We've signed three players now! The Summer 19 Transfer Thread II

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by EruditeHobo, Aug 6, 2019.

1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't really seem like Fernandes is going anywhere, went 90 on Sunday.

2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/jurgen-klopp-explains-liverpool-not-18856012

Jurgen talking sense as usual.
    "People think that players from other clubs, other countries, are better than the players we have here but without really having the proof, because those players haven't played here, or whatever else. It's just that what is new is seen as more exciting. It's like with a new car. Your old car is completely reliable, but you want a new one and two weeks later it breaks down. It looks better, but obviously it's not that good."

soccershaggy repped this.
  3. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Klopp on Keita: “He looks completely different to a year ago. He is really settled in the team now. Completely different body language now.”

This is as exciting as a new signing for me. I'm so ready for Naby to have a huge season. He can take us to another level and be better than all the players that United, Spurs, and Arsenal are being linked to.

4. Upper Ninety

Upper Ninety Member

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Well here is your chance Liverpool players do you have a rare situation where the manager is putting full faith in you to continue forth with minimal changes in the roster

5. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Liverpool got 97 points and won the European Cup in a season where they got very little out of Keita, Ox, Shaqiri, and Joe Gomez. There is also Brewster who is an emerging talent and Origi’s confidence is at an all time high. All of our key contributors from last season are at a prime age and hungry for more trophies. I would have liked to see us make a signing, but there are plenty of reasons to believe that we can be improved without any new arrivals.

6. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    One for next season, then. Also, Dybala looks as if he is staying put at Juventus. It will be interesting to watch both this season.

I hear tell we actually made about £37 million net profit in player sales this window o_O

7. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    In his first season at Manchester City, Bernardo Silva hardly played and made very little impact. In his second season he was one of the very best players in Europe.

We have Keita (and maybe Shaqiri) who could do a similar thing now that they are completely settled at the club. It also took Fabinho half of a season before he started playing regularly. He can now continue to get better this season.

LiverpoolFanatic and CB-West repped this.
  8. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Far too sensible sentiments. We're meant to be fulminating at the lack of big-name signings.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I fulminated quite a bit after breakfast. feel a lot better now.

LiverpoolFanatic and Red Bird repped this.
  10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ryan Kent going nowhere ... hmmmm ....

11. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That’s interesting about Kent.

12. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention Pogba! Who technically could still be prised away considering the European window isn't closed, right? Seems it would have to be an astronomical figure for United to allow that being unable to buy a replacement.

13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree totally about Keita emerging in that manner and am 50-50 about Shaq and hold an about 75-25 opinion on AOC as being a likely major injection of newness to playmaking from deeper.....
    But the likelihood is dependent on how much they need to play. Our system, as it pans out for Klopp, doesn't need the same level of brilliance in midfield when the front three are on form. Mane, Firmino and Salah are lethally in tune at high speed. That's not really the same for Sane/Aguero/Sterling or Sterling/Aguero/Bernaro....
    And as for B. Silva - he has played a lot more this past year as David Silva was either rested more or dropped to play the really deeper playmaker when KDB was unavailable. The year before, well he wasn't going to get in as much with Sterling being Pep's favourite in that position, and no matter how good he was he wasn't going to oust either D. Silva or De Bruyne back then....
    The rather hidden point that I am getting at is that B. Silva (arguably City's best player last year) might not have been playing if D. Silva was 2 years younger and KDB was fit. So, for us it depends on how much Klopp wants his midfield to create.
    Frankly, for me, either of these two midfields is hard to pick the better one from for big games.
    Henderson, Fabinho, Keita
    Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Henderson
    Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Keita

14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gini, Fab, Naby is the best. Assuming Naby gets going in the way that we all think he should.

Hendo in for Gini is a close 2nd.

15. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or a fully fit Ox.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly it's more attacking. I'd rather have Hendo there than Ox. But I seem to be lower on Ox than most of the board. However, if he could come consistently close to replicating his first 8 months for the club, I'd think that's probably the best CM.

That said Gini/Ox/Hendo/Milner in that 3rd CM spot is all pretty good, gonna likely be based on form and fitness more than anything. Tactics come into it at some point obviously.

17. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably should have fumigated after you fulminated!

Wingtips1 repped this.
  18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    always recommended. :)

19. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He can still be loaned out.

20. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It seems we'll be signing Lonergan to a shot term contract as cover for Adrian until Alisson is fit.

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    https://www.caughtoffside.com/2019/...cup-after-alisson-picks-up-injury-vs-norwich/

22. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rumours continue to swirl about Lovren to Italy (Milan, Roma etc.)

23. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Don't know that we'll sanction that, especially at the 20m euros that's being quoted.

24. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have said no chance as well given Gomez, Matip, AND Lovren's injury history - but the CB pairing seems to be a spot where it's hard to dislodge a pairing that is working.

We might simply not see enough games in the future for Lovren, we may not want to lose the fee (a la Alderweireld) and Klopp and Co. might really really be impressed with Van Den Berg and Hoever thinking that they can do the job as the 4th CB.

Risky to me.

25. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's how I see it, too. As you said, it's quite risky but Lovren's availability has been quite dodgy over his Liverpool career.