What happened to interest in the Rhinos

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by Revolt, Aug 2, 2010.

1. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    The new PAETEC / Marina Auto Stadium opened in 2006

Average attendances so far

2006 - 10,110
    2007 - 9,705
    2008 - 8,243
    2009 - 6,428
    2010 - 6,464

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    which is true for the vast majority of fans of minor league teams. They're just looking for entertainment.

Back before the move Bull Durham, the then fourth division Durham Bulls were in the top 20 of minor league baseball attendance despite playing in a stadium that held only 5200 spectators. After the movie, they peaked at #5 amongst all minor league clubs despite being in A ball, having a perennial losing team, and playing in a rat infested stadium built in 1939 in what - in the early 90s - was not a good part of Durham to hang out in.

People went to the ball game because it was the thing to do. It was a night out of the house in the fresh air. Drinking beer and hanging out with friends.

That's the core audience for pretty much all minor league sports. Traditionalists, purists, etc... are a marginal nuisance (and yes, I'm part of that minority) that never, ever, will come close to paying the bills.

Minor league sports is about promotion and entertainment.

I think Rochester will be fine regardless of what league they play in.

3. Arsenalfc1983

Arsenalfc1983 New Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sure, I'll chime in with the obvious answer. Self relegation is a letdown. Yes there are benefits, and it's not the end of the world, but when you go from potentially being in the MLS to joining D-3, it's a HUGE disappointment.

I will say I have no faith in the NASL at this point. but it's not like the USL has done any to garner either.

I will agree with the above poster who said that 90% of the fans wont know a difference in dropping, and the 10% who do in Rochester wouldn't be enough to convince the owner otherwise. Also we have no supporters section anymore.

My wife is one of the 90% who wouldn't care too much, but her concern is a very REAL and disturbing idea too. Last year we brought in a new coach who basically wholesaled the team(3 returning players). If we drop again, rumor has it we would essentially cut wages again and have to be reintroduced to all new players. I'm not sure if that will truly happen, but if it does, the average fan will be turned off.

Any thoughts on that side of things?

4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

The league will be called USL Pro but I doubt that much players will be making a lot of money

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Battery returned 10 players from their previous season. The return of a couple fan favorites certainly helped keep the fans "in touch" with the team. And while the wages did drop, it was mostly from the length of the season being shorter and being able to carry a smaller squad due to the shorter season (less games=less injuries)

I gather most Battery players make around $3000 per month some more some less. But the main difference is the contract is really only for four months so that is about $12,000 for the summer. For a squad of 22 players that would be about $250,000. Not a lot

Several players have gone on to play in D2 and many will play in an indoor league some will coach college and teach camps or private sessions through the winter to supplement their income.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From reading the Rhinos forum, I get the impression that fans are really upset about going down. Reactions go from just upset/depressed by it to organizing boycotts.

I have no idea how this compares to Charleston. But that doesn't sound good.

7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lurk in their forum too but i get the impression that its a few guys talking about supporting the NYRB and not supporting the Rhinos.

I understand the team was touted as moving to MLS about a decade ago but the landscape and reality has changed since then and I think most fans will understand that. Doesnt mean they will like it but most will accept it. Add up all the supporters that post in the online forums and we still only make up a small portion of a team fan base.

I'm sure there will be some egos bruised and people upset. But I think if the owners decide to more to USL Pro, they would be wise to keep a few key players that are fan favorites, bring in a couple new faces and get them out there in the 2011 season so the fans know them, have a meet and greet with the team before the season, open a dialogue with the fans and it will help smooth the process.

one a side note, most the guys I know stopped posting on that forum because they got tired of some of the "new" guys that came in telling them they werent true fans yada, yada yada. they have been on the scene in Rochester before the Rhinos and will be there long after those type of fans are gone.

8. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

Read an interesting article by Jeff DiVeronica in which he mentioned that the Rhinos fans during the late nineties were pretty happy to be in a league with Richmond, Charlotte, Charleston, Pittsburgh, etc...

9. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DiVo must be estatic!

11. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DiVo is a homer like FoxNews is to Sarah Palin. DiVo has no fangs or gonads.

I use to sell tickets for the SJ Quakes about 10 years ago and the Rhinos use to have higher attendance than a lot of MLS teams. DiVo needs to be pissed.

I have never heard any English team that is happy about regulation.

12. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Be thankful you have a team. My team just moved to Orlando, Bob Irsay style.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only place Clark would move Rhinos would be Syracuse. At least he is a local guy.

14. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Why would anyone want to go to Syracuse? j/k (sort of)

15. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the mall? the mercury filled lake?

I lived there for about a year in 2000-2001. I have some good friends in Syracuse but other than them I dont miss much about the place.

16. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "self-relegation" stuff makes me laugh.

There is no pro/rel in the US today. And as of today, there is no USSF sanctioned 2nd Division league for 2011.

The only way the Rhinos made the wrong move is if the NASL gets sanctioned and the Rhinos lose key players (Roberts, Pitchkolan, Sanfilippo, etc.) to NASL clubs.

But, that is all TBD.

And as far as the "supporters" on the RhinosZone.com, a few guys members packed up their bags and devoted their hearts to the Red Bulls long before the Rhinos decided to flip flop back to the USL.

They just like to complain and this is just more fuel to their fire.

I've heard that Rob Clark was disappointed that the Stampede gave up mid-season after he tried to make tickets in the supporter's section so low that they wouldn't have the "too pricey" excuse when trying to recruit new members.

Rhinos till you die............or you get bored.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have serious doubts that Rhinos keep their budgets as high as it next year. Look for a lot of player changes. I am most nervous about where Lilley goes. He has shown he will work for less (MISL). But with possible options like Tampa, Miami or others maybe he is gone.

18. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been quotes from Bob saying this was the right move for the club.

It doesn't sound like he's leaving.

And as far as the player budget goes, the Rhinos have said that a lot of the players signed multi-year deals with the club.

It wouldn't surprise me if a bulk of the players are back next season.

The big question is how many guys can get jobs in MLS with two more teams joining MLS for next season......

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quotes where Jim Bob Rhino? Roch-Democrat?

20. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://blogs.democratandchronicle.c...n-orlando-could-mean-end-of-soccer-in-austin/

21. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, we had Rhinos defender Troy Roberts on Kick This! yesterday and he said he's thought about it a lot and that he doesn't see a big issue with playing in the USL PRO League.

Well, if he doesn't get an MLS gig, of course.

22. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    You know, this may not be such a bad idea. Does anyone besides me remember back to around 1995-98, when the so-called "Division 3" USISL Pro League was considered better than the A-League, and more or less proved it in the USOC? Maybe they didn't have the money the A-League had (like they had any either), but it seemed like the good players were going with the USISL at the time, and the A-League was just merely tolerated. It may end up that D3 may be the place to be in 2011, especially with teams like Rochester and Charleston in there.

23. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how the fans will react when NASL gets sanctioned?

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A few hard core fans might be annoyed, but the majority of ticket buying fans won't particularly care one way or the other.

Most niche/minor league sports attendees go to get out of the house and take in some entertainment.

If the D3 Rhinos get back to their winning ways, you'll see attendance go up.

25. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Wow, Atlanta's owners really have a net worth of $20 million?"

Or, you can ask Charleston's fanbase. They didn't seem to mind.