What Book Are You Reading Thread?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by sportscrazed2, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm up to the third or fourth season of the TV show, so this is just a recap and lore pickup.

2. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just started reading The War Against All Puerto Ricans by Nelson Antonio Denis. Not based on current events, even if the title could have been plucked from today's headlines.

3. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of school books.

4. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just finished Erik Larson's "Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania" and for some reason it reminded me of the Chicago Fire in the Hauptman Era.

xtomx repped this.
  5. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone ever read the Robin Hobb Assassin Books? I finished the first 3 and not sure if I want to skip the ones without the Assassin guy in them.

6. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I ordered 5 volumes of Spider-Gwen from Amazon.
    Just started Volume 0.

7. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Daniel Silva: House of Spies.
    This guy is ridiculously good at illustrating how actual terrorist/nationstate/spies interact. To the point that he writes about terror attacks that happen before they do.

8. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I got my Ubooquity comic book server up and running. I can now read books from my home network on my phone via Kaboo or in a browser wherever I am in the world.

Currently reading Punisher 221 from 2018. Nick Fury loaned Frank Castle the War Machine armor and sent him to kill a bunch of fictional eastern Europeans. Noice.

9. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recently ordered up the entire Witcher series of books, I'll get to them some day.

(I used to read 3 books a week but my love of reading died a little inside when where I worked closed)

10. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Altered Carbon, The Expanse, and The Magicians, almost done with the 1st book in each.

I'm pleasantly surprised to find the TV versions are all as good or better than the books.

The Magicians TV show seems way better, mostly due to a small age shift of the primary characters.

I like the changes Netflix/Altered Carbon made from the book, but find them pretty much of equal quality.

The Expanse book is slightly better than the TV series so far, is expected ways - the TV show focuses on the Space Opera facet, while the characters have more depth in the book.

this may all fall by the wayside now that my Wife bought us the complete Calvin and Hobbes box set.

LIZZIE and GHjelm repped this.
  11. Mac97

Mac97 Member+

Jul 15, 2014
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Way cool!

Very way cool!

GHjelm repped this.
  12. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's awesome. :thumbsup:

13. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America by Jill Leovy.

Pretty incredible book, so far.

14. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    it's freakin gorgeous.

The Sunday panels could hang in the Art Institute.

15. LIZZIE

LIZZIE BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read all three Magicians books, and they are so different from the TV show. Both good in their own way.

Love Calvin and Hobbes

C and H.jpg

I am reading Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano mysteries,

lethargytartare and GHjelm repped this.
  16. rogerinIL3

rogerinIL3 Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just finished rereading the first and third books of the Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson which is about the US Army in the European Theater in WWII.

The first book, An Army at Dawn, covers the period from US entry into the war until the completion of the victory in North Africa. It documents the first time the Army went into battle with an army without any experience fighting a war. There was a lot to learn about fighting battles and finding effective leadership. There were a lot of hard lessons to be learned, winnowing out of incompetence, the growth of the generals and soldiers that would lead us to final victory, and how the British and Americans struggled to learn to fight together..

The third and final volume, The Guns at Last Light , covers the period from the build up to D-Day through the final surrender of Germany. It covers the invasion of France by two competent fighting forces, the problems of fighting on such a huge scale as the American Army grew to be the predominate fighting force (3/4 of all the troops fighting in France and Germany were American), and the struggles of Eisenhower to keep the alliance together especially the intrigues of the British..

The second volume, The Day of Battle , is also good. It covers the invasions of Sicily and Italy and the campaign in Italy. But the desperate fighting that ensued which resembled the trench warfare of WWI was a bit depressing, so I decided to skip it.

17. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I don't think I've mentioned that I bought all of the Spider-Gwen volumes and read all of them and thought they were amazing. Recently just tried to do the same for Gwenpool and I absolutely love it. Stopped at the end of vol 2 because I'm waiting for 3 to come in.

18. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    We started watching the TV show, and liked it so much my wife bought us the books, but by then the characters were firmly in my head as young-adult college kids, and the books have them as more whiny teenagers. I started not enjoying the stark differences while the show and the books were roughly at the same plot points and took a break from the books.

I'm finding the book easier to like now that I started over and the book is several years behind the show.

LIZZIE repped this.
  19. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I found a manga about a girls' soccer team called "Farewell, My Dear Cramer".

I'm surprised at how smart about soccer the writer is and am absolutely loving all the references within it. It's written by the same guy who wrote "Your Lie in April" if any of you know that anime. It's in the Crunchy Roll manga collection, so you have to have a premium account to read it; but if you can find it somewhere else check it out.

20. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just finished Bourbon County Stout and Selling Out, and now I really want some Bourbon County. Might see me in the What Are You Drinking Thread later today.

21. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Member+

Jul 30, 2008
    Mordor, Middle Earth
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow long time no see. Decided to Google some series I used to read and low and behold a new Red Rising book came out 2 months ago? Hell yeah. Will see if I remember anything

22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I just finished "Dark Money" by Jane Mayer.
    Before that it was "Democracy in Chains."

The two books together show just how screwed we are, with super rich, radical libertarian jagoffs rigging government and democracy against us.

23. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Finished the first volume of Komi-san Can't Communicate and am onto the second volume of Kaguya-sama: Love is War. Loved the anime, heard the manga had even more.

My mom watches anime and reads manga sometimes, but she's mostly into the shonen genre (Full Metal Alchemist and Attack on Titan are her shows). I'm slowly trying to get her into slice of life by giving her the manga I finish reading from the library.

24. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    for fiction fans, the novels coming out of Two Dollar Radio press in Columbus are all killer

particularly recommend The Deeper the Water, the Uglier the Fish

25. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I've been reading the manga for Domestic na Kanojo.

The plot is absolute trash, but the the delivery of the story is absolute genius.