What has happened to the English teams in the CL?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Beticious, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agree.

I guess the wider point is that there are very few strong teams in Europe at the moment.

I didn't count that as a chance generated as it was a set piece not from open play.

2. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    What's interesting to ask is that had Drogba missed his header, or Robben scored his penalty - would people still be saying that RDMs tactics were sound or that Chelsea played well?

There is a lot of post facto justification going on IMO.

3. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Table doesn't lie :D

Well of course it is arguable. And of course your league position got worse by one place after AVB left

4. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I regard both teams as being high ranked in Europe. You regard both teams as being 'weak' or 'not good' for some unknown reason . But then again ,nothing in this forum has any logic behind it .

Like this thread is still going strong when the cup is already back in England .

5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So don't post in the thread. :p

Bayern is not good by their own high standards - as Dortmund have shown.
    Chelsea and Man Utd are a shadow of their 2008 selves.

So yes - I think they are not strong teams - they are weak teams by comparison to previous years.

6. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Are people saying Chelsea played well? As far as I can tell, most people are suggesting that they rode their luck and are one of the weakest champions in memory.

As far as RDM's tactics, I think his hands were pretty much tied. Two centrebacks (who haven't really played together) rushed back from hamstring injuries, no real defensive options off the bench, Kalou and Bertrand as the most sensible choice for wide players. Playing Bayern at home. This was always going to be a smash and grab.

7. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Bayern bottled it!! simple as that .
    Chelsea holding the cup is reality!!

Heynckes made a critical tactical blunder which allowed Chelsea to equalise.
    Took Muller off (best performer for Bayern)
    moved tymochuk to midfield (when he had marked drogba out of the game)
    moved Van Buyten into defence to take over tymochuks role..

and Bang ,chelsea score from a corner moments later because of Heynckes tactical move.

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Muller was injured and asked to be subbed.

I agree Bayern bottled it - we are talking about Robben after all - this is the 2nd major final he has bottled.

So you seem to be agreeing that Chelsea were poor and Bayern should have won.

9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    fair enough.

10. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Because the FA cup and the Champions League became the priorities (which is understandable for a manager who has no guarantee of being back next season).

11. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    If Bayern can eliminate Real Madrid they arent a poor team. If Chelsea can get past Valencia ,Napoli ,Benfica ,Barcelona and Bayern ... they arent a poor team.

They are high ranking teams ,whichever way you look at it..
    most definitely not weak ,like you claim.

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Valencia ,Napoli ,Benfica: all weak teams

Barca: missed peno

Bayern: missed peno

Bayern are a deeply flawed team. Jose must be kicking himself.

13. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I really wonder if half of the people on this board are under 12. One of the fundamental points about football is that you have to have a good defence and build on that in attack to be a great team. In the past few seasons with Barcelona coming to dominance it seems the plastics on this forum who have probably watched football for about 5 years think that anyone who doesn't play this way is negative.

What I find funny is that the same people who use the 'bunker' argument have had their teams do it. Germany did it against Spain in the World Cup, as did Holland - yet people still polish their b*ners over these teams.

It's clear that Chelsea with the relatively slow and ageing squad that we have would get torn apart if we tried to play all out attacking football, so instead RDM has found a system that suits all of our players perfectly - defending with discipline and counter attacking. Football is about playing to your strengths, and Chelsea did that.

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Except that Germany actually did counter against Spain and looked dangerous at times.

Chelsea did not manage to counter at all.

15. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I remember watching that game (I wanted Germany to win, because I thought the final would have been a much better game), and Germany were terrible. I thought they defend and hit on the break, and after how lethal they were against England and Argentina with their counters, thought they would win....but they seemed toothless.

As for Chelsea, I think they had in them to have played a slightly more expansive threatening game against Bayern (not against Barca though), but they believed their best chance against a very good possession side, at their home ground, with dangerous players on the flanks...was to keep it tight for as long as possible. They probably ended getting pushed back more than they expected, but I think something has to be pointed out regarding the 'Chelsea are lucky as they only had so many shots and\or if only Messi or Robben would have scored the penalty'....Every time they went behind in the last 2 ties, they went up the other end and scored almost immediately. Regardless of whether those penalties\or other chances would have gone in or not, Chelsea proved they had enough to still pull themselves back. With an ageing squad, suspensions, and the tough season they've had, I think for this point in time for them, the defensive tactic was probably their best chance, and so it proved.

lost repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes - Ozil missed the key chance and Mueller was out.

But they at least generated some counterplay.

Chelsea did not counter at all until they were 1-0 down.

Mata was a total failure I thought.

17. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Mata was always going to struggle. He was anonymous against Barca as well, simply because Chelsea don't yet have the personnel for him to play off of. Not against the best sides, anyways. He's not Sneijder, his game is more 'Spanish' than that, but when your options for keeping possession or a clever piece of passing are Bertrand and Kalou, you're going to have a frustrating night.

18. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001

Which teams in Europe are "good" then??

19. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    LOL mate ,this forum is about par with World rivalries for football knowledge.

RobTheFool repped this.
  20. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    What has happened to the English teams in the CL?
    Nothing they just won the trophy !!!
    Congrats Chelsea !!!
    Always thought it was theirs for the taking.
    This also proves that the BL is far in distant 4th place behind the EPL, Serie A & La Liga, no matter how high up in UEFA's ranking they go. It is afterall trophies that count & not runners up !!

21. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    no one can argue that this chelsea side presented a tactical dillemma for two sides that have spent an awful lot of money on players that are supposed to overcome difficulties in big matches. these sides failed to come up with an answer to this chelsea problem. hence, chelsea are the champions. if they are so weak you will be able to easily explain to me how come it is that they are now champions of one of the most sought after and keenly contested elite prizes that humans have ever devised.

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Both sides did come up with the tactical solution though.

They just missed the penalties that they earned (not to mention the chances)

I think that is where you logic is faulty.

When a game is decided on an error - this is not a tactical point.

23. BobanFan

BobanFan Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The execution of the problem's solution was what eluded both teams after they had solved the problem from a tactical point. However, if they only solved the problem once from a tactical point and lacked the ability to execute it fully, is it really the right solution? or do they need to solve it new ways?

24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Bayern commited two errors which added up to a 2 goal swing (failure to mark + missed pen),

That is before we even start on Gomez

Tactics are way down the list of reasons for the loss.

Bayern had at least 5 clear goal scoring opportunities that they missed.

How many more do you expect an elite defensive side to concede?

25. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Still waiting for the list of "good teams" in European football.