What are the USL Franchise Costs?

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by BenficaFan15, Jan 17, 2009.

1. BenficaFan15

BenficaFan15 New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Does anybody have specific information into the costs it takes to buy a franchise for either the USL-1, USL-2 or PDL teams? I'm looking into the information and potential investors in the area and I was looking for costs. Also, stadiums, required? How big? etc... Thanks all

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is some info for you.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/aboutusl/franchise/index_E.html

http://www.uslsoccer.com/aboutusl/franchise/123541.html

good luck and keep us in the loop.

Mikey

3. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, from the link that was provided it gives a rante of 75 k to 750k for franchise price. So from this I guess we can assume that a PDL franchise is 75K and a USL 1 is 750k. I wonder how much W-League and USL 2 are?

There are variable estimated initial investments for each league. The initial franchise fee range is $75,000 to $750,000 (depending on league). Average operating budgets for the USL First Division range from $2M- $2.5M, USL Second Division range from $600K - $1M, the USL Premier Development League range from $100K - $200K, and the USL W-League from $75K to $150K. League administrative and affiliation fees vary from league to league.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought USL costs just went up in August?

As in USL1 franchise costs now are over $1 million, not just $750,000 any more?

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

they went up from $300K to $750 for USL D1 teams in Oct.

6. BenficaFan15

BenficaFan15 New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think i found a link supporting 500K as the franchise fee for a USL-2 team. I'm trying to put numbers together now and trying to find out how much each team generates in sponsorships and whatnot. If anybody has any info, of course, post it here. Thanks again,

7. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    $500,000 sounds way too high as the ENTRY COST or FRANCHISE FEE for a USL-2 team.

That differs from the money you need to operate the team, of course (which differs from market to market). Sounds like some people here are getting the two mixed up.

Mikey correctly notes that the USL-1 fee just went up to $750,000. What are the fees for USL-2 and PDL? (Sure I can find that somewhere, but asked just in case someone deserves to beat me to it)

8. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was 250k this fall for a USL 2 team, 750k for USL, 75k for PDL and I believe 35-50k for W-League

9. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benfica, where are you looking to put a team?

10. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as venues go, there is a list of minimum standards. I know that the minimum capacity for USL-1 is 5,000; USL-2 is 3,500 and PDL is 1,000. Got this from a franchise information packet a year or so ago from the league. If you want more specific information, the people at the league are more than willing to give it to you.

Some guesswork on my part. This is the web site in Benfica's signature: http://www.filsflowers.com/Home_Page.php. It goes to a flower shop in Fall River, Massachusetts. For those who don't know, Fall River is the eigth largest city in Mass. with a population of a little over 91,000 according to the 2000 U.S. Census. It is part of the Providence, RI metropolitan area which has 1.6 million people.

Oh and its wikipedia page said the city has a rich soccer history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_River,_MA#Sport.

My guess is Providence, RI. For USL it would make geographical rivals with Monreal and Rochester, but I think could fit better in USL-2 as far as geography goes. But that's what a little goofing aroung on Google maps will get ya.

11. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A possible return of the Fall River Marksmen? I'd support that!

12. BenficaFan15

BenficaFan15 New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yea I'm looking into Southern New England. Probably connecitcut or rhode island. It is looking pretty bleak for investors right now. I had like 3 drop out over the last 6 months. We'll see what happens. Probably a long term goal with the economy the way it is.

13. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish you all the best. Same thing here as far as investors are concerned. It's a sad thing, but most people would rather invest in something else.

14. Felixx

Felixx New Member

Jan 12, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will that be credit or debit sir?

15. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Awesome! I'm originally from RI. Keep plugging and hopefully the economy turns around. And if you do start a team in Providence, please please go with the RI or Providence Reds.

