Wenger stepping down at the end of the season. Who will take the reins?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by thebigman, Apr 20, 2018.

1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't know who to believe here.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's an endless dance because organsations will continue to brief journalists on background or off the record, then denying having done so.

It's one of the oldest games in politics for example.

Super Llama repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #753 The Jitty Slitter, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Honess wanted Tuchel but KHR did not want him. Then Hoeness tried to extend Jupp while keeping Tuchel as his side piece - but then Tuchel turned Bayern down as he had run off with PSG. So over the course of this mad dance, all kinds of inconsistent things were briefed to media, with Bayern ultimately behaving like a jealous boyfriend (according to SZ).

So it is difficult if on the one hand Journos are told stuff by Hoeness privately who then says other things in public.

Honigstein has frequently pointed out that lots of what fans claim as fake news has actually been briefed by clubs

I agree the ITK twitter accounts are worthless

e.g. Le Grove, Horse, Arseblog, Afcamden etc

4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    FWIW Arseblog - referencing two unnamed journalists is claiming the club was trailing Arteta as its pick right until the end

Let's face it - all this Arteta noise was coming from somewhere

5. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Its stupid to say these fake club insiders are idiots. Gotcha!

That Ornstein piece you quoted said effing Allegri was in the mix, lol.

I am not saying Gazidis is being 100% honest at all. I am not a fool.

But our thirst for information makes us susceptible to the fools who are just making up stuff.

there is a middle here, but I believe the club more than ThePlug or the Mole or AFCamden, or TheHorse or Arseblog. (who had a live show saying it was Arteta only at the same time Emery was confirmed.)

That dweeb FKhange actually put a tweet out saying the club has no interest in Emery and then it was confirmed to be Emery like 2 hours later.

They may have some information, but the rest is filling in their narratives.

what does this even mean?

Those journalists don't work for the club, and the English have a very low standard with their sports journalists.

crazy150 repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #756 The Jitty Slitter, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    It's stupid to imply that journalists who cover the club are idiots. Or maybe he only meant the twitterati I don't know.

But slagging journos who cover the beat is never a clever start

Nevertheless the most likely reason everyone was so hot on Arteta is because that is what they were told.

The lack of stories about Emery by contrast, indicates that nothing was leaked about him

Anyway - life moves on

7. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I hate the term fake news... That is all for now.

Tonerl and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's possible they were using Arteta as a smokescreen, but why do that? It's not as if Emery was the hottest manager on the market and there was fierce competition for him, so there's no need for misinformation.

I feel like Gazidis changing his mind still seems like the most logical explanation - there was so much smoke around Arteta from so many different sources that there had to be some basis to it. I'm not doubting the explanation that Emery wowed Gazidis, Mislintat, and Sanllehi, but that interview apparently happened two weeks ago, and tape of how Emery's teams played matters much more than the interview, in my opinion: track record counts for more than interviewing for more experienced candidates. The club's accounts just seem a little strange.

Big picture, I get the skepticism about "ITK" accounts, and its well taken: these guys aren't journalists with established ethical standards/standards, and even if they are being truthful, there's no guarantee that their sources aren't feeding them misinformation. But every single supposed ITK was saying that Arteta was pretty much done: that only makes sense if they are all laying, or if all their sources are lying. It doesn't add up.

Super Llama repped this.
  9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Really effective piece of propaganda by Trump, to be honest.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. I wonder if Putin coached him on this. ;)

cantona94 repped this.
  11. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you read what Gary Neville said to press/Twitter, Arsenal went to several coaches...so the part about having 8 finalists make sense. A smokescreen is apt too since you don't want your top choice poached away. Arteta was probably one of the top 3 choices. I do not recall Ornacle saying a word about him. So, it makes no sense to say now that Gazidis backed out at the last min.

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    End of the day who cares? Wild speculation is female behaviour

NorthBank repped this.
  13. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I think it’s fair to suspect there was some back and forth. But I don’t think this speaks to a failure in the process.

