Welcome to Old Trafford #7 Alexis Sánchez :)

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From where I sit, the point remains that the longer Sanchez stays with (and does not perform to boot), he's becoming less and less of a valuable commodity (to us or anyone else).
    It's not like his best years are ahead of him after all, so in a choice between Sanchez, who may be on the decline of an up and coming talent, in the verge, I don't think that the answer (in who to pick) is that straightforward.
    Having seen how he's performed presumably for almost a year and a half, I'd actually would be leery of getting Sanchez at this point, particularly on high wages.

2. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You could have a point, if Alexis would be played all the time, as how he performs the best, with a whole team more worried on playing on an attack mode.

But as since, he plays under a Mourinho style, which enhances above all, a strong defensive duty, and gives very little concern on attacking permanently the opponent, you really will never get the best from Alexis, and will also never see what the guy can really perform.

Alexis is not the only top player, among all the top players that Mou has ever had before in the past that also under performed while being under his tutelage as coach. Numbers are counted by the dozens of players whom have underperformed while being under his commands, that once got rid of him (being due to Mou's sacking, or them being sold elsewhere), that afterwards regained back the level they had before, where some even start to even play better.

For the case of Alexis, he has a long history behind him being a top performer (started to shine when he was only 16 years old), and has been a top perfomer for almost all his past time, under many coaches and diferent teams and only really declined, once under Mou (which only happened about 10 months ago). To be honest with him, his last year at Arsenal, sure wasn't one of his best years there, but at the moment he signed for Manchester United, despite not being his best year, his overall numbers were still among Arsenal's best, at the time.

Given his very short lapse of time under performing, it's not so difficult for anyone to think that at some point of time in the near future, he'll recover his form.

Not likely, to ever happen under Mou, though. As the one thing you can always be sure of, is that Mou will always give preference to defending more, than attacking. And Alexis, although he can defend and back-track well, his biggest asset really comes going forward in a joint force of many players doing so (never alone, doing so).

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The problem is wenger had no structure in his side on that role he played

Quality teams u mentioned do have a structure

Alexis is a guy who cannot function in a particular system lw because he likes to misplace passes all over the pitch

He is absolutely not on the radar of top European sides if they watched him at Utd

4. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #254 Rickdog, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    According to recent diferent foreign press (last month), you are wrong.

PSG still interested ....

https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/premier-league/psg-interesa-por-alexis-sanchez-7121191
    https://www.todomercadoweb.es/mercado/psg-interes-en-alexis-sanchez-para-el-proximo-verano-269372
    Also Atletico Madrid and Valencia in his radar :

https://www.elgoldigital.com/atleti...a-cf-finalistas-en-fichaje-de-alexis-sanchez/

And as posted before, also Real Madrid :

https://www.oncenoticias.hn/alexis-sanchez-podria-firmar-con-el-real-madrid-en-invierno/

Real question here, is how much money is Manchester United willing to let him go, for, as Alexis's current wages are huge (a bar, really set by the same Manchester United, when they decided to sign him, as if it would have been for less, Alexis would sure have chosen to sign for the other Manchester team, as it was his original desire, when he wanted to quit from the mediocre team where he was before). If it happens to be for free, many top teams will line up to attempt to snatch him, and all that Manchester United would win with it, is to not have to pay for his wages, for the next 3 years.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lol at alexis in Diego’s system!

Real would not de stabilise what their new coach is implementing and PSG have neymar who is also an issue but twice the player

6. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Give Sanchez over Rashford anyday .. .

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So, Sanchez is done until 2019 and when he does return we will have a player who will have turned 30 (in a few weeks) coming off the back of a major hamstring injury.

What a spectacular 2018 failure this has turned out to be on every level - with huge impacts on other players playing time, motivation and contracts.

Lets hope Mou and more importantly Woody have learned something about pouring money (whether transfer fees or in this case wages/bonus) into ageing players.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Anyone holding out hope for. Revival from this guy?

11. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nope. I don't know how we will move forward but I still don't think he can be a part of any thing meaningful

benni... repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do, for this season at least. Provided we primarily play him more centrally, as an alternative to or to spell Lukaku, if somehow he fails to recover form.
    The frontline will definitely be a point of focus next summer, but my hope for the next 6mos for starters is that we put an emphasis on speed and movement. Sanchez can be useful to us, in that style.

benni... repped this.
  13. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's obviously unlikely he will ever get back to his very best given his age and now coming off a fairly serious injury. That said, I think all of our attacking players deserve a chance to be evaluated in a team with both a real modern offensive system in place and a manager who wants them to play attacking football.

Sanchez was still very good towards the end of his time at Arsenal, and while it's possible he turned into a lemon overnight, I think the fact that so many of our attacking players have seen their production collapse over the same period he struggled (Lukaku and Lingard to name two others) suggests broader causes (i.e. Jose's inability to build any sort of coherent attacking plan). At the very least I suspect he can still be a very useful spark plug attacker as a substitute, but I am interested to see what another manager can get out of him playing from the right.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 and benni... repped this.
  14. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Expect a bump in form from all the strikers - as should have a midfield setup better able to create / support and would expect closer support from wing-forwards or a support striker.

The all suffered in different ways from Mou - Sanchez from having to do his hero runs from isolated and too deep and wide positions. He was a turnover machine used that way.

benni... repped this.
  15. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Im still very hopeful on Sanchez coming through with midfield setup to attack and press.

16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm not sure how much our new playing style will help Rom, but I think it will definitely benefit Sanchez. He thrived at Arsenal while being surrounded by constant movement off the ball. Plus he'll see the ball much closer to goal than under Jose. I'm hopeful he can regain some form and hopefully its on the right flank.

Gilma1990 and benni... repped this.
  17. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I expect a noticeable improvement in production from Sanchez. Not so sure about Lukaku.

18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think he'll have an impact. Even if he isn't in the XI every match, having another player who can play a couple of those positions is helpful not just to keep everyone fresh, but also to keep them on their toes.

19. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Im very positive now Sanchez can be utilised properly.

gatekeeper2 repped this.
  20. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No doubt about it. It’s up to Alexis himself to find it within him, but I have very little doubt Ole can help Alexis find his Udinese form.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was never personal with Sanchez or the belief he was washed up, but he simply was not a good fit for us under Mourinho's system, a luxury we absolutely could have done without.
    I don't expect either that his performance level will eradicate the need for a right sided forward. But there is little doubt that he'll be a much better player going forward, on par with the player we grew to be familiar with at Arsenal.
    We had the effort from him (arguably ran around too much, like a headless chicken), which pretty much rules out him being done physically just yet. He was just was aimless in our disorganized attack and like pretty much everyone of our forwards, he should benefit greatly from the recent switch.
    Sidenote, some videos of him working out at Carrington on his own on Christmas Day have been released. Perhaps a bit self serving, but it shows nonetheless how eager he appears to be to get back and finally show United fans the real Sanchez.

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The issue with Sánchez is he needs a completely free role. The issue is POgba also needs freedom. Sanchez doesn’t work well with quick forwards imo he seemed effective with giroud than anyone else up top at arsenal in the same way hazard is with giroud

I think his heads gone and if u can, bin him off ASAP

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #273 Ashur, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    As previously discussed though, letting him go may not be as easy as it appears with his age and his massive contract. We've got got 5mos to see if he can turn things around and make himself useful. Might as well take advantage of the time and see what's what. But there still could be a decision that needs to be made in regards to him at some point in the future.

thebigman repped this.
  24. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ole has given Pogba license on the left. Will he give Sanchez a chance on the right?

We shall see.

If not, I don’t see a role for Sanchez that he would accept.

25. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Just posted that on another Sanchez should be given role like Lingard vs Cardiff starting on right side.