What has happened to St. Louis University?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Bahramov, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Bahramov

Bahramov Red Card

Sep 10, 2016
    Adding SIU-E to the schedule isn't going to help.

They aren't very good either.

Instead of going to Wake and playing NC away - why not bring them to Saint Louis?

When was the last time a Top Ten team came to Hermann?

McGinty has had seven years. All of the guys he has are his guys.

He has failed misarebly.

More than likely they miss the tournament again this year.

They should DOMINATE the A-10 EVERY year.

2. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Should?

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Why are those schools going to use their limited travel budget to go play mid-major?

When top soccer programs travel across time zones, they usually do it to play other top teams. Wake Forest can play about 6 mid-majors with a 2-hour bus ride. Why spend money on airline travel for the same thing?

hykos1045 repped this.
  4. Goal420

Goal420 Member

Jan 9, 2008
    In the past several years, off the top of my head, Indiana, Louisville and Creighton have all come to Hermann Field.

I believe Louisville in '14 ?

Don't disagree about McGinty.

Adding SIUE would be more for the fans of the particular teams and soccer region. It doesn't make much sense for SLU to schedule Tulsa and Northern Ill., when they could schedule SIUE and draw several thousand more fans.

Also, why wouldn't the only two DI teams in the area play? Especially when you have already alienated a good portion of the fan base. I guess the point is, McGinty has done nothing to help the cause, considering the lackluster results on the field. And while SIUE might not be a household name to many, they are without much doubt the program trending upward out of the two.

5. Goal420

Goal420 Member

Jan 9, 2008
    #80 Goal420, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016

Being a mid-Major isn't really the issue. Again, their resources are on par with many Power five (from a soccer standpoint). Teams travel to play Akron, Butler, etc... Has more to do with the current status of the program. Look at their schedule the past 15 years. They annually host good games (contradictory to what Bahramov says) This home year's home schedule has been the worst.

6. Bahramov

Bahramov Red Card

Sep 10, 2016
    Looking back at their schedule they host one good game a year.

This year was Louisville. Last year IU. The year before Louisville.

Louisville has been on the schedule a lot. There have been a couple visits by Creighton.

Problem is the SLU website doesn't say where the schools were ranked at the time of the visit.

You have to go all the way back to 2008-2009 to where the home schedule was any good. They played UCONN and Creighton. I did see Clemson in there as well one year.

There have been some years when there hasn't been any good teams at all as well.

So they are good for one good game every year. That is it.

SIU-E has an RPI of 84. Not exactly anything to write home about.

They along with SLU will miss the tournament again.

Maybe SLU needs to kick in some money to attract some better teams to come to Hermann.

More than likely more Central Arkansas games.

7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I think (within limits) the right coach could turn things around. Maybe Tim Ream when he retires as a player. If you could grab someone like Cole Porter, the whole program would be singing a different tune!

Anyway, thanks for sending me wandering off to the SIUE soccer Wiki page, where I learned that three of the fifteen largest crowds in NCAA soccer history, including the very largest, attended the St Louis v SIUE {then-}annual "Bronze Boot" game(s).

Having these two schools play each other every year would be the no-brainer of the century (maybe of the millennium, but it's early).

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    #83 Sandon Mibut, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    Indeed.

If Cole Porter were to coach SLU, it's fair to say anything goes. They would be tough to fence in. We would definitely get a kick out of the Billikens and they would get under ours and the opponents skin. They'd be the top!

Martininho, stphnsn and TimB4Last repped this.
  9. Bahramov

Bahramov Red Card

Sep 10, 2016
    I was at all three of those games.

Could you replicate that now?

No.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    At the time, both programs were national powers. At the time, there wasn't much in the way of domestic soccer to watch. At the time, there was very little international soccer to watch.

Apples and oranges. It's a totally different era for soccer, both collegiate or in general in the U.S.

11. Bahramov

Bahramov Red Card

Sep 10, 2016
    Agreed. Neither are national powers anymore.

Even though Goal420 thinks SIU-E is trending up with an RPI of 84. Considering there RPI last year I guess.