I just listened to arseblog interview with ornstein himself who admits that his info was sparse and points the public reading into his and others articles too much. A good listen for anyone who thinks that everything he reports about arsenal comes from the club heirachy. It doesn’t.

If I had to create my own narrative based on what we have heard, it would be this. We know that gazidis was pretty tight with arteta, and he seems to have wanted him to stay. But AW didn’t want that or arteta chose the opportunity at city—not sure which. Either way, I’d guess that when they booted AW, gazidis was pushing arteta heavily. He interviewed well and the place was buzzing with leaks about arteta being the favorite.

Possibly sven and Raul might have been less impressed since their contact/history with arteta was a lot less than Ivan, and since arteta has zero experience and is #3 at city—just speculation though.

Emery interviews on the 10th (Thursday) and Ivan said they held interviews through the 15th. We’ve heard that Emery blew them away with his presentation. My guess is that if doubt crept into gazidis mind about arteta, now that there is a pretty solid alternative these doubts became manifest. Either that or sven/Raúl changed his mind.

It’s also likely that they had a second round with the top 2/3–maybe that’s the post Emery interviews Ivan talked about. If that happened, seems arteta could not put their concerns to rest and they went with Emery.

Not saying this is how it went down, but it’s juet as likely as any other I’ve heard.

14. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That only matters if there was realistic competition for Emery. Doesn't look like there was.

15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    o_O

casoccerdad47, Tonerl and danielh repped this.
  16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    NorthBank repped this.
  17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wasn't paying attention - yesterday was rough.

If all of that's true, that's a rather efficiently executed executive search that's only marred by ineffective PR.

Again, if you believe him.

NorthBank repped this.
  19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Either way we have a good coach

Who cares about opinions and media bullshit and the clown itks??

We are obsessed with minute details these days

Emery is a clever dude, has done well at a few sides and he should make us better

The end

20. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Needing resolution is such a female move

cantona94, danielh, Quentin and 3 others repped this.
  21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Because it breaks up the monotony.

22. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I don’t k ow why he would lie except to cover himself. He only needs to cover himself if he did something wrong or poorly. Even if he changed his mind after interviewing Emery, why would that be bad. It’s only bad if he planted the arteta stories. Ornstein said that the club kept really tight lips on this process.

It could simply be that because they were so good at keeping things secret, but somehow something slipped about arteta (maybe from his camp). With only smoke in artetas camp, the press ran with it.
    Two anonymous journalist with anonymous sources. Sounds like a high standard to me.
    Ornstein on arsblog basically admitted that he didn’t have much to go on and I think it’s clear if you actually read the article.

I realize that PR people tickle journos taints with off the record teasers. Upper level people plant stories (e.g. smoke screens etc). I also understand that at some point in the process leaks are likely as low level people get wind of movement or agents plant stories.

But when the CEO of a public company holds a presser and gives me detailed account with dates and numbers of candidates along with affirmative declarations like “no candidates withdrew their candidacy” and “no one knew anything” except the three of them. I’m inclined to believe him. He wasn’t being vague like the reporting of “the feeling at the club is”.

Either way, I would have thought we’d learned our lessons from the past—wait til you see it on arsenal.com but I guess not.

NorthBank and maskito repped this.
  23. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    So Emery was this hot commodity to the point that Arsenal had to cover their tracks in fear of him being scooped up by another club. Thats hilarious

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liked your post. But I'm not sure I'd hold Arsenal up as a typical public corporation?

25. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I like the term, I hate the application.

There are some online commentators in Australia that sit on both sides of politics and they post stuff that is completely factually incorrect, and when people post corrections they block them or delete it. Complete horseshit, and completely fake. So when they post their "news" which is actually an opinion that is blatantly wrong, they deserve the label fake news. Its basically a slur as it should be.

The problem is Dorito President calls everything he disagrees with fake news.

cantona94 repped this.