Well, There's This: DC United vs D.A.R. :: Sun 6/21/15 :: 5pm Local

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JayRockers!, Jun 19, 2015.

1. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    A long ways from goal, but Aguilar was trying to turn Neumann and move into the box. Neumann just looked like a forward trying to play defense.

Boloni86 and The Cold Sea repped this.
  2. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correction. You KNOW Doyle would not have been that aggressive EVER in a game.
    And if he was, no one would foul him because he wouldn't be dangerous.
    I'm still not sure why he starts games or gets significant minutes.
    I've seen him be serviceable at times. That's about the extent of it.

Boloni86, The Cold Sea and bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except, he clearly did get frustrated. After DC had equalized and had started pouring on the pressure, it was pretty clear that he got sick of the rest of the team's inability to get him the ball in a scoring position and for a little while, he pretty clearly either tried to take the ball in himself or refused to pass the ball to anyone inside the box. It started when DeLeon ran into some space and had Espindola wide open and making a run into the center of the 18 and instead of giving him the ball DeLeon just kept running until he was dispossessed. It didn't last too long and I think he got his head back when he got some service from Rolfe, but there were 5-10 minutes where he clearly didn't trust DeLeon, Aguilar/Doyle, Korb, or Kemp.

On the one hand, I don't want to be too harsh on the guy - the team is leaning pretty heavily on him and Espindola is a goalscorer who most of the time has to play as a provider because otherwise the ball never gets to a dangerous place; I can see how that would be frustrating. On the other hand, it is disappointing and I am hoping that Olsen really is the manager-of-players that he reputed to be because it would be a real shame to lose Espindola's productivity and abilities at this point.

Winoman and Boloni86 repped this.
  4. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Horrible 1st half.

Better second and most importantly 3 pts.!

Great crowd!

Great Father's Day gift!

5. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't trust NDL either. His decisions in the final 3rd are terrible.

And yesterday was one of Korb's worst games in a while.

Points are all that matters.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  6. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pleasantly surprised on the exchange that led to Rolfe's first goal. NDL's interchange with Espindola was good, and he didn't have to give credit to the defender(s) this time. :D

I still won't say he's "getting it" yet, mind, when it comes to linking up with the forwards or scoring opportunities, but he is one of the very few who can consistently get us through the midfield into the attacking third without just a hopeful longball.

But, yeah, yay points!

Winoman, griffin1108 and Oveki8 repped this.
  7. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

If you're stupid enough to foul a player who's dribbling as if he's going out of the box, then you deserve to have that called a PK.

8. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm not disagreeing, but when it gets to the point that he stops making runs when NDL has the ball or won't pass the ball to him, it becomes a problem. And while we might feel that points are all that matter, I worry that Espindola may become less willing to create opportunities for other players if he feels like they aren't willing or able to do the same for him. Which is selfish, but the guy is a striker and quite a good one - he expects to score goals. I've never been a striker or played at a serious level, but I assume that assists are to goals as methadone is to heroin.

Boloni86 repped this.
  9. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Agreed on all points. NDL is simply overthinking his situations. His athleticism and ability on the ball are crucial for this team to succeed. i just wish as do all of us that he finishes his runs with workable passes or attempts on goal.

Yes, Korb didn't have one of his better games but he saved the 3 points with his sliding toe-poke off of Scott Caldwell who was lining up a free shot at the penalty spot 2 minutes into stoppage time.

Points are all that matter because this team has still yet to put together a full 90-minute performance 18 games into the season. we probably have to accept the fact that this is a flawed team offensively that for better or worse seems to capitalize on results a lot more than giving them away.

Not exactly a bad flaw to have, but i sure would like to see more rhythm offensively. if they do that, then they could really be a very good team..

Winoman, JRHokie and bigredfutbol repped this.
  10. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes I saw that whole sequence as well and while Espy got frustrated, I thought he was dead in his rights to be so.
    NDL just put his head down and took off and while he hustles like crazy, you have to be smarter and get your head up to see what your teammates are doing. A nice simple chip towards the back post side of the box could have been threatening. Even if the defender cleared the ball it would have been more positive than a 15 yard mazy run and then dumping it back to the defensive end. DCU was taking charge of the game and Espy knew that we had to seize the momentum and stick to the Revs.

