Welcome Mesut Ozil! The Gunners nation salute you!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by charlie15, Sep 2, 2013.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #1876 The Jitty Slitter, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Interesting

Rough translation is that those who want the ball like Ozil or Thorgan Hazard have strong mentality.

When things don't go well people are quick to say players are half a step too slow in the challenge etc etc but games tend to be decided by footballing aspects rather than "mentality"

2. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Bale has luck to it, but they also signed a lot of excellent players

e.g the back 4
    eg GK

Also they have consistently come up with some good midfielders e.g. Modric, Ali, Dembele

3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Their recruitment hasn't been great either. They basically got really lucky with Kane and Alli, and made a couple of good signings, but a lot of bad signings too.

4. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    :D:D

is this serious?

5. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I'm guessing this is Kramer's response to an interview question. What does he mean by footballing aspects?

6. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. Are you equating Kane and Ali being out for a month or so with Sokratis out for a month and Holding, Welbeck, and Bellerin out until September?

7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Er, no. But I am suggesting that a squad that's had 10 fairly regular 1st team players out for a month has hardly had great 'injury luck'. All of:

Alli (twice)
    Kane
    Vertonghen (twice)

Wanyama
    Dier
    Rose
    Davies
    Sanchez
    Aurier
    Lloris

… have had month-long-plus injuries. Drop the standard by 3 or 4 days, and you can add Eriksen, Sissoko, and Trippier, as well.

The fact that our pockets are so much shallower than the minted clubs of the Prem inclines lots of folks tend to say, 'great first eleven, but they don't have the depth to compete at the top'. And the fact that we're around the top (again) makes quite a few of them unwittingly add 2+2 and come up with five.

The fact is that we've had loads of injuries throughout this season; but we've also got a quality-in-depth that almost no one gives us credit for. Every time one of 'em goes down, people (including a lot of our own) say we'll struggle to maintain form (or at least results); but thus far we have. I'm aware - and as annoyed as anyone - that we've won nothing. And I recognize our shortcomings. But the fact is - even if we continue to fall at the final hurdle - we're not lucky, we're bloody good.

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Spurs had more injuries but a better squad

9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Spurs vastly outperformed arsenal on talent in recent years. Not sure it's even close. Arsenal can simply pay much higher wages

Super Llama repped this.
  10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It’s embareasing how shit our recruitment has been

Super Llama repped this.
  11. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This season, yes.

You can be lucky and good, btw.

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Spurs have hired better drug mules - Wenger wasn't very good at juicing

Shen-O repped this.
  13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fair enough. I need to hang out in the Spurs forum as much as you hang out here so I'll be up on such things. :D

Difficult to tell since you didn't use the quote function, but if you're speaking to me, I didn't opine one way or the other as to whether your club has depth or is good. My point was that our injury bad luck stacks up to anyone's this season.

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

You'll be amazed how much you'll learn. :D

It wasn't to anyone in particular. I was just implying that (or wondering if, actually) the common misperception that we have no depth might, in light of our continued competitiveness, lead to the perception that our depth has not been tested, when in fact it has been. All season.

15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Cosmo's analysis is wrong. Özil regularly desurfaced in the big games of his career:

Germany - Spain 2010
    Germany - Italy 2012
    Real - Dortmund CL semis 2013
    Germany - France 2014
    Germany - Brazil 2014
    Germany - Argentina 2014
    Germany - France 2016
    numerous classicos

Özil didnt want the ball in those but rather easy games against minnows, not helping Bremen or Schalke to win against Bayern, Real didnt look well in CL or against Barca, Özil also didnt deliver in the decisive title winning games.

Özil could be up there with Beckenbauer and Matthäus but he isnt cause he shat his pants publicly when it mattered.

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    OK - i am gad that is sorted

banco and Shen-O repped this.
  17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, all settled. Whew, what a relief.

banco and Shen-O repped this.
  18. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read an interview with Wenger this morning. He is claiming that Ozil has gotten "comfortable" since signing his new contract and has not played with the same intensity that he did prior.

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I found this a bit strange seeing Ozil has barely played

20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wenger is chatting shyte.

banco repped this.
  21. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played early in the year though and wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire. Think he has had 1-2 games where he actually showed up. The rest have been very meh. Also found it interesting that this interview came out a day after Ozil posted Instagram photos of himself on a movie set in Turkey.

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Remember he had no summer break, and actually had got into some nice form by the time of the Leicester game

I just find it strange to complain about the lack of intensity when he has not started since xmas

the whole situation is bizarre

As Wenger also said, an Ozil quality player costs 100m

Yet we make no use of him

Tonerl and casoccerdad47 repped this.
  23. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went and looked it up. Leicester was the 12th non-preseason match. Of those 12 Ozil started 10. Leicester was the 1st that he showed up and played a decisive role. After Leicester he had poor starts against Liverpool & Wolves and that is where he started losing PT. I recall everyone being pissed after those 2 games due to his poor performance, negative body language and presumed lack of focus in the match.

After Wolves, he went 5 matches without a start. Then got an EL start where he disappeared. Next start was against Burnley and if I recall that was a good game for him. Very next match against Brighton, another bad performance where we dropped points.

Since then he has had 1 uninspiring start against Cardiff.

My viewpoint... I don't think it is any one influence in the decision to sit Ozil. The FO may have ultimately handed down the instructions but I have a hard time believing they would have sat him if he was playing well. If they truly wanted him gone it would be easier if he was in good form. Instead I think he rubbed Emery wrong. Maybe it was his body language, lack of defensive effort or maybe something we don't see (film study, practice, etc...). Either way Emery decided to sit him as punishment and he has either stayed there because of his lack of form or the FO decided to leave him there to compel him to leave.

NorthBank repped this.
  24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    You assert Ozil had poor starts against Liverpool and Wolves. By whose stanards, our expectations of Ozil? I haven't gone back to re watch the games, so I can't comment on his defensive efforts, but against Liverpool he created 4 of the 12 shots Arsenal managed in the game and against Wolves in 74 minutes he completed one fewer pass than all of the other attacking players combined. Ozil completed 74 of 81 passes, vs a combined total of 75 of 101 passes for Iwobi, Lacazette, Aubameyang, Ramsey, and Mhiki.

Tonerl repped this.
  25. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t remember the Wolves game, but he was our best player against Liverpool. (And he got thrown in the bin shortly after for his troubles.)

This is something that is forgotten by the otherwise relatively reasonable set that argues his supporters will hold no truck with any criticism of Özil: those supporters are so used to having to defend good to excellent performances by any objective standard against nonsense accusations of ‘invisibility’ or ‘lack of fight’ or ‘negative body language’ or even being downright shit.