What if Australia finish in the top 3?

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Edgar, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Edgar

Edgar Member

For the 2011 edition, the teams automatically qualified were the top three teams from the 2007 edition (Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Korea Republic) and the host nation (Qatar).

Also, the winners of the Challenge Cup 2008 and 2010 (India and Korea DPR) also qualified.

Thus, the remaining teams fought for 10 spots. Easy setup - 5 groups of four teams with the top two qualifying.

What if Australia (hosting the 2015 edition) will finish in the top three in Qatar? Will all the 4 semifinalist receive automatic qualification for the 2015 AFC Asian Cup?

If that's not the case - this will leave 11 available places. What preliminary format could be used?

2. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I remember reading an article which stated that only the winners of the challenger cup 2014 get automatic qualification. The winners of the 2012 challenger cup do not qualify automatically.

So, that takes care of one spot. Australia of course qualify as hosts. That leaves the top 3 spots of this Asian Cup. Assuming Australia are in one of the top 3 spots, all 4 semifinalists will qualify.

Case 1, Australia are in top 3 spots. Lets say that they are losing semifinalists. So, number of teams directly qualified for the AC 2015 are Australia + 3 other semifinalists + Challenger Cup winners. Leaving 11 spots.

I guess, that can be settled by having 5 groups of 4 teams with top 2 qualifying and 1 group of 3 teams, in which only the team on top qualifies.

Case 2, Australia is not in the top 3 spots. Suppose they don't make it to the semi-finals in this version of the AC. Nothing really changes for the 2015 AC qualification. Just that the 3rd-4th place match in the current Asian Cup is suddenly a lot more important. :D

3. Edgar

Edgar Member

While I could find no official info from AFC regarding the 2012 AFC Challenge Cup, every article I've read mentions the 2012 winner going to the 2015 AFC Asian Cup.

4. ashindia

ashindia Member

Apr 14, 2009
    India,Hyderabad
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    4th placed team will qualify instead. Simple ! :D

5. hihi

hihi Red Card

Mar 17, 2006
    Internet
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    If Australia finishes in the top 3, the Australian FA, as hosts, will get the special privilage to invite a national team of their choice. Australia, being the ass they are, will invite Federated States of Micronesia over the much popular, and much more deserving French Polynesia.

6. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Curse you, Wikileaks!

7. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Are you serious? Would the invitee have to be from Asia?

8. shinović89

shinović89 Member+

May 23, 2010
    Liverfail
    I think he's joking.

9. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia

No, we want New Zealand :D (for the Koreans, that was a joke too!)

10. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I really don't get why the winner, runner-up, and third place team clinch qualification...

11. Edgar

Edgar Member

No, both qualify.

See this article on AFC's website.

Automatic qualification to the AFC Asian Cup 2015 will be given to the winners, runners-up & third-placed team of the AFC Asian Cup 2011, and winners of the AFC Challenge Cup 2012 & 2014. In case the winners of the AFC Challenge Cup 2012 & 2014 are the same, runners-up of 2014 will qualify.

12. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    woohoo so Uzbekistan, South Korea, Japan all clinch qualification to 2015.

Great, no cancelling friendlies with Italy & Portugal in FWC warm-ups to honor ACQ fixtures with Hong Kong & Bahrain on FIFA Matchdays.

13. hihi

hihi Red Card

Mar 17, 2006
    Internet
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    You still need to finish top 3 to clinch a spot. If Australia finishes third or higher, the fourth placed team will not get a spot.

@AKITOD I'm pretty sure holding the tournament during January had some part in the cancelled friendlies.

14. tenken

tenken New Member

Jul 9, 2008
    It was clarified today that only the top 3 spots will automatically be qualified, even if it includes Australia (the host country).

If Australia beats Uzbekistan, the loser of the 3rd place game will not have an automatic spot in the 2015 AC in Australia.

The only way for Uzbekistan, South Korea, and Japan to all have automatic qualification in Australia would be for Australia to come in 4th this year.

15. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    That would skew the qualification setup quite a lot.

16. NinaQatar

NinaQatar Member

Sep 25, 2010
    I think the top four should automatically qualify to 2015, now that the host nation (Australia) are amongst them.

The AFC Challenge Cup has suddenly gotten a lot more exciting for its participating teams. :)

I'd like to see both India and Pakistan qualifying to the next Asian Cup. :p

17. leohoenig

leohoenig Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Shipton
    Club:
    Cheltenham Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What one has to realise is that the qualification process is already confused by the draw for the 2012 Challenge Cup.

The AFC currently has 46 Nations, of which Brunei remain suspended. North Mariana are potentially the 47th member, but currently have only associate status.

20 Countries are entered into the 2012 Challenge Cup - four will be knocked out in play offs next month, and the number is then reduced to 8 by four groups of four playing single venue tournaments in March. The venue for the finals will be chosen from the 8 (that gives about a year of notice, quite acceptable for a tournament where no building work is expected, and only two stadiums are required.

As an aside, after the last two were in India and Sri Lanka, can we hope that a Central Asian country, such as Turkmenistan or Tajikistan is given a chance?

Looking at the draw, one assumes that Guam and East Timor are not entered, so that leaves 23 countries either in the Challenge Cup or not entered.

Which also leaves 23 for the 2015 Asian Cup - either 19 countries bidding for 10 slots, or 20 bidding for 11.

Will there be a number of clubs again bidding for a place on two fronts, both via the Challenge Cup and the Asian Cup Qualifiers? Will the 2012 Challenge Cup winners, like India after 2008 then withdraw from the Asian Cup qualification, leaving them a team short?

of course, back in 2008, there were originally four teams - India, Myanmar, Turkmenistam and North Korea entered into both the Challenge Cup, and the qualification for 2011. The latter three withdrew before the Asian Cup draw and appear airbrushed from AFC records. Inida only withdrew after winning in 2008.

This still meant one play off before the group stages, with the Maldives as the unfortunate team. The Maldives then played in the 2010 Challenge Cup, as one of the qualifying group hosts, (although beaten by Turkmenistan)

18. Edgar

Edgar Member

I think they wanted to give some value to the 3rd place match.

Thanks! As leohoenig said, this leaves 11 spots. AFC could use the same system and also award qualification to the best 3rd placed team.
    There could be a group with Iran, China, Saudi Arabia and Thailand in the 2015 ACQ. :eek:

And since the 2011 Asian Cup performance will (most likely) be used for the 2015 final tournament, there could be a group like this:

Australia/Japan/Korea Republic
    Iran
    China PR
    Saudi Arabia

19. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's safe to say the Aussies will finish in the top 3. :p