a poster wants to justify his stylistic preferences.

The style of any national side is determined by available players and a manager's tactical instructions. The World Cup is played once every four years, and managers are frequently changed. There is no force dictating a style across cycle generations and there should not be an attempt to force one into existence.

Defining a national team with a style would be constraining and unfair to the manager and his squad..

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  2. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Do posters think the USMNT should pursue an identity that seeks to win high scoring and open games or seek to win via low-scoring tight games? I’d like to understand why we’d have a sustainable competitive edge in either scenario.

Should this strategy be different between the Hex and, assuming we make it, the WC?

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Our identity has always been to play conservative soccer, careful/crowded at the back, exploiting the rival's mistakes in the counter. We're not far from anti-football usually, reason why many people around the world celebrate when we get beaten hard. You won't see us losing 7-0 because we go for the little risk strategy against any team of Haiti quality and above.

It'd require a total re-wiring to go toe to toe against the big guys, and would get us destroyed because our defenders, particularly at this point, are not that good. So expect us to keep defending with numbers.

4. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I’d like to hear the other side of the argument as well.

Or perhaps the argument that an attacking style will lead to better defense.

5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    At this point of our history we can no longer be a pure counterattack team. Most teams in CONCACAF and percentage of world cup teams will bunker us. We need to be able to do more.

6. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    So you think we should try to open up the game and try to win a slug-fest?

7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    No, if the other team is bunkering then they are waiting for the counter. At some point we have to realize that we are technically superior to some of the team out there. As such, we need to recognize the situation, circulate the ball and create a mismatch or tease out an opening.

Bob Morocco repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    What really bugs me is remembering how Tata asphyxiated us in that Centenario game. He outcoached Klinsmann, and I'm afraid he's also going to outcoach Gregg. When that happens, Tata reduces you to your minimal expression.

Of course Mexico is not Argentina, but still I feel they are a good fit for him. If (big if) their press doesn't go full xenophobic mode and the guy doesn't feel pressured into playing more "their style" than his own, he could well do it again.

Zero shots (zero blocked, zero off goal, zero on goal) is something you don't see... well, ever.

9. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's my warm take:

4-2-3-1

---------Zardes/Wood----
    LM/W---Puli---Yedlin------
    -------Adams--Mckennie--
    LB-----LCB--RCB--RB---
    --------------GK-------------

10. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin isn’t a winger or attacker in any system.

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    2 mids is why we got sliced open by England. The two mids were McKennie and Trapp. It doesn't work We need 3 mids. My recommendation is Adams-trapp-Delgado.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Exactly. I think we can leave Yedin to one side at this point. Let's go for it and try some offensive wb's/fb's at rb.

13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have time to try some youngesters out in Jan camp but he’s still our best RB. He should never be used as a RW/RM. He isn’t an attacking player. He’s a decent 1v1 defender with elite athleticism.

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yedlin would be a wing-forward, wing-back, or attacking fullback. He wouldn't be a RAM in a 4231, though.

15. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps it was the wrong 2 mids.
    So you're advocating for a 4-3-2-1 where the 2 are essentially wings?
    I mean that's basically my 4-2-3-1 except i Have pulisic more advanced as a 10

16. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Argentina team was loaded. I don't think there was a scenario where the USA could win.

17. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant to frame it as a question. I either forgot how to edit, or something's weird.

18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m sorry but no. He should never be used as a wing forward. He isn’t an attacking player.

Wingback or attacking fullback is fine. He’s a defensive player that can use his speed to be dangerous getting forward. However he in no way shape or form should be used as an out and out attacker.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yedlin would be fine as a wing forward in a counter-attacking scenario.

20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No he wouldn’t. This isn’t fifa. You don’t just plug players in and say he’s fast he can play wing-forward. He isn’t a very good dribbler or crosser and he doesn’t make decisions with the ball in the box. When you play that style you have very few chances with the ball in the box. You want someone who knows what their downing when their there.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He'd be there to provide defense, pace, and an outlet against a top team.

22. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is not theory, it is basic football. International football is a war of football philosophies. If there are no styles, why do you suppose Brazil always has fantastic outside backs? Argentina always develops great number 10s? Italy always has great defenders? Germany's legendary GKers? Spain's tiki-taka style? Mexico's passing and possession style?

Actually, there is -- culture. There is no need to force anything -- American soccer culture already exists, though it is still growing. There is already an American style of play, though it is still in development. A style emerges naturally from playing to the strengths of your culture.

Yet the most successful teams have a signature style that all of us can identify. The key is for an insightful manager to bring the most out of the players he has already, playing to their strengths. That becomes the style. A team without a style cannot achieve because it has no philosophy or identity, which has been the problem in the last few years.

DHC1 repped this.
  23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    How would you describe our style?

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We have to find our way with the 3 forward of midfielders. It's a work in progress.

Essentially, having Trapp and McKennie play as double 6's meant Pulisic and Weah were sitting back wide as outside mids, far from goal leaving the forward duties to Wood and Green. So much for offense - while it may have been designed to have more, it actually had less. On the defensive side, what you see with the two 6's is that one of them has to follow the play wide at which point the second 6 has too much area to cover. Notice how people blamed Pulisic for the first GA in the England game. That shows you the lengths they had to go to when they should have realized the midfield scheme was all wrong.

The 4321 notation

------------------------weah9
    --------Wes(Sarge)10---Pulisic 7/11
    -----adams 7/11--Trapp6- Delgado 8

Adams is a free 8 basically used to create imbalances. 3142 would work if we had intelligent wb's like Gressel and Garza but we don't.

leppercut repped this.
  25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Against some of the C-CAF teams, I rather have Reggie Cannon over Yedlin. Sorry but Yedlin is dumb as rocks when dealing with teams with decent wing-play.