But even I'd admit CT would be the logical choice. I'd love to see the Revs play in the USOC in New Britian as an away team for once. :)

16. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'm with Chowda and would love to see a team here, but......... be careful. We already have a team in the PDL, the RI Stingrays. They play at the Providence College soccer field. Before that they played in East Prov and sometimes they played games in Cranston. The one commonality of all the games was there was between 80-250 people in each games.

I went down about 3 weeks ago to the Stingrays v Ottawa game. Friday night game, not too hot, not too cold, no mosquitos (yet), free parking...... 200 people.

They've been playing for 8 years too. The only game where they got more people out than 400 was (ironically) vs Benfica in or around 2004 when Benfica came and played in the USA, they also played the NE Revs.

I wish you all the success in the world but something is keeping fans away, USL teams have failed in Boston, Hartford (New Britain) and Cape Cod. Kraft is drawing poorly for MLS. You'd think we'd have a great soccer legacy around here but.............. I don't know whats wrong. None of the guys I work with or know are remotely interested in going to any game.

Good luck and please keep us in the loop.

17. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on another thread made an interesting point. In summer, we New Englanders tend to take advantage of the heat by going to the shore or festivals and leaving the cities. But then again, the Red Sox have no problem drawing people all summer long. I think professional soccer in New England can work, it just needs to be done correctly.

18. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Gioca - I really really really really want to believe you.

But something is odd. None of my friends have been to a Revs game. None went to the World Cup, none go to see the Stingrays, nobody even remotely remembers the Boston Bulldogs, Cape Cod Crusaders or Connecticut Wolves.

One watched the Championship game a couple of years ago when the Revs lost. One single friend has caught one single game on tv. His sole comment on the game to me was he was surprised that Robert Kraft went to the game as a Patriots game was the same day and he couldn't have gone to both.

I want it to work in New England. I must confess, I look enviously at Toronto and Seattle that have a real atmosphere. I think the Kraft family has been beyond fair in supporting the Revs but...........something isn't adding up.

I don't think its as simple as saying "it has to be done right".

I'm starting to think the reason the English, Irish, Portugese, French-Canadians, Spanish and Latino's all left their home and moved to New England over the last 200 years is they all hated football/futbol/soccer. I just can't think of any other reason.

19. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really. I think most people I know (under 40 years old) who are sports fans have some interest in soccer. Over 40 years old, they mostly have no interest in it. But pretty much all of them support European soccer in some way and none are that interested in domestic leagues. I have friends on Facebook talking about Barcelona or Italy but nobody mentions MLS. I think soccer fans think they're above the Revolution and the way they present themselves. I was a season ticket holder for the Connecticut Wolves. They had an announcer making comments throughout the game in Michael Buffer style. It was awful. This part of the country connects with Europe more than any other part. I do think the right way to do it here is as traditional as possible.

20. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Benfica fan,

If you are serious about a USL team in CT, I would suggest you get in touch with the BigSoccer user known as PanicFC, he may be able to offer you some advice and point you in the right direction, as he worked on a project similar to yours.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and probably tell you not to do it. ;)

22. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably a good idea to have a real plan and some backers instead of no plan/no backers....but an active website and discussion forum.

23. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Does anyone know anything about USL Franchise operating costs? I wonder how much they pay out in salaries, front office, stadium fees, etc.

24. Chuckywg100

Chuckywg100 New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Sandy Hook, CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The Ct Wolves failed because the city of New Britain owned the team, which was in debt when they purchased it, and they didn't want to fund it with city funds anymore. Attendance was actually pretty good when they folded. I did see on the NPSL site, however, that a CT team is planned for next year from Tony DiCicco's camp. They already operate the CT Reds womens team in the WPSL, which plays in New Britain (outside of Hartford) so if this happens they may be there, who knows?

25. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I know that it doesn't help that the team plays in Foxborough. The commuter rail doesn't go down that far unless it's a Pats game, and it's becoming harder and harder to find rides down to the stadium. The Revs need to work out a deal that will help fans from the Greater Boston area get down there; Foxborough is just too far out of the way to be a viable venue for soccer.