Welcome to Old Trafford #7 Alexis Sánchez :)

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    He will score two against Newcastle

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports have surfaced of how the Arsenal dressing room did not care for Alexis.

www.balls.ie/football/reports-emerge-much-arsenal-dressing-room-hated-alexis-sanchez-385008

It's really not much of a surprise tbh. We've seen clearly how frosty things looked between Alexis and his teammates at Arsenal at the end of his stay at Arsenal. He wants to win, above all else, so when his expectations are not met, it's no wonder he must be a hard guy to be around.
    Not to mention that the lackadaisical attitude towards excelling and winning at that club, must have driven him nuts. He made it very clear as soon as he won the FA Cup in his first season at the club that he was looking forward to challenge for the big trophies: big fail in that dept...

6. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Concern about Sanchez's form is warranted, but he was after a January transfer and it's generally fairly difficult for a January transfer to make a massive, instant impact.

Still, I have my doubts as to whether Sanchez is a good fit for us. Probably, but maybe not.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mourinho expects Sanchez to be at his best next season.

www.espn.com/soccer/manchester-united/story/3417730/jose-mourinho-alexis-sanchez-will-be-even-better-by-manchester-next-season?src=com

Precisely why bringing him in at this time was the right move. Not only gives Sanchez a few more months to get used to the club and his new teammates, but it also gives Jose the time to figure out where he will fit better in the context of the team.
    Couple that with a full summer off (his first in 4yrs btw) and we can expect to see Sanchez at his world class best next season, right from the start of the season.

8. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

9. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    973842355546673152 is not a valid tweet id

10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    42 times is absolutely inexcusable. That's ground for getting benched for a couple games after a shocker like that.

11. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Jose should try one game without him. Let's see if that brings any improvement to our formation.

12. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I didn’t watch the game last night but based on the average touch position map I saw, and previous games in general, we desperately need to start telling our players to stick to their positions far more often. Fluidity is fine, but it also needs players to realise when the best thing they can do for the team is hug the touchline and create space for others.

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's time for Sanchez to get dropped - Charlie Nicholas

www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11288963/alexis-sanchez-does-not-deserve-to-be-in-manchester-united-team-says-charlie-nicholas

Sanchez's performance level simply has not been up to scratch, it's that simple. And that's why, for the good of the team, for the time being he needs to be dropped.
    Not only it will perhaps give Jose a chance to find out how best to use him in the context of the team as a whole. But also, it just might give Sanchez the desire to really prove himself when he does have an opportunity. His salary r status gives him no divine right to start, that much is certain.

14. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    That goes back to the coach of teaching the when and where concept. Citeh players know that, if Silva slides to the left Sane will not stay on the touchline he ll to the middle to create a passing lane, etc... you get the point.

I still do not know what Mourinho's football philosophy is, can someone please explain to me? (not the psychology stuff)

Chaz Striker repped this.
  15. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    :(

973928061841428480 is not a valid tweet id

16. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I think this is still on Jose. There's been a handful of times this year where the wide players held their position and provided width. Its after he brought on certain players [basically Rashford and Martial]. There's been one or two occasions where Mata was hugging the touchline for an extended period. Almost like last resorts in some games where we couldnt break down the opposition.

-------------------------------

I would not bench Sanchez at all. I realize things dont look good. He needs to play to get to know his teammates. He needs to adjust [unfortunately Jose will be here for at least another year] Jose's "game plan".

I really hope we just play him upfront with Lukaku.

DDG

TFM
    Bailly
    Lindelof
    Young

Herrera
    McTominay

Mata
    Sanchez
    Martial

Lukaku

17. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Personally, I think Sanchez's problem is trying too hard. He needs to settle the ******** down.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs to first and foremost stick to a much more forward position on the pitch. So he can actually do what he does best and have a real influence on the attack.
    Him dropping deep and be another de facto CM does him, nor the team/attacking scheme no good at all (especially when he's as prone as losing the ball as he is).

19. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My read on it is the Mou is not a passing / possession manager like the Barca/Arsenal teams Sanchez is used to. Mou has the full backs and centre mids on a fairly tight leash, so Sanchez just doesn't get the options on support he is used to for short one-twos etc.

Also if you were an oppo team, after Lukaku who would you prioritise marking? Lingard and Mata are not that dangerous aways from goal and Martial / Rash are having to play the wrong wing - so teams seem to be doubling-up on Sanchez with ease.

Plus he is also in new-guy hero / trying too hard mode - so he keeps doing too many take-ons and giving the ball away.

Personally would get him away from LWF as Martial / Rash most effective there (and is killing the space Pogs wants to use when he plays).

Would prefer Sanchez as SS or #10 - if he can roam and be a more advanced then harder to double-up on him and fewer players for him to have to beat (he seems to be running into trouble a long way out).

Father Ted, jeff070 and benni... repped this.
  20. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    If he is not a possession/passing manager, so he is a defensive manager and we hired him knowing that to get results and we know defensive tactics only get so many results.

21. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    My problem is this heat map is simple. Mourinho is trying to play short passing link up play with this front players, I am good with that.

1) Look at the space between the front players and the full backs. There is no outlet for the front four when they run out of options or when they want to stretch Sevilla. The full backs are too far behind, by the time they do come over the final third like Young he is double teamed because the opposition has time to regroup. We were defending too deep.

2) Look at the gap between the midfield number 14 and number 31. Another big gap, another difficulty to keep the ball when under pressure as there is no outlet. when our player plays the ball backwards to Matic, he is too far away to keep the pressure in the final third, so he has to play it back to the center back. We saw smalling and Bailly being pressured by Muriel and Vazquez centrally and Sarabia and Correa on the full backs.

Solution under Mourinho:

1) McTominay links the midfield with his positioning and simple passing, he is the rope between Matic and the front four, he needs to play.
    2) A ball playing center back needs to partner Bailly, preferably Jones for me or Blind. Push the line up higher get the front attackers closer to their defense midfield (Matic).

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    if he's not going to do anything on the left, he might as well not do anything on the right instead

Martial should play on the left

johno, Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 and Ashur repped this.
  24. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    this is what i was afraid of when i said i didn't think either player in the swap would work out.

i was hoping city would have taken him and forced him into a well oiled machine and ruin it. instead we are the ones trying to crowbar him into a side that was at least partially functional.

i hope he comes good but between formation and our coach i can't see it at the moment

25. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    These players do not perform because they are not given the platform to perform. Fergie, with these same players, would have the club in a much better position.

LGRod repped this.