Welcome Mesut Ozil! The Gunners nation salute you!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by charlie15, Sep 2, 2013.

1. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Im still around btw

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nobody wants you here, nobody wants to read your posts

You must be the least popular person on big soccer

3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can we call him German Teso?

Shen-O and thebigman repped this.
  4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Is anyone in touch with Teso?

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Folks, don't feed trolls, especially not with insults. Thanks.

6. BostonGoon

BostonGoon New Member

May 9, 2019
    [QUOTE="

So not defending his Erdolf man love - but I guess sadly he has been seduced just as he felt betrayed[/QUOTE]

Yes you are.

7. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why lol

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think you are missing the difference between explaining what has happened and "defending"

While it shouldn't be required, for the record I don't defend anyone palling around with Adolf-lite (including for that matter Lothar let me selfie with Putin Matthäus

However the perspective of Turks in Germany is rather different to Uli Hoeness and that has been delved into by many commentators over here.

I can't be arsed to repost lots of what was already discussed in the thread.

But short version - when Turks and other minorities saw racist AfD engaging in bigoted attacks on Ozil, it went a long way to confirming their own views that he never would be accepted as a "true german" and by extension them neither. This was made worse when instead of defending their player against racist attacks - DFB threw him under a bus.

According to journalists who are connected to Ozil's camp, the player went on the same journey - indeed many of his circle had been telling him that for years.

I see it as tragic really - where both sides are guilty of extremely crappy behaviour.

So what happened does not justify Ozil running off with Erdolf - but Erdolf has very successfully exploited the bigotry that emerged in 2018 for his own purposes

By far the more interesting question is where that leaves young Turks in this country

Erdolf/Ozil provide convenient hate figures for middle germany but it reveals the identity issues that still exist here

In my personal view, Ozil has been very stupid, because he had a lot of sympathy but he went too far

Super Llama repped this.
  9. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Athletes like the rest of us have blind spots, biases and even prejudices, e.g. Tiger Woods pals around with Trump. Ozil's friendship with Erdogan is a bad look, but at least Ozil hasn't been accused of drunk driving or spousal abuse and to the best of our knowledge he hasn't, seduced a teammate's or relative's wife.

BTW in case anyone wants to argue that Tiger's friendship with Trump is not in the same catagory as Ozil's friendship with Erdogan, I would point out that Erdogan and his government roundly condemned the Saudis for the assassination of Jamal Khoshoggi, while Trump's first reaction was to defend the Crown Prince.

Super Llama repped this.
  10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is a good comparison and I think Woods/Trump is quite similar.

It reveals the double standards. Woods or Matthäus don't cop the same flak

DFB also organised a friendly with Saudi in the buildup to the world cup which a lot of people notes was quite ill considered if they want to spout about Erdolf.

It's also gets into some complex stuff around citizenship. Because germany usually does not allow dual, Ozil gave up his Turkish passport. But many turks living here hold turkish citizenship, or like Ozil, consider themselves both turkish and german

There were some quite fascinating discussions from the community here - not defending Ozil, but rather talking about the complicated identity issues of being a german turk.

Super Llama repped this.
  11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This might be true from a foreign pov but as a German citizen it basically disqualifies you in all possible regards if you strike up friendships with dictators. If you know what I mean.

Matthaeus is the exception to the rule here as he is considered a queer customer in the wider public. He could basically walk in front of Brandenburg Gate, take a shit in front of everyone and yell Scheiß auf Deutschland, Sieg Heil to Putin and nobody would care or be surprised. It's not a coincidence he has never gotten a job in Bundesliga.

You can call that double standards or racism if you like but that does not describe actual reality. The racism argument is bs for about 85 % of his haters who are not pathological racists. It's a tool to from his marketing agency in order to avoid answering inconvenient questions.

Gündogan, same background and same offense committed, apologized and was never be seen with Erdolf again. The dude was celebrated at the last game.

Turks in Germany have no reason to be offended. Unless they feel offended by getting criticized for supporting a (foreign) dictator. But hey then you're probably wrong in a western democracy like Germany. Good riddance

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  12. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

13. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You know, there is that place just 15 kms from the big city I live in where every student has to go to around 8/9th grade. That place is called Dachau. I know better than you in any case

14. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've actually lived under dictators. There are these things called elections. Dictators don't allow them.

The Jitty Slitter and Shen-O repped this.
  15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Again, seeing as I don't defend Ozil's Erdolf love - I don't see much need to respond to this.

However that does not excuse the obvious racially motivated attacks from AfD and co that DFB said nothing about.

I agree Dawg has been much smarter. But also Dawg was not thrown under the bus by Bierhof post tournament.

This really illustrates the problem.

They see AfD as the fascists, and Erdolf as the guy many of them democratically voted for.

Super Llama repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Safe to say this area is a real minefield with german turkish and i tend to stay well out of it.

Many living here actually voted for him as they are citizens, or have family back home who support him.

The rationalisation tends to be that he is better than the other guys, or saved the country from the military etc.

it's a shame it has become so divisive.

Super Llama repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    [​IMG]

18. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How naive are you?

19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Bring back neg rep for citing Warne. Only good thing Warne ever did was bowling that ball that went through Ian Healey's legs in Karachi in 1994.

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Better? :p

[​IMG]

mebeSajid repped this.
  21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You see this doesn't help you. I let your lengthy post above stay because, regardless of whether one agrees with it, it offered insight from a different perspective and wasn't trolling. This quoted post is trolling. You know nothing about this person, where he has lived, what he has experienced, but nevertheless choose to attack him personally by calling him naive. Cut it out or you'll be adding this forum to the others you've been banned from.

NorthBank repped this.
  22. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes. I think everyone I knew dreamed of being Waqar Younis, Imran Khan, or Javed Miandad when I was a teenager. At least until Shahid Afridi came along :).

23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Ha! I am a 80s gen Xer so Miandad and Imran Khan are from the first generation of stars I knew

24. Sarcasm Bot

Sarcasm Bot Member+

Nov 4, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    [​IMG]

look, it's the ozil thread.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps this is a good general warning to all who post on these fora.