Welcome Mesut Ozil! The Gunners nation salute you!

Dieses Thema im Forum 'Arsenal' wurde von charlie15 gestartet, 2 September 2013.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    23 Juli 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    What is that theory?

How does not playing Ramsey make any sense? He's leaving. We pay him. Why not play him?

2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

16 Juni 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should be running him into the ground between now and May. Not to be mean, but because we need to.

The Jitty Slitter gefällt dies.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    23 Juli 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Absolut!

4. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

31 März 2006
    I hadn't connected Ramsey's contract withdrawal to the formation change, but they do overlap in November. Gazidis on the other hand announced he was leaving in September.

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I might suggest that Ramsey and Ozil aren't being played, because if they do play and play well, fans might turn on Arsenal for letting Ramsey leave on a free and for trying to force Ozil out. That said, If coaching decisions are being made for pubic relations considerations, I have a huge issue with both the management and Emery.

5. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

16 Februar 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The theory is that Emery isn't making the decision to not play Ozil: it's Sanllehi and/or Kroenke because Ozil makes too much money. The goal is to force him out by not playing him.

I'm expanding on that theory with Ramsey, because we had an agreement in principle, which then got pulled - my working theory is that we got to a certain point with Gazidis, things continued after he left, and Sanllehi pulled the offer after he consolidated his position.

Not playing Ramsey doesn't make any sense.

6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

16 Februar 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Also, why does HOLY SHIT stuff keep dropping on Fridays:

7. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

31 März 2006
    If the goal is to make the Champions League, not playing Ozil doesn't make much sense either.

8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

16 Juni 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno. That speaks really poorly of Emery if he's being pushed around on a personnel decision like this. Not saying it's not a possibility, but I'm skeptical about the idea that Emery doesn't have any hand in this. As for Kroenke --- that's really schizophrenic. We have to assume he approved the huge salary bump in January 2018. And now he's been so easily convinced to do a 180 on that? I mean I guess this part most have a lot of truth to it regardless of whether Raul is behind this with or without Emery's approval.

This, I absolutely buy.

Absolutely. None whatsoever.

9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    23 Juli 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I just don't trust a man who earns millions but has such bad hair

No wonder the players can't follow him

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

22 August 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Götzil

maskito, mebeSajid und yossarian gefällt dies.
  11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

16 Februar 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It just seems weird to me that Emery would try to sign Ozil while he was at PSG, and then decide he hated Ozil's game ten months later?

Makes more sense as a power play by Sanllehi given the timeline. Ozil played regularly until the November interlull. And he stopped playing after that. That's around the same time we started hearing stories that Ramsey's contract offer was pulled.

12. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

9 Dezember 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The upper management of the club has changed completely and new flavors of the same bullshit keep appearing. The only constant is Kroenke, so until proven otherwise this is Kroenke's fault.

13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

16 Juni 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know. I listened to the Arsecast with Ornstein where he mentioned that Emery was interested in bringing Ozil to PSG. I still find it hard to believe that Emery would be okay with a conversation that would have to go something along these lines:
    Emery: Ok, so you want me to get back into the CL by hook or by crook but I can't play one of the most creative players in Europe (if not the world) to do so? Ok, sure.

I have little doubt that the preference came down from on high. But I feel like Emery must've at some level said, "Yeah, I think I can make that work."

But who knows.

DaPrince84, casoccerdad47 und mebeSajid gefällt dies.
  14. chjoak

chjoak Member+

17 Juni 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see a world were Emery wanted Ozil at PSG but no longer wants him at Arsenal. Think about it...

Under Mourinho, Ozil showed he was capable of tracking back and pressing some.
    Under Wenger he didn't track back much but he was more active than he is now and his offensive contribution was very good.
    Under Emery he has played little to no D, he seems to refuse to press and his offensive contribution has been lacking.

15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

16 Juni 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, sure. But haven't the team's offensive numbers as a whole been poorer? Seems a bit unfair to single out Ozil if that's been the case. And yes, I'm aware that being said, we're still near the top overall in goals scored --- or were for a while.

DaPrince84 und Shen-O gefällt dies.
  16. Shen-O

Shen-O Guest

Wengerball > Emeryball. Our chance creativity sucks. We don’t touch, we can’t hold, all we do is run the same play over and over. Quick triangle passes in the center, go wide, driven crosses...its elementary play. @yossarian meant to quote you

mebeSajid gefällt dies.
  17. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

16 Februar 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I’ve got a great track record running all streaks.

Shen-O gefällt dies.
  18. chjoak

chjoak Member+

17 Juni 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've had some poor stretches and missed somes sitters but are still currently tied for 3rd in GF and are on pace for 77 which is 3 more then last season.

19. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

16 Juni 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. But isn't our xG, shots per 90, chance creation, etc., not that great. Thus, why some are claiming we're now just seeing a regression to the mean?

20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

31 März 2006
    I would expect better, with Aubameyang available for the entire season and Lacazette not missing a long stretch of games due to injury, like he did last season.

Shen-O gefällt dies.
  21. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

31 März 2006
    It was easy to side with Emery over his dust up with Neymar at PSG, Neymar can behave like a petulant child, but seeing it repeated with Ozil, one has to wonder about his approach to big players. Strangely enough, in some ways Emery seems to be a throwback to an old school English coach, never mind the skill level, just give me 11 players that will run until they drop.

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

25 Mai 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I feel bad for emery as I feel the ozil decision is above him

I don’t k ow how I feel at this point, back to the usual apathy lol

We won’t win anything, finish 6th and the cycle resumes

We can’t afford anyone to make us better, we need to do a spurs but that is not likely

23. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

31 März 2006
    Remember that Spurs were only able to do a Spurs because they sold Bale for a lot of money.

thebigman gefällt dies.
  24. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

16 Februar 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    More like doing a Liverpool. Don't forget just how bad Liverpool were after Rafa left.

thebigman und Tonerl gefällt dies.
  25. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    10 Mai 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They mostly squandered the Bale money, though.

They’ve been much better since that fiasco, but I think there’s real evidence they’ve been extremely lucky in a lot of ways. Certainly Pochettino seems like a legitimate top-tier coach, but even that was basically winning the lottery.

It will be interesting to see if they can keep up the hot streak with recruitment in their coming austerity period.

And don’t even get me started on their injury luck...

mebeSajid gefällt dies.

Die Seite empfehlen