What a Great Day for a ride!

Discussion in 'Cycling' started by cleansheetbsc, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This definitely does not belong in the "great day for a ride" thread. Sucks to hear of it. Glad the fam is doing ok, @cleansheetbsc.

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Sure it belongs. It WAS a great day for a ride. It was a great day for a ride gone bad.

3. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    :thumbsup:

Seriously, great to hear!

4. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news. Glad their both OK.

5. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to hear that everyone is ok. And despite the fact that the police were apparently not up-to-speed, I'm glad the driver is getting the book thrown at her.

6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Back to regular programming. Took my new bike out for 40 miles in 45 degree temps 20-25 mph winds. Brutal day to ride. Sooo slow. Love the new bike, though it needs some fine-tuning. Near bonked the last few miles. Took nothing to eat and spent three hours out, climbed 2500 ft. Could barely turn over the pedals as I neared home.

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Reached 2,000 miles for the year for the 2nd year in a row. Very excited about it this year due to a really poor time the first half of the year. October and November were both over 200 miles for the month which is historically odd for me.

aveslacker, Dead Fingers and panicfc repped this.
  8. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got back on my bike in February, but only on the trainer. Less stress on my wallet (tires, etc), easier for me to do whenever I want.

Lost about 15 lbs. Injured my knee in May. Had knee surgery in June, gained 15 lbs.

Got back on the bike in late June. Lost 20 lbs.

Been trying to ride 3-5 days a week, usually only 30-45 minute rides, but I think I've done almost a 1k on the trainer, which is some sort of record ;)

9. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1k on a trainer? You're a braver man than I. :)

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  10. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its not easy, but I don't have enough cold weather gear, and then with the surgery I couldn't risk any other injuries.

When I lived in CT I think I did 2,600 and 2,200 back to back. Most of that was summer riding, 100 plus per week for a few months.

One year in CT I did about 800 on my trainer, but that my first real winter there.

11. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How's the knee holding up? Getting my ACL replaced was a watershed moment for me.

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knee is great. Probably need a clean up on the right knee soon. It was just a meniscus tear, but they saw arthritis building up, and drilled holes in my knee joint to allow for blood flow and stem cells to rejuvenate the knee. Now it feels great.

The right knee developed some jumpers knee from playing volleyball on one leg basically), but I started wearing a sleeve, riding the bike and adding some leg extensions and now it feels much better.

aveslacker repped this.
  13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I've had two ACL surgeries in the last 6 years. Took about 8 weeks before I started casual riding. The only thing that concerns me is that my quads are more developed than the hammies (much more riding than soccer playing) which causes stress on the ligaments (my theory-no medical backup).

1000 miles on a trainer. Damn. I have about 60 for the year. Though I have Alpe-d'Huez stage still on the DVR from last summer. One of these days I'm going to drop Teejay on the second ascent.

My son did 25 minutes on his bike with the xbox in front of him. Even with Xbox, he got bored.

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is a small chance we could move back to CT. The riding is much better there than in Bama, despite the weather.

15. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to hear. Got to keep those knees in good shape.

16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I made a statement to my family a few weeks ago that I won't waste my life anymore watching 1:00 PM NFL games. Even as a Jets fan, I skipped the first 3 qtrs of yesterday's game to go for a 25 mile, 90 minute ride. Cloudy and 26 degrees. Came home with some frozen parts. 2,027 miles YTD. 20 more miles to surpass last year.

aveslacker, panicfc and Dead Fingers repped this.
  17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Temps are supposed to be under 20 degrees the rest of the week. Unless I get on the trainer tonight or tomorrow, the year is over. Got one last suckfest 33 mile solo ride in Saturday morning as the temps hovered at a balmy 40 degrees. Finish the year at 2,103 miles and 77,000+ ft of elevation climbing. Hoping for 2,200-2,300 miles and 80,000+ ft of elevation gain in 2014.

aveslacker and Dead Fingers repped this.
  18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Friggin snowstorms. Flight to Florida yesterday was cancelled. Lost my Saturday and Sunday rides on the ocean. Flying out tomorrow night. Will get 5 days in next M-F.

19. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. With the frigid weather and snow and ice covered streets I haven't been on the bike for three weeks. This has been a terrible winter.

20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, I got 162 miles in for the five days in Florida. Pretty much same route each day on A1A. North was fast, south was slow. Warm southwest wind all week. Thursday and Friday were soul-crushing winds. Essentially a 15 mile climb.

21. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Reality. Northeast winter ain't ending. In honor of March, I did one mile outside today for each degree on the Garmin themometer. 27 degrees, 27 miles.

Came home and christened my new repair stand to clean off my cyclecross bike.

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Snowing again! Back to the trainer tonight.

23. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    The big melt is going on here. Potholes galore!

24. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    First (of hopefully many) early morning rides of the season today. 5:20 AM. Flashing lights. 48 degrees. 20 miles in 1hr and 10 minutes.

Dead Fingers repped this.
  25. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    17+ mph. Nice pace.

Raining this morning so I wussed out and took the car. Also, I had my work laptop with me so I can use that to rationalize. ;)