Welcome Waibel: The New Era Begins

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Dec 16, 2014.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. yes, major kudos to the scouts. Andy and his crew have found their niche and are exploiting it.
    2. I understand there are more factors than Waibel, but he is THE GM. This is his job. If we sign a player that turns out to be a bust, he has to shoulder a good majority of the blame.

2. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With point 2, it's probably somewhat dependent on the scouts. If they're giving him poor info, or not the best targets, he's not going to have a lot to work with. That being said, things like giving Yura a big contract after a loan where he didn't light things up is definitely on him. I could see why they may have wanted to keep him, but there's no world where he earned 2 million per year.

It does feel like both sides have found their groove and seem to be working well together now.

3. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    But who is responsible for the scouts in the organization? Waibel. He hires and terminates them as he needs. He leads the scouting of the organization. So if they fail him... he is to blame for that failure. It is all part of being a leader in an organization.

Lizzie Bee, RSLer and Allez RSL repped this.
  4. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how much influence the head coach (Cassar then Petke) had on which players were acquired.

5. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he? I never knew that. That does make him more responsible in that case.

6. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good objective retrospective

7. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I can't speak for the dynamic in the current org, but this was a strength of the Kreis/Lagerwey pairing. Garth would track players and keep a vast number of prospects warm, and then when a need developed he'd get Kreis's input on a particular player and then either work towards a deal or pivoting to an alternate prospect.

RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  8. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Can someone remind me the timing of when Waibel was made GM. Was it before last season?

9. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't he promoted 2-3 seasons ago when Lagerway left (end of 2014?)?

Todorojo repped this.
  10. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    rslfanboy repped this.
  11. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Allez RSL repped this.
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waibel was listed as TD but was doing the duties of a GM.

13. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Waible spent the first year as TD level in rank with HC and both reporting directly to the President. The reason was Bill Manning didn't want Cassar former assistant out ranking him. After Bill left Craig became GM.

14. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    The GM typically reports to the President, so I don't think that's the reason. Manning tended to dabble in soccer related decisions, and DLH felt he should only concentrate on the business side so he wanted to separate the two.

A TD duties and GM duties are quite different although in many organizations a GM will also perform the TD role. I think the reason for naming Waibel TD initially was to minimize the responsibility as he learned the job. Now that Waibel also has the Royals to look out for, they've added a TD to support him.