What is the best attack trio in the world?(Clubs)

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by soccerfan220, Sep 2, 2002.

1. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    Well, obviously, the best attack trio will be real. So to make things a little more interesting don't just say the best, but rank them all in order. Here are your choices........ you can add some if you like, too. These are just the choices
    Real Madrid: Zidane-Ronaldo-Raul
    AC Milan: Rui Costa-Shevshenko-Rivaldo
    Manchester United: Veron-Solskaer-NIlseterooy
    Bayern Munich: Diesler-Ballack-Elber
    Barcelona: Mendieta-Saviola-Kluivert
    Juve: Nedved-Trezeguet-Del Piero
    Arsenal: Pires-Henry-Bergkamp
    Inter: Recoba-Crespo-Vieri
    Real Madrid Second String: Figo-Morientes-Guti
    Juventus Second String: Davids-Di Vaio-Salas
    AC mILan Second String: Pirlo-Inzaghi-Tomasson
    Liverpool: Gerrard-Diouf-Owen

Here is my ranking:
    Real Madrid: Zidane-Ronaldo-Raul
    AC Milan: Rui Costa-Shevshenko-Rivaldo
    Manchester United: Veron-Solskaer-NIlseterooy
    Inter: Recoba-Crespo-Vieri
    Barcelona: Mendieta-Saviola-Kluivert
    Arsenal: Pires-Henry-Bergkamp
    Bayern Munich: Diesler-Ballack-Elber
    Real Madrid Second String: Figo-Morientes-Guti
    Liverpool: Gerrard-Diouf-Owen
    Juventus Second String: Davids-Di Vaio-Salas

Post Yours

2. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Real's trio the best? Maybe if Ronaldo stays healthy and ZiZI doesn't start showing his age.

3. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    How about waiting for these "trios" to even play ONE match together before making a claim like this

4. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    Treetaliano: Yea, the season hasn't started yet, so obviously there will be new and different players. Basically it's a prediction thread for this season. Based on the players you can make estimations. Post your rankings

5. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    just do the top five

6. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How can you leave out Giggs or Beckham from Man Utd?

Giggs is almost as good as Figo.

Beckham is also better than Veron.

It should be ranked on form. Arsenal's attack is lightning fast and spectacular, so I'd put them very high, above Bayern and Barcelona.

Real, Bayern and Milan's are pretty unproven.

AC Milan/Juventus second string above Liverpool is a joke right?

7. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    In your dreams....maybe hes almost as good when figo is playing bad(I.E world cup)

But when hes playing 100% hell blow giggs away....:D

8. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Giggs is easily a match for Figo. If Giggs played for England he'd have been European or even World Player of the Year.

Figo would never have been world player of the year without playing for Portugal in Euro 2000.

Giggs - VanNistelrooy - Beckham

Only Real Madrid can match that.

9. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    Maybe our right.even though i doubt it........but there both damn good players its just that Figois better:D

10. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I actually think Zidane is the best player in the world.

I wish Giggs played for England, he would have become great.

11. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Thats ridiculous. You really are Mr. Premier League, you know.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Giggs is great. He might have had more medals had he played for England, but he wouldn't necessarily have been a better player. Look at George Weah. He played for Liberia, and no one questions the measure of his greatness.

Great players, cohesiveness, discipline and coaching make great teams, not the other way around.

13. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    Ok, about the AC milan and Juve second strings being better than liverpool, michael owen is overrated, diouf is good but not the best finisher, and then they don't have an attacking midfielder really, so I had to use Gerrard. AC Milan's second string has Pirlo who is about 21 and will be a future star. Tomasson scored more than Owen in the WC as well as playing fewer games and inspired his team to a UEFA Cup triumph. Inzaghi has been around for a while and is very experienced and a good forward who would easily start on Liverpool and would probably score more or as much as Owen. Juventus's second string is David's( like the Gerrard factor) Di Vaio, who scored 21 goals last season, which I believe is more than Owen, and Salas is arguably the best header of the ball in the world. Now, looking back at my post, I put Liverpool's team ahead of Juve's and Milan's second. I should change that. SO first of all you say I did something wrong which I didn't do, and now if you read this how can you say it would have been wrong?

14. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No. Beyond Owen's speed, there's really nothing all that special that stands out about Liverpool's attack - and for that matter, there really isn't meant to be anything that stands out, either, considering that their success is built around a tight defensive system and well-reasoned tactics rather than any sort of superb attacking displays.

As for Ryan Giggs, I seriously doubt that playing for England would have made him a better player, per se. Given him a slightly higher profile, perhaps, but he doesn't really need one - he's certainly accomplished everything he could have dreamed of without it, hasn't he? That's like saying George Best could have been great if he didn't play for Northern Ireland. (You just wish Giggs played for England so the English wouldn't have been bellyaching about the left side 'problem' for so many years.) Since when has playing for a 'lesser' soccer nation hindered a player? It certainly didn't, as Auriaprottu said, hinder George Weah. Or Hristo Stoichkov. Or Hugo Sanchez, etc.

15. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    If England had Giggs this WC they could have gone to the semis, by finsihing top in their group, beating Senegal and Turkey. Giggs isn't as good as that sounds, but they could have beaten Nigeria and they also could beat the next two teams. The thing is, he's a lot better than Trevor Sinclair.

16. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

You obviously have not seen many Liverpool games.

AC Milan's FIRST STRING looked inferior against Liverpool pre season losing 2-1. Steven Gerrard tore them to bits.

As for Stoichkov, I don't recall Wales ever getting to the Semi finals of the WC............

Best and Weah still suffered not playing in the WC. They greatly regret it. They would have become even greater and more famous.

Maradona, Pele, Hagi, Baggio, Owen, etc etc etc were all made by the WC.

17. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    OK, then put it this way. Without Stoichkov Bulgaria wouldn't have been a good team.

18. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    LIverpool would be probably in first or second if I was ranking the top defensive trio in the world

19. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Greater and more famous? I think your problem is that you're confusing the two. How would have playing in the World Cup - a handful of games, possibly made them better players? Would it have given them better ball skill, finishing, speed, positional awareness? Certainly not.

20. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Look at Maradona and Pele, 99% of footage is from the World Cup.

They become great because of performances at the World Cup.

George Best was possibly BETTER than Pele and Maradonna. Look how few people rate him as good as them because there is no World Cup footage or history.

George Best was not even voted best player at Man Utd because the generation today had no great footage of him at the World Cup.

21. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Basing snap judgements based on one result, I see. And as for the first, do you know what the word 'fallacy' means?

22. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    if you count pre-season games your stupid. Just watch this year as the four italian teams will tear everyone up in the CL, except for bayern and real!!!!!!! Liverpool won't do anything!

23. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Look, I can relate about Best - di Stefano never played in the World Cup, either, and he is quite possibly the greatest player in the history of the sport. But you aren't paying attention to a single word of what I'm trying to get across here. In whatever your definition of a 'great' player is, you seem to somehow be confusing fame and ability. Best, di Stefano, Weah, and Giggs would have played exactly the same on the field with or without the World Cup.

24. khara1111

khara1111 New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    I think that Figo was a big part in Portugal's Euro success. Also, I think that Figo got this reward due to his club play.

P.S.
    Personally I think that the only player worth anything on the MU squad IS Giggs and maybe Keane although Kean's style isn't a particularly atractive one; but effective nontheless.

25. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No offence, but that is the funniest quote I've ever seen.

Scholes - Veron - Beckham - Keane - V.Nisteltrooy - Rio Ferdinand -Solskjaer

Van Nistelrooy = top scorer in the Champions League.

I'm not even a Man U fan, but you're crazy.