WEURO 2017 - SF2 - Netherlands vs England

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by blissett, Aug 1, 2017.

?

Who's going to advance to the final?

Poll closed Aug 3, 2017.
  1. Netherlands

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. England

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not sure what you meant... I was referring to Bronze's shameful dive in the box.

You were talking about her attitude vs Van de Donk? Or what else? :cautious:

2. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    LOL

3. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    The Movement World Rankings have been shaken upside down several times over the past week or two.

1.) Australia
    2.) Netherlands
    3.) USA
    4.) Denmark
    5.) England
    6.) Canada
    7.) Austria
    8.) Japan
    9.) Italy
    10.) Spain
    11.) Brazil
    12.) Cameroon

Germany, France, Sweden, and certainly Norway, are still sitting outside the Top 12.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ok, if I learnt to know you, Netherlands and Denmark are soon going to switch places.... :x3::x3::x3:

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Looks like, after all, despite the on-screen text during the game, it was officially assigned as an own-goal to Millie Bright (see Euro 2017 official website).

So, winning Golden Boot became nigh impossible for Martens: in this Dutch team always scoring with different players, even a brace was a stretch of imagination; I really can't see a hat-trick.

They probably wanted to spare bright's mom for a moment, then they sitted her calmly and they revealed it actually was an own-goal by her daughter. :(

6. Okay, given the Europe wide egg scare we caused now I get uncomfortable:eek:

7. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think England was causing problems with its heavy press and the fitness of the England girls team was very apparent at stages in the game. Luckily Groenen and van de Donk are quite technical and smart in midfield and were able to evade the press fairly well at times but it definitely was causing problems for the defence and forwards. Realistically the Netherlands didn't create THAT many chances and a lot of that was down to England's style of running non-stop.

The main problem is that if you allow Groenen and Donk space in the middle they will take it and control the game fairly well, as well as pick out some really nice passes. If you clog up the middle and try to bully them out of the game then you have wide players Martens and Sanden who are both very good, technical and direct enough to trust to provide a wide threat in the event that the middle isn't an option.

The best way to beat this Netherlands team is to do what England were doing IMO and doing an all out heavy press on the defenders and fullbacks to try and force turnovers. That's where all of England's best chances came from IMO.

blissett repped this.
  8. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    My point is that fitness for football can be improved by playing football games in training....while at the same time improving the players skill level and understanding of the game. 'Fitness' training may improve fitness levels but will do nothing to help football skills, game sense and field awareness. Take lap running for example: Not only is running laps not beneficial for footballers it is actually detrimental as it trains the muscles to operate in a manner they are not required to do in a game.....there is no point in a game where you are running at a steady pace for 25 minutes or so (lap running).

Here is one of the games we play in training: 9 vs 9 half pitch, possession only. Players can take as many touches as they like but only score a point for their side when they make a successful one touch pass to a team mate. First to 50 points wins. I count for one team, my assistant counts for the other. The game may last 20 minutes or so and end 50-48. The girls are running their arses off, having a blast, playing the game while improving, skill, fitness and game sense at the same time.

gricio61 repped this.
  9. applepie71

applepie71 Red Card

Oct 17, 2016
    This post is pretty good stuff in hindsight.

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  10. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    The obvious answer is...Not Very...