11. dcjeffc

dcjeffc Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I thought it was one of his most solid games this season. MLSsoccer doesn't have the ball possession statistics, but only 3 missed passes, 1 in the 2nd Minute and two long balls that are more likely clearances in the 83, 92 minutes. Much better than dribbling into a corner and kicking it to the defender's feet. Still not a finisher though.

stangspritzring repped this.
  12. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear ya, but don't share your feeling toward him.

He did do some diving when he was here but hey, he had been playing in Europe; it's more accepted there as part of the game than in MLS. He also probably (and understandably) had yet not come to grips with the fact that he was no longer the budding star that he was pre-accident. Some pouting ensued.

But he's not diving or pouting with the Revs, as far as I know. He's playing well, and he showed respect to DC fans yesterday.

I'm glad to see him doing well (expect when playing DCU). I like a good comeback story.

Winoman, pr0ner, JRHokie and 2 others repped this.
  13. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Maybe Espindola was quite a bit miffed at NDL but they did have a nice combination leading to the goal by Rolfe.

A back heel pass to space that NDL runs onto,
    NDL takes it to the corner,
    then comes back up the side before cutting into the middle (amidst many groans from the stands),
    then an unexpected dump into the box with the outside of his foot that Espindola runs onto,
    whose first touch to the corner draws a defender out of the middle (thereby creating space)
    and then has the time to loft a cross along the goal box
    that Rolfe (left all alone) volleys into the far post.

Winoman and freekickwiz repped this.
  14. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of you are decrying the "foul in the box is a penalty" rule when the player being fouled is headed out of the box and poses no threat. But if the ref were required to give penalties only when (1) in the box, and (2) clearly threatening to score you would have a nightmare on your hands. You would be requiring the ref to make a judgment call on a bang-bang situation. A referee already has to judge whether the contact is indeed worthy of being called a foul, and to ask him to also decide whether said foul in the box interrupted a scoring attempt is just too much. Better to stick with the rules as they are. Neumann made a stupid decision to foul Aquilar in the area when he was heading out of the box, and NE paid the price.

15. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I missed this because if someone was proposing that a ref needed to make this sort of judgement call then the poster deserves all of the scorn that can be served out. I thought what posters were saying is that it is straight dumb to foul a player that is headed out of the penalty area and is no real threat.

Real Mobile, stangspritzring and sitruc repped this.
  16. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Coming up to this game, I didn't have a great feeling about it. We've been out of form, and we still don't have that one big scorer that other teams' defenses say "uh-OH" about.

But on the drive up I-295 from the Wilson Bridge, I spotted a Bald Eagle flying over the Oxon Creek bay thats to the right of the highway- plus an immature Bald Eagle sitting up on a branch. Always a good omen.

A huge win in the Eastern standings. A six-point swing. If NE wins they sit one point behind us with a game in hand. Now its a SEVEN point advantage. Middle of the season and too much left to feel comfortable, but this is awfully good.

And now to decide who to use the B-squad against. Away against bottom dwelling Chicago after just two days rest, or away against a sleeping giant of Toronto on Saturday. Either way its definitely the B-Squad in the USOC at Philly after only another two-day rest.

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  17. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nice comeback in the second half. I'm still surprised when these happen and I don't know why. I'm like Lucille Bluth when Gene Parmesan shows up on Arrested Development. At any rate, Doyle...I don't get Doyle. Aguilar, I get him and I like the way he reads and plays. Funny moment with him and Espindola. He was expecting a ball back from him but one does not ask for the ball back from Espindola. Aguilar looked like he wanted to complain but just kind shrugged his shoulders in frustration.

Winoman repped this.
  18. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Just saw this posted......yes, thanks so much to my DCU friends for thinking of us, classy as always.