In terms of domestic soccer with no MLS team in Saint Louis (I actually don't think the city will get one) you might get a decent crowd. Maybe 5000 at SLU.

SLU loses to GW.there goes the at large bid possibility.

Really having trouble with the few teams in the A-10 that are over .500.

12. ksc7

ksc7 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Karlsruher SC

never getting an at large, even prior to the loss. RPI of 57 and 1-4 vs ranked opponents. not going to get even SLU into the tournament. And wait till you see their RPI after the loss. predicting somewhere around 70. only change is winning the a10 tourney ...the gruel of 3 games in 4 days... gluck!

Last two losses:
    GW -RPI of 101
    Fordham RPI - 109

Onto a NEW COACH!

If SLU can draw as many as they do for homecoming, i believe an SIUE vs SLU could easily draw 5K. have it wherever you like. Promote it for a bit at the local soccer fields and there will be a couple thousand kids at the game. no questions asked.

13. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    My RPI updates as soon as the game is logged into the database. If you can see a final score, you are looking at the updated RPI. Saint Louis is a 57 after its loss to George Washington: http://rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com/2016/08/saint-louis.html

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The way SLU is finishing the season is sure making it tough for me to keep defending them.. ;)

15. I Hate IU

I Hate IU New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    There is no point in defending them. Where as I am with you in wanting them to succeed, the way it has been approached since he took over has not work and will continue to fail. If slu does by some chance win the A 10 Tourney and get in, I really wont look forward to a team like Indiana beating the piss out of them like they did earlier in the year.

ksc7 repped this.
  16. Bahramov

Bahramov Red Card

Sep 10, 2016
    SLU vs SIU-E could easily draw 5000 every year if they played every year.

Play it at SLU one year and SIU-E the next.

There really isn't anywhere else to play it.

Thankfully you agree on the new coach.

My fear is SLU administration doesn't care enough about McGinty or the program to fire him.

Two appearances in the NCAA tournament in seven years (if they miss this year) is unacceptable.

They have to figure out a way to get better players to go there. That is the coach's job right?

ksc7 repped this.
  17. ksc7

ksc7 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Karlsruher SC
    Sad, i love my bills! hopefully can turn it around and get us back in the tourney!

....thankfully? **** i would have fired him the second i stopped or started playing for him!

18. I Hate IU

I Hate IU New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    And they are out of the A10 Tournament already...

19. ksc7

ksc7 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Karlsruher SC
    HAHAHAHA.... still want to keep him?!

20. Bahramov

Bahramov Red Card

Sep 10, 2016
    If you ask Espola SLU should keep McGinty because there are no recruiting scandals and two tournament appearances in six years is well above average.

Now it is two appearances in seven years. Is that above average.

Espola will point out that SLU won the A-10 regular season and McGinty was actually Coach of the Year in the A-10.

Not reasons for me to keep him but, I will bet Espola would say it is good enough.

Unbelievable how far this program has fell.

They lost in overtime to Dayton who was the number 8 seed after winning the league.

SLU is rubbish is all I can say.

ksc7 repped this.
  21. I Hate IU

I Hate IU New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    That will be the ADs excuse for not firing him...He won coach of the year...when its pretty obvious why he hasnt been fired yet...makes the AD look bad because its his hire.

Two losing seasons and two NCAA tournament appearances in seven years...

ksc7 repped this.
  22. Bahramov

Bahramov Red Card

Sep 10, 2016
    I wonder when his contract is up?

They must have re-upped him at some point.

Maybe his contract is up after this year?

I read somewhere he doesn't make all that much money.

23. ksc7

ksc7 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Karlsruher SC
    ....shit bring in Tim Champion and i bet he could win coach of the year in this lousy conference

AD MAY....its glue factor time for this guy!

24. I Hate IU

I Hate IU New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Anyone on here from a rival A 10 program????

would love to get input and here those thoughts on slu's current program.

hykos1045 repped this.
  25. ksc7

ksc7 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Karlsruher SC
    now can they get rid of him? first round exit!!??!?!!?