WEST GERMANY vs NETHERLANDS Italia 1990

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Excape Goat, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This game is not an forgotten, great game, but it is not as well-known as Brazil-France(1986), Argentina-England(1986), West Germany-France(1982). Italy-Brazil(1982), etc.

-- The German-Netherlands rivalry was probably at its peak. They met at Euro 1988 and then, at the WCQers in 1990. The match at Euro 1988 was brutal. Van Bastien, Gullit and Rijkaard played for AC Milan while Klinsmann, Matthaues and Brehme for Inter Milan. It was at the peak of Serie A. Plus, the match was played in San Siro. The match was not equal to Argentina-England(1986), but the stage was a collusion between two heated rivalries at the "home" stadium. The backdrop was there.

-- Netherlands was the European Champion, a title won in West Germany. they finished ahead of Wesrt Germany at the WCers, but they struggled at Group stage. West Germany destroyed Yugoslavia and UAE on their first two matches before drawing Valderama's Colombia.

-- Then, during the match, the Rijkaard-Voller incident became one of the most controversial incident in the WC Finals since Rattin in 1966 and before Zidane in 2006.

-- Brehme scored one of the greatest goals of Italia 1990. The WC Finals happened to be one of the dullest in history. This game stood among one of the best.

Pipiolo, bayern15 and Gregoriak repped this.
  2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't feel this was a great match, particularly because the Netherlands never got going. The send off of Rikjaard hurt them more than Voeller for West Germany, in addition that they had yet to hit stride in the tournament. West Germany vs England was a far better match.

giles varley repped this.
  3. Ahmad Sraj

Ahmad Sraj New Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Syria
    Germany - Netherlands .. the name itself is a classic one.
    it is always considered as one of best rivalries in football history, mainly because of the final of 74.
    even nowadays, I like it when they face each other.

4. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    I think I have seen this game cited as one of the few good games the 1990 WC offered, along with Argentina-Italy and West Germany-England.

5. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can remember this game like it was yesterday. Me and my mates all hoping for a dutch win and an epic match . But like pip says - the dutch were disappointing in 1990. I can recall being disappointed by italia '90 as a whole. I dont regard this game as a classic. But It should have been.

Pipiolo repped this.