19. DangSkippy

DangSkippy Member+

Apr 28, 2009
    MoCo Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding the game in general, I thought that much of DC United's offense was begging for a player like (I believe) Hasti (is) - someone calm on the ball to slide it to Espindola or Rolfe when they're making runs or to have better awareness and move the ball across the field. I thought Rolfe and Espindola made a lot of good runs that weren't rewarded, either because no one had the vision to see them or executed them far too slowly and the passing lanes were closed down. Similarly, Korb and Kemp spent a fair amount of time being wide open and waving their arms while the ball languished in traffic on the opposite side or center of the field.
    That said, that does not at all mesh with DC's defense. FWIW, DC held what has been a fairly dynamic NE offense to a single goal. I understand that that does not always make for the most attractive soccer, but the stats bear out that DC's defense is pretty effective. However, the number of times that Arnaud was back between the centerback, either to break high pressure or to provide cover was significant. I'm not sure at all that that is Halsti's game, so I can sort of understand why Olsen is hesitant to play him.
    I know that Halsti isn't a number ten, but if he proves to be as advertised, I think he does bring an important element that is lacking and holding this team back. I think Olsen is going to have to start risking it, perhaps against less potent attacks, just so that he has the option in important games when DC is trailing. That all said, Halsti didn't cover himself in glory during his cameo last night.
    But for my bold vision to work, the centerbacks need to come back into form. They're not awful, but neither Opare nor Birnbaum are showing their best right now. Also, speaking of the centerbacks and frustration, Boswell found himself in the NE penalty box during the run of play again. I can't tell if these are strategically-timed attacks of a savvy veteran or if Boswell get frustrated with the impotent offense and takes it upon himself to try to provide an extra spark.
    Kitchen was invisible and Arnaud was all over the field. That was disappointing, but I think Arnaud was being forced to defend more than is tenable for DC's current style of offense. Either he or Kitchen has to be willing and able to move forward and I don't think that was true last night. I'm blaming Kitchen just because I didn't notice him much.

As for the Davies not celebrating thing, my thought was at first was to question whether he was aware of the extent that the fanbase turned against him toward the end of his tenure at DC United. But everyone was excited at first, the organization did go out of its way to try to launch his comeback, there were not a few SG tributes to him and the AODC did immediately launch that "9" placard tribute after his injury. Ultimately, it was a nice nod to the role of the city and fans in his career. Perhaps egocentric, but you know, professional athlete and striker to boot, so . . .

20. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My biggest take away recently is while I have all these concerns about United, I look around and every club seems to have concerns as well. We are not juggernauts by any stretch, but we are strong enough to be near the top (especially in the east) this year.

Winoman repped this.
  21. dcjeffc

dcjeffc Member

Jun 4, 2015
    B-Squad on Tuesday. That sets DCU to play it's A-squad against Toronto and a Seattle team who will be roster handicapped by the Gold Cup - both teams they need to draw or win against if they have their sights set on the Supporter's Shield / 1st in the East.

Winoman and Oveki8 repped this.
  22. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    I used to be a youth league ref, and at that level I probably would have placed it outside the area since it was real close and the foul was probably more from awkwardness than intent. But obviously the call has to be made at the professional level. But lest we get too purist let's keep in mind that on any given corner kick or free kick in the box some defender commits a foul that isn't called.

23. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As do the attackers. :D

24. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, anyway, one of the most important aspects of yesterday's match that have gone surprisingly unremarked...

How did Jay get to stand with the referees for the opening coin toss and how did he manage to do so without giving 'em a swift boot up the backside?

Yeah yeah, SG propriety and all, but, still.

Remarkable restraint, that.

Winoman repped this.
  25. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Davy Arnaud is what happens when a good player gets too old and slow. Frustration sets in and yellow cards per game skyrockets. He would be a good player to bring in for the final 20 minutes with a one goal lead to help eat up clock. But otherwise he's becoming more of a liability.

This was not a pretty win. We are not a pretty team. When I think that we have the Supporter's Shield given our lack of attack, I am reminded of how mediocre this league is.

We are a long, long way from playing the Beautiful Game.

Winoman and The Cold Sea repped this.