What is the best attack trio in the world?(Clubs)

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by soccerfan220, Sep 2, 2002.

1. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

To be a great player you have to DO great things.

The WC is the biggest stage.

You have to perform at the highest level to attain true greatness. International football is the highest level.

Look how many *great* club players are average at International Level. As Alan Sheaer said, it's a world apart from club football.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Friend, I know you understand the difference between popularity and greatness. Where the most footage comes from is totally irrelevant. These players won World Cups because they were great- the tournament simply made them famous in the eyes of those who didn't already know who they were.

I'm reminded of a college roommate who used to point to Billboard rankings as a factor in judging the quality of a given piece of music. Let's hope you can display more sense, as a musician as well as a fan of soccer.

3. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What do you mean as a musician?

The WC is the highest and hardest level of football.

If you have not played the highest level of Tennis, Football, Basketball, American Football, how can you claim to be the greatest?

Many fantastic club players have not been good enough at International level. Andy Cole, Ian Wright

Alan Shearer has said it a million times, It is a huge step up from club football. He's played in the WC, have you?

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You have to show true greatness to perform successfully at the intercontinental level. You don't become great because you win World Cups- you win World Cups because of your greatness.

Pele, and to a degree, Maradona, were great before the beginning of the World Cups they won. They proved that greatness during the Cups, and gained medals to go with their skills.

5. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So being fantastic at Amatuer level means you are a great player? No.

You have to play against the BEST, and the World Cup is the best.

I've told you a million times, International football is MUCH harder than club football.

Ian Wright and John Barnes are two of the greatest club players in history, but never great international players.

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You've posted that you are a guitarist. Do you believe that the best-selling album is the "best", never mind the fact that music (art) is subjective?

The parallel here is your implication that these players are somehow greater because more people saw W/C footage of them than club footage. The fact is their greatness is what made the footage- they'd have been just as great without the cameras. I don't have any footage of George Weah at a World Cup (and neither do you), but his greatness stands.

Remember, the masses are stupid.

7. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No, I'm saying when you do great things at the highest level to prove you are the best.

Any idiot with talent can claim they could have done this or done that, without actually doing it.

The WC is the highlest level. Only that competition truly sets apart the great players.

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This whole exchange began because you said Giggs would have been greater had he played for England.

Giggs would have been another talented English player, no more or less great than he is now. England, on the other hand, might have had more success with him than they've had without him. Who knows?

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Where do you think the greatness came from? They had it when they stepped on the pitch. Otherwise, someone else would have won those Cups.

You refuse to see the light of truth I'm shining on you. There is no hope.

Gone.

10. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    actually its
    elber-pizarro-ballack

11. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Tiger woods is the best golfer ever because he does great things at the highest level against the best.

If he played at club level all his life with exactly the same talent, he would not be the greatest golfer ever because he had never physically competed against the best players under extreme pressure etc.

12. astabo0ty

astabo0ty New Member

Mar 25, 2002
    South Florida
    have you watched veron play in the EPL? enough said. btw Giggs and Beckham should be in there.

2nd i dont think giggs is as good as figo but to say that thought is a joke is stupid.
    El Hadji Diouf....

13. Syncope

Syncope New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    I would like to see this, too. But I don't think Deisler will every stay fit long enough to reach his full potential. But considering that it's the "cheapest" trio of all that you listed, it's still pretty good.

Other great Bayern variants are:
    Scholl-Salihamidzic-Elber
    Zé Roberto-Ballack-Pizarro

I think Santa Cruz (currently in rehab from injury) will evolve into a superb striker as well.

Heck, I'll take any three. In fact, any combination of these is still cheaper than the most expensive player from any of the other trios (and sometimes any player from a trio):

Salihamidzic-Deisler-Ballack-Zé Roberto-Scholl
    Santa Cruz-Pizarro-Elber

As to your thread...

***Looks Nice, Let's See It Work***
    Real Madrid: Zidane-Ronaldo-Raul
    AC Milan: Rui Costa-Shevshenko-Rivaldo
    Inter: Recoba-Crespo-Vieri
    Barcelona: Mendieta-Saviola-Kluivert

***Maybe When Veron Learns How To Play For ManU***
    Manchester United: Veron-Solskaer-NIlseterooy

***This Is The Best Of The Proven Bunch***
    Giggs-Van Nistelrooy-Beckham

There are probably some fantastic trios is South America.

14. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Has played less than a handful of games for Liverpool thus far. More evidence is sort of needed before we can say anything one way or another about him.

15. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess Andriy Shevchenko will never be as good as Clint Mathis seeing as he never will play in a World Cup and Clint has. ;)

16. khara1111

khara1111 New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    I can score penalties too.

17. khara1111

khara1111 New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    good point

18. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

But can you score great goals in the champions league?

Deportivo would agree.

19. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    Khara: Are you dumb?
    Yes you are. He also scored 23 in the premier league, just so you can remeber. Is Beckha mgood? Overrated or not, he is definitely pretty good...

20. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    Diof is good but isn't the best finisher. With quite a few shots and oppurtunities in the WC he didn't score any. I still remeber that miss he made against Sweden, which almost hit the corner flag.

Syncope: The Zidane-Raul combo proved it worked last year. Tossing in Ronaldo couldn't hurt. Injuries: You want to put Morientes in, go right ahead. But if I put Morientes in, you'd probably say, "WHat about the guy they spent 35million dollars for...."AC Milan:
    Explain to me how these wouldn't work:
    Rui Costa-Shevshenko-Rivaldo
    Inter: Recoba-Crespo-Vieri
    Barcelona: Mendieta-Saviola-Kluivert

Maybe When Veron Learns How To Play For ManU***
    Manchester United: Veron-Solskaer-Nilseterooy

Based on his pre-season form he should know. Also, he has something to prove this season, i don't think he'll od as bad as last year. People always seem to do good on second chances.

This Is The Best Of The Proven Bunch***
    Giggs-Van Nistelrooy-Beckham
    Whether Beckham is better is arguable. Veron is more offensive.

21. depor15

depor15 Member

Jun 28, 1999
    to say Giggs would have been a better player is probably wrong but to say he would not be judged differently if he did play in the WC is correct. giggs has been a great player for ManU but unfortunately alot of what people remember of players does have to do with their performances during the WC. Maradona is more known for his hand of God than what he did for Napoli. It is true that what a player does at the WC should not be the only method used to judge a player but the WC is actually the onlysoccer tournament that is truely followed by a worldwide audience.

22. khara1111

khara1111 New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    No I'm smart :)

23. Rabon

Rabon New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Madrid. SPAIN
    without doubt.The best trio of the world around the last 100 years are:

1-ALFREDO DI STEFANO
    2-PACO GENTO
    3-PUSKAS

Maybe this actual Real Madrid can be a litle bit similar.Like the Madrid of the 6 Champions leagues.

Is impossible to compare this trio with the Manchester or Barça or Inter. Use the brain no the heart.

24. Blue Army

Blue Army New Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Newport
    The quality in the champions league is higher than the quality in the world cup. I believe that if both Brazil and Real Madrid had their strongest teams out, Real would win. I would also say Man United, Arsenal, Barcelona, Inter, AC, Bayern, Juventus, Leverkusen, Liverpool and Roma could beat the likes of Germany, Spain and Italy. There is much more depth in the Champions League as people can be play for a team no matter what their nationality. So the best players are part of the champions league and there are quality throughout the teams not like int he WC.

25. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    International football is harder.

Look how many goals Andy Cole, Raul, Owen etc score in the Champions League compared to world cups.

Andy cole is the highest ever scorer for Man Utd in the champions league, but has only scored 1/2 goals for England.